What's new

What's with all these commentary track disclaimers lately? (1 Viewer)

Craig_T

Second Unit
I just picked up Simpsons Season 2 and Star Trek II today and both discs (from different studios) have some moronic disclaimer at the start, that you can't skip, that says somthing like "The commentary here doesn't reflect the views of Paramount." I've never noticed this before. Is this idiotic legal crap going to become commonplace on every disc with a commentary now?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Some people are overly sensitive and may not like the comments contained in some unrated materials. Some of these folks might want to sue over these comments.

Criterion faced this issue with some of the commentary tracks found on their laserdisc releases of the James Bond films.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Blows the mind. Hasn't anyone in this country HEARD of the first Amendment? I mean the first amendment doesn't exist outside the U.S., but the frivolous lawsuit isn't as prevalent, either.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The first amendment does not override the rights of people to sue for defamation if comments made made about them are untrue. The problem for the Studios is, whilst the disclaimers may put potential litigants on notice, there is a real likelihood that they are still liable for the comments as publisher of the DVD.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
In theory, the disclaimers allow the tracks to not end up like the DOGMA debacle. My favorites are the ones on Disney discs that state that the comments of the participants may not reflect the views of the studio... and the commentary is by Walt himself. :D

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I was on the floor over that! But I can see where this could go, and why the studios might want to disconnect themselves from the liability issue.
I can see how studios would be weary, we all know how afraid companies are of being sued. Someone might accidentally say something to the effects of "F&*k DVD"
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I figure it's pretty harmless, and if it means that extras as we know and love them stick around, then there's no problem. Just studios trying to cover their asses.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I wish someone would rip on these disclaimers for once. These disclaimers say that the studios DON'T agree with what is said on them... not that they don't NECESSARILY agree... It's ridiculous.

20th Century Fox doesn't dislike terrorism.

This can be concluded from their DVD release DON'T SAY A WORD, because on the commentary track, it is stated that terrorism is bad.

Shame on you, FOX, for not hating terrorists.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The SNOW WHITE and FANTASIA sets both have commentary tracks comprised of interviews of Walt. They're very interesting and informative!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks