What's new

What's up with my tv? Need help please! (1 Viewer)

Mike Becher

Auditioning
ok... I need some major assistence. I just moved into a new place and upon setting up my small home theater (tv, DVD, receiver, two speakers), I noticed that my movies are crooked on the tv!! I've never seen/heard of this before, but I'm telling you it's happening. You can really tell with the widescreen movies with the bars on the top/bottom of the screen. There's a slight slant that starts on the left side and moves up at around a 10 degree angle to the right side of the screen. I've tried switching out all my cables and that didn't do anything. I can't tell if it does it to the regular tv since I don't have any cable what-so-ever.

Any suggestions? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Did the set get jarred around a lot when you moved? That might account for the screwed-up geometry. You might not have cable, but there's always good ol' over-the-air television; get an antenna so you can test the set's performance with television (I recommend the Terk TV-5).

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator
Mike. Assuming you have an "old-fashioned" cathode ray tube, there's a coil of wire (I believe it's called a yoke) that goes around the neck of the picture tube. This probably got jostled a bit and is causing the skewed picture. You have to open up the back of the set turn it. It goes without saying that you must be careful when doing so. Make sure you've unplugged the set. There's a ship-load of high voltage at the back and a picture tube can hold a charge even after you've unplugged it. The good thing is the yoke is located at the very rear of the picture tube so it's easily accessible. There maybe a tightening ring which helps hold it in place that you'll need to unloosen then tighten again. BE CAREFUL! I'm somewhat hesitant to make the preceding suggestion, but it's not a serious problem and can be fixed fairly easily.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Better to let a pro do that. As noted, the sets hold a charge and it's dangerous (especially if you've not done anything like this before).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks