What's Up With The ApeXtreme?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Manuel, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any info on this? Just wondering if games will look better than on the X-Box, sound, ect... I got my Box hooked up to a Mits 65819 and I was wondering if games might be displayed at 1080i. Just curious,

Thanks

2. Kyle-K

Kyle-K Stunt Coordinator

Talk about reading the title wrong... I thought this was supposed to be in software...

Ape Xtreme? ~~ Some sort of sequel to Ape Escape?...

I think they need to look into changing the name of their system... JMHO

3. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Ape Xtreme on the Xbox? When is this coming out? Is this a sequel to Ape Escape?

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

And it still sounds like a sequel to Ape Escape. I thought of the same thing when I first heard the name. A tragically dumb name.

-Dave

5. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

Just to give you guys a quick update on the APEXTREME and DISCOVER, there will be an interview on CNN headline news tonight with the VP of Discover at 9:45PM EST.

Also, rumor has it that Via may be out and chip makers like nVidia, or Intel, or AMD may be in the running to get their hardware in the Apex box. Which, BTW it's APEX EXTREME, not APE EXTREME. I suppose if you say it really fast it sounds like APE but APEX is the name of their company. They probably wnated to get an 'X' in there to sound hip, like X-BOX.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The official Apex literature on their website list the machine name as "ApeXtreme" with it pronounced as Apex Extreme.

7. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Based on preliminary reviews and speculation, this Apex box has little chance of success. It's pretty expensive. For the same price you will pay, you can buy a comparable PC. While you will play PC games on it, it is still not powerful enough to play the latest, state of the art games.

I guess we'll see.

8. Dean Martin

Apex has updated it's site. Via is not going to be used:

Gaming Features
    Ethernet Connection
    56K v.92 Modem
    4 Front / 2 Rear USB
    40 GB Hard Drive
    1.6 GHz Processor
    256MB DDR RAM

Based on the newer specs, I think it will do fine. Maybe not high end but you will play them. Perhaps you can buy a comparable PC but I doubt you will get one for $399 with Component/DVI/Optical Audio out. This is basically a poor man's HTPC. The closest DVD player with DVI is a Samsung at $299.

Even if games demand higher specs and lesser minimum requirements they may be able to write new scripts to make the games less demanding.
    The beauty of Discover is that they can implement the technology into even higher end hardware and include Tivo-like functionality. As I understand it, there will be different manufacturers providing different tiers of equipment features for many budgets.

9. Parker

Parker Agent

On Tech TV Fresh Gear, they were doing a best of CES thing and they showed it being played and talked about it a bit. All they were showing on it was Madden, which seemed fishy because it looked like all the Apextremes at their booth seemed to have only Madden on them (only game they could get working in time??).
    It sounds intriguing, but I can guarantee they will have major problems with the patch solution in which they claim the Apextreme will automatically search out and download patches for games. Plus I can't wait to see what happens when the Apextreme gets a game with bigger specs than it can handle. I don't want to be sitting in front of my TV with a laggy stuttering game that I can't do anything about. Also, 40 Gigs is pretty big, but don't you need to eventually delete games to make room- so when you want to go back and play an old game, you have to re-install it?

10. Dean Martin

The machine can erase the install info but it will keep any saves you have. It will work back from the game you haven't played in a while and so on.
    The cool thing is, you can remove a disc without having a blue screen issue. Good for kids who forget to close the program.

11. Parker

Parker Agent

But still you'll have to delete the entire game install, minus the saves, which nowadays can get into the gigs. This wouldn't be fun waiting 10 minutes to reinstall every time you want to pull out an old game.

These are small things, but if you're gonig to make a system that expects to compete with consoles, you can't have all kinds of exceptions on what it'll play.

12. Dean Martin

Yes, it will require a script that will make the game install and play worry free. By launch time they are expected to have 2k-2,500 ready to go. I'm told they are checking popularity of titles and so forth to decide which one's to get done first.
    They are planning on using this technology in various priced systems. The Apextreme is closed as far as I know so it would require the scripting. I can't comment about the more pricey consoles that are expected.

As far as the deletions, the Apextreme will delete those saves automatically. It will not take ten minutes or affect the user at all. Because of the scripts, games will be installed/removed at a much faster rate than a traditional PC.

I would imagine that at launch time/by launch time they will have a list as to which games are compatible with the system. I don't know if it said anywhere that it would play ANY pc game, just that it would play PC games on your TV. Any story I have read mentioned the 2k+ game number.
    Basically, right off the bat it will have a bigger Library than all of the new consoles combined.

The fact that they intend to use the Discover technology and shop it around to other PC makers is incentive enough to continue writing scripts. All the installation scripts really do is mimmick button pushes that the user would make during an install.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

So how does it install "at a much faster rate" than on a traditional PC?

14. Dean Martin

I don't know 'how' it does it, but when I watched a demo of it, it breezed through the install screens.
    You can see it in this link to a wmv. movie file of an interview with techlink:

http://www.discoverconsole.com/disc_video_WMv9.wmv
    Hopefully all the games will install that quickly.

Edit, after watching it again, It might 'seem' faster because it pushes the correct buttons instantly. I can't be sure if the actual loading of games is faster. It looked in the video like the load meter went pretty fast but maybe it goes that fast on a computer. I'm not familiar with that particular game.

15. Parker

Parker Agent

Any idea if it'll have a keyboard and mouse option so you can play the more complicated games that can't just use the joystick?

16. Dean Martin

It will be able to use most USB based devices so you can pretty much choose your weapon.

17. Dean Martin

Just thought I would let you guys know that discoverconsole.com now has a forum and will answer questions about the new consoles.