What's up with the new Microsoft machine?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Pernice, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Anthony Pernice

Anthony Pernice Auditioning

I was wondering what was going on with the Microsoft PDR I've seen advertised. I know what's up with Tivo and Replay but I don't know where this thing stands. Assuming I know how Microsoft works, this thing is not Tivo compatible, so how does it work? Is it a stand alone product that simply records at the times specified or does it learn what you like ala Tivo? Is there a service to subscribe to? How much does it cost? Is the recording set by time or by program? I'm basically looking for all of the specs and the facts on this thing without all of the marketing B.S. I'm sure to get if I check this thing out on Microsoft's website.

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

UltimateTV is competing with the DirecTivo combo PVR/satellite receiver model. It works only with DirecTV, like DirecTivo. It records specific programs but on the current software is apparently more limited than Tivo on how far it will jump to different time slots to follow show, nor will it deal correctly with double episodes/marathons. It doesn't "learn what you like" yet. Basically all the PVR software related stuff is more primitive than Tivo's at this point; season pass capability, space management, auto-keyword recording, "to do list" feedback, etc.
    UTV's biggest claim to fame right now is that it has working dual-recording capability. You can record two shows at the same time! It also has the WebTV/interactive TV features. DirecTivo's dual-recording won't be activated until later this year, possibly this summer.
    UTV service fee is $10/month, same as Tivo's. No lifetime service option as with Tivo (Tivo you can pay $199 for life of unit instead of monthly).

3. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Stunt Coordinator

Starting May 1st, TiVo's lifetime fee will be $249.
    ------------------

4. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

It is quite a bit like the previous WebTV/PVR product - DishPlayer.
    A little simpler to use than TiVo, but the scheduler is not nearly as robust as TiVo's. AVSforums have a discussion area and there is some talk on dbsforums as there are a number of DishPlayer owners there. UTV of couse has WebTV available.
    Hopefully they got all of the DishPlayer bugs out of the UTV.