What's new

What's up with Panic Room SE? (1 Viewer)

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Just reading the fantastic book Dark Eyes, the films of David Fincher and was wondering what's going on with Panic Room SE?
Also who actually owns the Game right now? Universal? And do they licens out to example the Criterion Col.?
I know this has been discussed many times! But I couldn't find a threat about Panic Room SE??

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I'm waiting for a Panic Room SE as well. Also wasn't The Game a Criterion release on Laserdisc? I hope they transfer that onto DVD.

Dean

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
David Prior has been putting together a "Panic Room" SE for some time. When it finally comes out is anyone's guess.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The current Panic Room disc is really cheap right now. Maybe the special edition will be coming soon...

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
On the DVD Discoveries disc, it shows people putting together a pretty cool supplement for Panic Room. Looks like computer animated diagrams of there the cameras were to be placed, and how they would move. So, material exists. Should be here soon.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'm just curious: since Superbit is, theoretically from their marketing promotion, their superior PQ/AQ version, do they really expect to sell many SE's that won't have better PQ/AQ? Or will they give us better PQ/AQ, and admit that Superbit is just hype, and really means nothing except "stripped" with (usually) dts? Generally I'm reasonably pleased with the Superbit releases, some are very good indeed, but the PQ of some of the more recent "Superbit on first release" is IMO pretty bad, or at least no better than average. I wonder how many here would buy an SE of the S.o.f.r. discs just for the extras, they're not what I would call "fan" films with a loyal following through the years....

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I'm just curious: since Superbit is, theoretically from their marketing promotion, their superior PQ/AQ version, do they really expect to sell many SE's that won't have better PQ/AQ? Or will they give us better PQ/AQ, and admit that Superbit is just hype
I am very curious about this as well. I wonder if this DVD will have better picture quality than the Superbit. If it DOES, then they should stop making Superbits, and continue on with making QUALITY DVDs with the extras on them.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
I agree, the pq on the current disc is not vey sharp. Every thing else is ok, and I know some people will say that it is suppose to look that way, but it wasn't out of, what looks like, forcus in the cinema!
Also as I understand it superbit doesn't use all the space avaible, there is still 1 GB left! why don't they use this for PQ?
A couple of commentaries and a dts es track would be nice..
Maybe 96 khz/24 bit? But I am dreaming now...
I realy hope that it is not a superbit deluxe release since then we won't get the commentaries!

Tony Scello

Second Unit
David Prior, the DVD producer, commented on another forum that this SE was nearing completion back in late April of this year (I'm assuming it is completed by now) but that the release timeframe was totally up to the studio. He also stated that the PQ/AQ would not be inferior to the Superbit release for whatever thats worth.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
So maybe it is just sitting in boxes somewhere...
I hope Columbia announch this one soon then! But the SE of Black hawk down also took a long tome to get out.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
...cool supplement for Panic Room. Looks like computer animated diagrams of there the cameras were to be placed, and how they would move.
Those would be the previsualizations (pre-viz) produced by Pixel Liberation Front.

I had attended a presentation given by Avid demonstrating their Softimage software and they showed us a side-by-side comparison of a pre-viz scene and the corresponding movie footage. The presenters actually had a copy of the Softimage data file used to previsualize that sequence complete with house and character models and camera setups which they also demonstrated. Fascinating stuff!

Although side-by-side comparisons of pre-viz and finished movie footage have been done before (eg. X-Men), I don't think they approach the level of detail required for Panic Room. The detail used in the pre-viz Brownstone house is staggering. I suppose this high detail was a necessity considering the bulk of the movie took place in the Brownstone.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
David Prior, the DVD producer, commented on another forum that this SE was nearing completion back in late April of this year (I'm assuming it is completed by now) but that the release timeframe was totally up to the studio. He also stated that the PQ/AQ would not be inferior to the Superbit release for whatever thats worth.
I'm still waiting on this bad boy.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's been hard to lay off the current edition at +/- $10 but I'm really tired of double-dipping and know Fincher will do his usual spectacular SE on this when it ever does get rereleased. Foster is an amazing talent in everything she does.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Its comming! Found this at www.darkhorizons.com Panic Room: Jodie Foster.Nu reports that a DVD Collector's Edition is hitting the Region 2 market on March 24 next year - a two (possibly three) disc version.

YES!!!!!!!!!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I got the current Panic Room disc for free as part of a buy 2 get 1 free promo at Blockbuster last year.

Its comming! Found this at www.darkhorizons.com Panic Room: Jodie Foster.Nu reports that a DVD Collector's Edition is hitting the Region 2 market on March 24 next year - a two (possibly three) disc version.
Hopefully, this means a Region 1 release is not far behind.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Here is the full article: -

Many of us expected a spicy version when the Panic Room DVD first was announced but instead they gave us a hybrid containing both the Superbit features AND some extra material. Ever since that disc was released rumors said that the studio was working on a Special Edition version and thanks to Zoltar over at the forum I can give you the information that the region 2 version is being released on March 24 2004. It's a bit strange there's no information about the region 1 release but I guess we can expect it to be released earlier than March. There's no word yet about what it might contain but it seems like it will be a three disc version and it will be more impressive than both the Fight Club and Se7en discs. More information to come!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really hope a special edition of "The Game" comes out at some point - I really enjoyed that movie, much more so than Panic Room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks