What's up with Panic Room SE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kristoffer, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Just reading the fantastic book Dark Eyes, the films of David Fincher and was wondering what's going on with Panic Room SE?
    Also who actually owns the Game right now? Universal? And do they licens out to example the Criterion Col.?
    I know this has been discussed many times! But I couldn't find a threat about Panic Room SE??

2. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I'm waiting for a Panic Room SE as well. Also wasn't The Game a Criterion release on Laserdisc? I hope they transfer that onto DVD.

Dean

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

David Prior has been putting together a "Panic Room" SE for some time. When it finally comes out is anyone's guess.

4. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The current Panic Room disc is really cheap right now. Maybe the special edition will be coming soon...

5. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

On the DVD Discoveries disc, it shows people putting together a pretty cool supplement for Panic Room. Looks like computer animated diagrams of there the cameras were to be placed, and how they would move. So, material exists. Should be here soon.

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I'm just curious: since Superbit is, theoretically from their marketing promotion, their superior PQ/AQ version, do they really expect to sell many SE's that won't have better PQ/AQ? Or will they give us better PQ/AQ, and admit that Superbit is just hype, and really means nothing except "stripped" with (usually) dts? Generally I'm reasonably pleased with the Superbit releases, some are very good indeed, but the PQ of some of the more recent "Superbit on first release" is IMO pretty bad, or at least no better than average. I wonder how many here would buy an SE of the S.o.f.r. discs just for the extras, they're not what I would call "fan" films with a loyal following through the years....

7. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

8. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Maybe this will just be a Superbit Deluxe?

9. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

I agree, the pq on the current disc is not vey sharp. Every thing else is ok, and I know some people will say that it is suppose to look that way, but it wasn't out of, what looks like, forcus in the cinema!
    Also as I understand it superbit doesn't use all the space avaible, there is still 1 GB left! why don't they use this for PQ?
    A couple of commentaries and a dts es track would be nice..
    Maybe 96 khz/24 bit? But I am dreaming now...
    I realy hope that it is not a superbit deluxe release since then we won't get the commentaries!

10. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

David Prior, the DVD producer, commented on another forum that this SE was nearing completion back in late April of this year (I'm assuming it is completed by now) but that the release timeframe was totally up to the studio. He also stated that the PQ/AQ would not be inferior to the Superbit release for whatever thats worth.

11. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

So maybe it is just sitting in boxes somewhere...
    I hope Columbia announch this one soon then! But the SE of Black hawk down also took a long tome to get out.

12. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

13. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yes, it's been hard to lay off the current edition at +/- $10 but I'm really tired of double-dipping and know Fincher will do his usual spectacular SE on this when it ever does get rereleased. Foster is an amazing talent in everything she does.

15. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Its comming! Found this at www.darkhorizons.com Panic Room: Jodie Foster.Nu reports that a DVD Collector's Edition is hitting the Region 2 market on March 24 next year - a two (possibly three) disc version.

YES!!!!!!!!!

16. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I got the current Panic Room disc for free as part of a buy 2 get 1 free promo at Blockbuster last year.

17. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Here is the full article: -

Many of us expected a spicy version when the Panic Room DVD first was announced but instead they gave us a hybrid containing both the Superbit features AND some extra material. Ever since that disc was released rumors said that the studio was working on a Special Edition version and thanks to Zoltar over at the forum I can give you the information that the region 2 version is being released on March 24 2004. It's a bit strange there's no information about the region 1 release but I guess we can expect it to be released earlier than March. There's no word yet about what it might contain but it seems like it will be a three disc version and it will be more impressive than both the Fight Club and Se7en discs. More information to come!

18. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I really hope a special edition of "The Game" comes out at some point - I really enjoyed that movie, much more so than Panic Room.

19. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I also will pick up this bad boy when it comes out...hurry up Columbia!

20. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Yes Fincher also needs to work his Special Edition DVD magic on The Game.