1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with non-round sub drivers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Heath_E, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

What's the story with all of these non-round subwoofers we see in the car audio world? Looking at various different magazines and at car stereo shops, I have seen square, pentagonal, octagonal, even triangle shaped drivers. What's even more interesting than the shapes of these drivers, is the touted advantages of these versus round drivers. Things such as; increased rigidity, less issues with standing waves, more surface area(possibly the only bonafide claim?) and even Kicker once claiming that a square driver just makes more sense for a square enclosure. BTW, I notice that all the companies that tout these unconventional drivers as "the best thing since sliced bread" still continue to make round drivers as well. I also notice that none of this is used in subs designed for home use. So, what's the deal? Marketing bullsh*t? Some real advantage? Some real advantage when used in car audio only? What?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Gimmick.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Look up “succinct” in the dictionary and you’ll see a picture of John! [​IMG]