What's with dish network only offering CBS in HD

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Andres Munoz, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I called them to get info on their High Def upgrade and inquired about HD programming. The only local that they're offering in HD is CBS! Why is that??

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

You're in New York so it makes no difference, but the CBS HD channels available on satellite are feeds from the CBS stations in New York and Los Angeles. It does make a difference to the rest of the country, which is why the CBS HD channels are available only in "O&O" cities where CBS owns the local station and not in cities where the local station is independently owned. The independently owned stations have a contract to be the exclusive provider of the networks' programming within their markets, and satellite feeds coming from distant cities would violate the contract.

Since News Corp owns DirecTV, supposedly a Fox HD feed will be coming to DirecTV by this Fall when Fox begins doing HDTV, very likely subject to the same O&O limits.

Otherwise, the other networks are apparently not interested in making New York and L.A. HD feeds available to other cities, even their O&O cities.

3. Andres Munoz

You lost me there. Why are the other local stations HD feeds not offered by Dish?

4. Wayne Bundrick

No matter how much Dish might want to do it, they can't if the networks don't agree to it.

5. Andres Munoz

I think I'm getting it. CBS allows Dish to broadcast CBS in NYC because they have their own station in NYC.

Does that mean that the other networks don't own stations in NYC? If not Dish, who has the rights to broadcast the HD feeds for the other networks?

6. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

I read once that the reason Dish offers CBS is because when they added it, Sears was the sponsor of one of CBS's HD broadcast (college football i think). So that they could show this in Sears stores, Dish added CBS. I might be wrong so someone please correct me if I am.

7. Wayne Bundrick

The other networks do own the stations in NYC. But like I said, they're not interested in having their HD available on satellite.

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Mike is correct in the history of CBS HD on satellite. I think it was such a success that CBS and DirecTV worked out a contract to do the same.

As for picking up all the NY and LA stations in HD, there isn't enough bandwidth. A transponder on a satellite can relay about 15 to 20 channels (depending on compression). DirecTV has trouble squeezing 2 HD channels on a transponder. Dish is a little better since they are using 8PSK as their modulation format and can get 3 HD channels per transponder.

DirecTV has announced the ED feed (and HD feed when it starts) of Fox. This will happen after DirecTV 7S is parked at the 119 location (launch date 5/2) and the locals that are now on CONUS transponders will be moved to spot beams. This will free up a few transponders at 101 and 119 for a couple of HD channels. DirecTV 5 will move from 119 to 72.1 (or somewhere really close) to carry another batch of locals. It won't free up any space for any HD.

DirecTV has mentioned using some satellites from the Hughes SpaceWay (satellite internet) system. According to people who have looked into this, DirecTV would be able to carry ALL of the local channels they have now in HD. It would require new dishes and switches so it won't happen over night.

-Robert

9. Andres Munoz

Hmmm, and here I was blaming Dish for this. It turns out it's the networks themselves. But why wouldn't they be interested in having their HD feeds available on Dish Network?