What's up with the Klingons?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

In Enterprise they had the Next Generation and on look. But in the original series, they obviously didn't. It could all be dismissed as having better makeup now, much as the ship's improved appearance. But wait! In the DS:9 episode where several members of the crew go back to TOS Enterprise they are sitting in the mess hall and Chief O'Brien asks Worf why the old school Klingons look different and he replies that Klingons don't like to talk about it. Are they going to totally ignore that and pretend Klingons looked NG all the time? Or will they dream up some strange reason why they looked different in TOS only?
    jeremy

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, no kidding! I think they got some strange disease or something between TOS & TNG, but I just thought that maybe the guy they took back was the one that started it.
    Well, that was my guess, but I do hope they can go back to the old Klingon makeup. If nothing else, it is cheaper.
    Glenn

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

4. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

Sigh... Being someone who frequents a few Trek fan sites, this question gets brought up ad nauseum. Trials and Tribbleations was a lark. The show was meant as a tribute to the original series on its anniversary and should be viewed as such. Okay, okay, the true tribute to TOS would be to make the Enterprise sets out of cardboard and have all the women in beehive hairdos and miniskirts with go-go boots. Thank God the tribute doesn't extend so far.
    The line that Worf gives was meant to poke fun at people who bring up the forehead ridge question, not to firmly entrench the old-school makeup as canon. Genetic engineering, mutation, a sub-species, plastic surgery, the list goes on and on. Face it: it's the result of bad makeup effects on a low budget TV show from the 1960s. There is no history behind it. It is fiction.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Sex? We're men! We wrestled!"
    -Barton Fink

5. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mark, I was hoping someone would say that. Why not me? You got to it first.
    And for that, I will hunt you down.
    [​IMG]

6. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

I've heard the plastic surgery story from a few friends who are trek fans. As the story goes, certain klingons were genetically altered so that they could look more human for their eventual battles with the federation.

7. Damian

Damian Agent

I think I read some where, where Berman said it will be explained on the new series.
    ------------------
    -Damian

8. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I don't know where I heard this from, but I was pretty sure the explanation was that there were 2 "clans" of Klingons at one point. The turtle head race won out and the TOS Klingons ceased to exist.
    I'm sure I am wrong as this theory does not explain how those Kilngons from TOS made an appearance on DS9 in turtle head form.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

In my opinion anything the producers say is as valid as anything we can come up with, until it is explained in a TV episode or movie.
    Here's my theory: we know how the Klingons like to borrow things from Human culture and pretend that it originated from their own, Shakespeare for example. The Klingons admire the Humans but are too proud to admit it. There was a period of time, coinciding with TOS, when it was a fad for Klingons to have varying degrees of genetic engineering or plastic surgery to look like Humans. Then sometime between TOS and TMP, a "hardline" roots movement took over and all the Klingons who disgraced themselves were not merely outcast but hunted down, executed, completely purged. As Worf said, Klingons do not discuss this embarrassing period of their history with outsiders.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I'm still trying to figure out how Enterprise could show an old Zephrym Cochran broadcasting to everyone about strange new worlds when according to the TOS episode Metamorphosis, he was stranded as a young man on another planet, and no one (besides Kirk and company) was supposed to know he was there. [​IMG]
    ------------------

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Gene Rodenberry himself explained it at one point by saying that we see Trek through the "best ability" we can; but in the 1960s, they could only be rendered the way they were, but they were always supposed to look the way they were in TNG. "We're looking at the future through the best of technology today" it was once said.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I simply accept it as they didnt have the makeup tecnology for TOS-I dont add any explaination of than that.
    No Disease, no mutation,nothing-just makeup
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Actually, Cochrane says he landed there as an old man, but the glowy thing made him young again
    Jeff Kleist

14. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I thought DS9's mention of it was brilliant. It addressed the issue that they looked so different, without explaining it.
    It was the perfect way to do it.
    For them to just carry on in Trials & Tribbleations without no one mentioning that Klingons were so different would have been disengenous. To give some in-depth techie explanation would have sold it short.
    Worf's acknowledgement and discomfort was all we needed to see.

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

16. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a joke.
    All I pointed out is, since the crew has gone back in time and saw Klingons, if they had never NOTICED their obvious differences it would have been a huge gaffe in continuity.
    For them to notice it, point it out, and get a rebuff from Worf was brilliant IMO.
    It acknowledged the issue WITHOUT explaining it. So now the issue is moot.
    Of course, us VIEWERS know it's because of the budgetary constraints of a TV show, but the characters are in a diffferent reality and the dialogue indicated it as such.
    I don't think the writers could have handled this in a better way.

17. Rain

Rain Producer

18. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Klingons had head ridges by ST:TMP

19. Josh LeClair

Josh LeClair Agent

Why must everyone have some theory as to why they didn't have ridges before? Just accept it, they couldn't afford to give them ridges, end of story. No surgery, no disease, no silly plot elements, they simply couldn't afford it.

20. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Because, IMO, it shows a severe lack of continuity. Just like removing the WTC towers from existing motion pictures. If they were left out for monetary reasons initially and put it later, as was stated, that is ok. No, I'm not, but I were Gene Roddenbery I'd be rolling over in my grave right now.
    Glenn