What's With Anchor Bay's Horrible Covers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Cappelletty, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Okay, first off, I love Anchor Bay. True, not everything they do is perfect (Manhunter for one), but they do try and we've gotten dozens of amazing titles that would still be mouldering in rights hell if it weren't for them.
    But for every cover like Repo Man, which uses the key poster art, or every nifty set like Wicker Man and the Evil Dead book, we get this:
    [​IMG]
    Yech. Couldn't they have just kept the great poster art or at least the nifty art on the HBO video box? Now I'm almost wishing I'd kept my tape.

2. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

I agree, it's terrible. I'll politely inform Anchor Bay of my opinion right now. [​IMG]

3. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

As much as I love Near Dark and look forward to having it in my collection, that artwork is AWFUL. I wish they would just use the theatrical poster. Hopefully, they'll include an insert which I can easiy slip inside the keepcase.

4. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Isn't there supposed to be 2 different versions of Near Dark? If so, they hopefully that's the single disc one, with the limited double disc having better artwork.

If not, then someone is bound to make a custom one for dvdcoverart.com

5. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

There's a new Halloween: 25th Ann Ed coming... sigh [​IMG]

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I wouldn't write that cover off so fast. From the Anchor Bay website:

7. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Am I missing something? I don't remember the original VHS cover art for this one being much better. They used the original title font on the DVD at least.

I'm all for original artwork, but this cover doesn't look all that bad.

Now Paramount...they've done some bad horror covers.

8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Personally, I couldn't give a f%$k about cover art. I glance at it briefly when removing it from my shelf and again when I return it to my shelf. It has zero to do with the quality of the disc, and it's not as if I frame the cover art or pass it around to everyone who visits. Small priority for me. If the movie is OAR and looking great, the cover can be toilet paper as far as I'm concerned.

9. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Dick, I'll be sure to tell AB to package the next DVD you buy from them in Charmin.

While we're on the subject of toilet paper, I think we need some to clean up your thread crap.

Anyway, I've never seen Near Dark, any good for a blind buy? Or is it "cult" where you either love it or hate it. (And yes that is some pretty bad coverart. Looks like Troma.)

10. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

11. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Cover doesn't look so bad to me, and even if the cover did suck, I'd still buy this regardless, because the film is what matters, and this film is one of my all time favorites!

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Sometimes getting the rights to poster art can be an additional expense that a company like AB is unwilling/unable to make. I'm glad they spend their money getting the video rights to these films in the first place. [​IMG]
    DJ

13. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Travis, it's a great film-- dark, scary and grimly humorous. The best modern-day vampire movie ever and MUCH better than "The Lost Boys," which people compare this too all the time.

Yeah, there are worse things to get upset about than cover art, but as this is one of my favorites (and the original poster/video art is tremendous), I can't help but be annoyed.

14. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Carl, I considered his post a thread crap (or fart if you prefer.) because he went into a thread specifically about coverart with the sole purpose of not expressing an opinion but rather to say that our debate on coverart is pointless. If there had been an opinion like say, "Oh well, that's not the most well designed peice of artwork I've seen, but it doesn't matter anyway since I'll be picking it up. [​IMG]"
    But no he said, "Personally, I couldn't give a f%$k about cover art [...]it's not as if I frame the cover art or pass it around to everyone who visits." That is cut and dry thread crapping if I ever saw it.
    If you don't add to the debate then don't post.
    (Wait I broke my own rule there. [​IMG] See what TCing does?)

15. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Mark, vampires you say? I was thinking zombies for some ungodly reason. [​IMG] Now I will have to check it out.

16. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Heck, I don't think the cover looks that bad!
    Or maybe I'm just having visions of the cover art on Top Secret!, Better Off Dead, and Real Genius, and this one just looks better by comparison.
    At least it's pretty close to the VHS cover, and it's obvious an effort was made to stick close to it...
    Bah. It's the cover. Can't wait to watch the MOVIE! [​IMG]

18. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

We should also applaud Anchor Bay for finally releasing a 2-disc set as the standard release, rather than as a $10-upgrade limited edition.

19. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

What do people dislike about the cover art? I think it looks pretty good--better than the old VHS cover, at least.

Mark

20. Rain

Rain Producer