Whats With Circuit City's Low Prices The Last Few Months?

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Jim Saunders, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders Agent

Circuit City has been consistently undercutting Best Buy's prices the last few months, and I've been consistly price matching with no problem. They have has some insanely cheap prices on both movies as well as computer cames. I got Tiger Woods 05 for $10 at Best Buy because of a CC ad, even though none of there stores around here had it in stock. Normally a $40 game.

With movies, it seems to be a regular thing for CC to advertise cheap and not have them in stock. As a RewardZone member, I do my shopping at BB anyway, and they have everything in stock at one or the other store I go to.

So is this a ploy by CC to make BB lose money, or are they in financial trouble as a company and doing there best to undercut BB? This seems to be a new trend over the last few months.

2. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

This could have something to do with why their sales are in the crapper. If they want to run with the big boys (i.e. Best Buy), they really need to make changes in how they run their DVD dept. My local store has dramatically increased the size of DVD section in the last few years, but they still only order a handful of most catalog titles and then advertise the lowest price. The staff can't even be bothered to stock the floor before the store opens and usually they dispense DVDs to the masses straight from the boxes. Not a blueprint for success, imho.

The bottom line is why bother to advertise a low low price but not order enough product to satisfy demand? Sure this profits the savvy consumer but Best Buy, etc are the ones ringing up sales not CC. Pointless but beneficial to the DVD buying public.

3. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

Circuit City was one of the big boys, at least they used to be.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yep, lack of advertised product is why I no longer go to CC on a regular basis.

That and the stupid way they set up their DVD section. All facing front out instead of sideways, so you have to flip through them all to find the titles you're looking for rather than just scanning the spines. It really discourages browsing/impulse buying.

5. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

As far as I can remember Circuit City has never had a "user friendly" shopping experience. To me the extra $1 or $2 I pay at BB is worth the convenience.

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Jim,
    If you find CC's prices are cheaper, why not buy from them instead of price matching?
    If you don't buy from them, they will soon be gone and we will all have to pay what Best Buy wants us to.

To me, it isn't a matter of CC lowering their prices, it is more of Best Buy raising their prices of loss leader stuff.

7. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders Agent

I would gladly buy from CC, Doug, but they never have the advertised products in stock.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Right, I've had the same experience. I've made the trip to CC four or five times based on an advertised low price and they've NEVER had it in stock. Won't get fooled again.

9. Stephen J*

Stephen J* Stunt Coordinator

I haven't had a problem with CC having sale items in stock, but finding them is another story!

10. TommyJD

TommyJD Stunt Coordinator

Actually my CC and BB are within sight of each other.I'll always stop at the one offering the lowest price.Of course the CC has no clue on how to merchandise DVDs & CDs and their selection is super small compared to BB.Even that is an understatement.They have all the media crammed in a tiny area as you walk in the store.Browsing is out because there is nothing to browse in more that 2 minutes.

11. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    I went there to get the Mary Poppins SE a few weeks ago and they only had one copy and it looked like someone had run the cardbard cover through a shredder. No sale. Have never really had any good experiences with CC. Have bought a few online items with no problems though. The closest one is 40 miles while there is a BB about 8 miles away. Easy choice with $2.10 gasoline.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I find that the BB in my area has their new releases on the shelf (or almost all on the shelf) when they open on Tuesday. Meanwhile, the CC in my area is lucky if they have their DVDs on the shelf by Tuesday night. Not too hard to figure out where to go.

13. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Almost a year ago, I went to CC to buy a Panasonic 47X54 HD TV. The salesman asked the manager if it was in stock. The manager told me it's a discontinued item and they don't carry it, even though the unit was on their showroom floor and on their website.

So, I got in my car and traveled 1 mile south to Sears and bought the 53X54 for less than CC was offering the 47X54. I've had numerous bad experiences in CC and if they go down, it's their own doing.

I too have noticed Best Buy's prices slowly inching upwards and because of that I've been purchasing more stuff on-line the past few months.

Example Rio Carbon mp3 player:
    $200.00 - $20.00 rebate = $180.00 + tax @ B&M
    $161.00 - $20.00 rebate = $141.00 no tax, free shipping @ Amazon

-Gary

14. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders Agent

I've had numerous bad experiences at CC myself, just didnt post them all. I have no problems price matching CC's prices at BB either, so thats working out well for me.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree 100%. It's awful. You would think they'd have the brains to re-organize this as they are probably missing out on sales because of it. Best Buy's set-up is so much better.

I too have run into the problem of them advertising certain things only to go there and have them sold out ---- and give me hassle about a rain check!! This recently happened to me when they had the 3 movies for $30.00 with Kill Bill 1 and 2. Initially they would not give me a rain check since it was a "special offer." However, someone there broke down for me and finally gave me one against comapny policy (so she said).

16. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Wow... can't believe how negative this thread is...

I will ALWAYS go to CC over BB. One reason: "Customer service." Best Buy does not even know what this phrase means.

17. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Hey, some of us *would* like to shop at CC, but they aren't there to take our willing money.

If they can't stock the friggin' DVD when they advertise it or sell out in the first five minutes the store is open, what is the consumer to do?

I reluctantly shop at BB. It's The Most Evil Empire Not Currently Located In Redmond as far as I'm concerned. But as long as they put the week's new releases out on a table in huge stacks and I can price match CC*, I say 'ring it up, blue shirt.'

*Prices aren't the only thing going up at BB. Since Christmas, my local store (#221) has become increasing stringent in PMs. They do practically everything but check the ink on the damn thing and then they confiscate the ad at the conclusion of the sale.

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

To be honest, I don't deal much with the employees, so I don't care all that much about customer service.

When I can't find what I want to buy (Like what often happens at CC), they won't get my money.

Jason

19. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Best Buy is great for media selection, but they stock crap ass electronics IMO. If I am ever in the market for a really well made, feature laden TV/DVD player or anything of that ilk, I HAVE to go to CC (or better yet, Tweeter) because Best Buy never stocks the model (or manufacturer) I want. But I will agree that BB totally trumps CC in all aspects of media selection.

I have had nothing but good experiences buying electronics from CC, but find it frustrating to try to buy media product there for sure.

20. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Whenever I "run" into a BB (run is a lie since no stop there is shorter than 20 minutes), I make it a point to avoid the blueshirts. Anyone around the HTF knows more about movies and whatnot than their sales staff.

I can't tell you how many times I'm been looking around the DVD aisles in BB only to overhear a customer ask a blueshirt about a movie and get this as an answer: I don't know. Rule number one is to NEVER tell the customer you don't know. And they didn't even offer to find an answer. Ugh...

And now a BB stocking story: I went into my new and very local BB Monday looking for either 1) A Man Named Flintstone or 2) Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Mysteries. They didn't have either one. I never bothered to check CC since the closest one is 10 miles away and it was late.