What's with DTS CDs being packaged as DVD-Audio?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Taplin, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Chris Taplin

Chris Taplin Extra

I noticed that there are numerous DTS CDs being packaged in the same special CD Cases as DVD-Audio DVDs? Are these actually the same DTS CDs I bought years ago, just repackaged or are they actually DVDs with the same encoding as the older DTS CDs? Is DTS part of the DVD-Audio specification?

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

DTS Entertainment does release DVD-A titles like the 2 Queen releases,and yes they started to use the larger jewel cases as well,since all their current releases are DVD-A/DTS.
    I see that some of the older DTS only titles are also repackaged and displayed along with DVD-As at least at BB,and it does create confusion.If the packaging doesn't mention DVD-A specifically then it's some repackaged DTS CD only.
    DTS isn't part of the DVD-A specs,at least not mandatory.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    They use these cases so people will get the idea that they are not regular redbook CDs. DTS was using the cases that DVD-A now comes in for DTS CDs a long time ago, but not all titles were released with them.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    caveat emptor

5. John Garcia

John
    Most places are clearing out DTS CDs, since no new DTS CDs will be manufactured, though some are still in production. So far, most DVD-As sound a bit better than the majority of the DTS CDs I have.

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

isn't DTS 24/48 and DVD-A 24/96 ?

I seen this at best buy and was confused too. I'm new to SACD and didn't realize some were sold as stereo only. what a bummer for me. had to go back and buy multi-channel. you would'nt believe how long I fiddled with my reciever and dvd-player trying to figure out why it was only 2 channel. then I decided to read the back of the cd case. damn it! [​IMG]

[​IMG] felt like a dummy! lol

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Actually they started to use it when they started to release DVD-A titles,and not much after they dropped their CD program all togheter.

8. John Garcia

John
    I have Sting's DTS Nothing Like the Sun in one of the DVD-A style cases, and I am pretty sure that predates any DVD-A software, so the cases seem to have been around for a while. I have seen various titles released at different times, in both styles of cases, on the shelf at the same time.

9. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

wish they wouldnt use the cases. maybe they have alot of them. lol

they dont fit anywhere [​IMG]

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well if you so sure then you may contact David DelGrosso for clarification,as he's the one who told us[local HTF-ers]about the changing in packaging style,and DVD-A support in early 2001.I also have that Sting cd I bought it right around that time.5/2001

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

DTS has released at least four new DTS-CDs the past year:

Midnight Oil's Capricornia

Studio Voodoo's Club Voodoo (6.1 dance club music; in the DTS-ES format)

Zoe (a self-titled album by a pop singer from England).

And a disc from Steve Lukather, a founding member of Toto.

I'm pretty sure these discs are much easier--and cheaper--to produce than dvd-audios, so I'll bet DTS will keep them around for more risky(?) artists.

My theory on their use of super-jewel cases for these types of discs: us audio types will know the difference between dvd-audio (and hence hi-res sound) and DTS & will know to look for that feature on the case; for the Regular Joe that just enjoys hearing surround music & doesn't fuss over sampling rates and lossy formats, he will see that big case and say to himself "Hey, surround music is inside!" and he'll go home, stick it in his player and it works. And anyway they are marked very obviously with the phrase "dvd-audio" or "music disc" in large letters right on the front label just in case.

FYI: it will be interesting to see what comes out of DTS' venture with EMI announced last August and their "Signature Series" of dvd-audio titles supposedly featuring some of EMI's better artists. Yep, EMI has some better artists all right, including some dudes from Liverpool..........

LJ

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That Midnight Oil disc is the best surround mix I've ever heard, in 6.1 DTS-ES no less.

13. John Garcia

John
    The Studio Voodoo stuff is some of the best DTS stuff I've heard.

At the time I picked up NLTS, there were basically no "normal" consumer DVD-A players, and there certainly was no software available at Tower or any other chain music stores locally, so for all intents and purposes, it was not a readily accessible format to the public. I knew what it was, but had no idea it had anything to do with the funny sized cases.