What's up with my computer?Help!!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Keith_R, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I have a strange problem going on with my desktop PC, that seems to have just started today. I have a 3 or 4 year old refurbed HP;Celeron 433MHZ;Win98SE. This morning we had bad storms so I decided to go shut down my computer (which is always on so this was the first shut down in a week or so).I left the room to go do something and when I returned I noticed the PC had "shut down" but it appeared to still be running and the light above the power button was orange. I decided to just go ahead and push the power button in to turn the machine off (this is odd I thought, never had this happen). Well I pushed the button and the machine started booting up showing the Win98 screen and everything. I let it load up and than tried to shut down again but the same thing happened, Windows shuts down but the computer won't power down. It has gone on like this all day, the computer doesn't power off only Windows shuts down when I try to shut down. Against my good judgement I decided to try and turn the surge protector off when it does this and as soon as I wait 15-20 seconds turn my surge protector back on. When I do this the computer unusually comes back on and does the same thing, that to me is weird because it should go off and stay off.I've looked through the system power settings and everything is fine.I can easily boot into Win98 by pushing the power button on my PC when it does the aforementioned problem but it is weird that it is doing this. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here? is something broken in my PC? please help. Thanks.

2. Dave A.

Dave A. Extra

Hey,
    ok try this and see if it works...
    Unplug the PC power cord from the back of the PC after it"powers down" and leave iot out for about a minute....even when you cut power to the PSU(power supply unit) there is still juice in the line. Pulling it out of the back of the PC should fix this.

Also take the door of your PC off and make sure your CPU fan is running and all. Might even want to dissconnect it and take her out to the garage and blow all the dust out of her with your compressor(i do this almost every week)

This should help you there. If this does not work then let me know and we can try some other options.

Good Luck

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Whoa! My best guess is that your power options got switched from power off to standby, which would keep it going. Also, on some machines, if you want it to turn it off you have to hold the on/off button in for 6-10 seconds before a real 'off' condition is met.

Although it is a good idea to turn your machine off during a storm, a jolt still could travel through the electrical wires and 'hit' your machine, and unless you paid big bucks for your surge protector, be advised that the standard $10-$20 models usually only work once. After that, the part that protected you against surges is burnt out, yet the juice still flows, protecting you against jack s**t.

Glenn

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Thanks for all the help you all but nothing appears to be working

5. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

No, it's not a power switch. If it was, after unplugging the computer you would not be able to turn it back on (since the computer will not turn itself on when plugged in). [​IMG]

I'd suggest unplugging it and leaving it overnight to allow any power in the system to...um...drain away, and then testing it again.

It could be one of two things. Either it's a hardware problem, or it's a software problem. If it's a software problem, then you'll probably want to re-install windows (which is no easy task). If it's a hardware problem, it's probably your power supply, or your motherboard (I'd guess motherboard). It's hard to diagnose stuff like this, and if it really is your motherboard, you'd have to basically take the whole computer apart, replace the motherboard, put it back together, and test it to see what happens. Fun, eh?

In the end, it's no concern to run the computer all the time. Computers don't mind.

Jonny K. [​IMG]

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If your PC case has been bumped lately, it is possible that a berg connector has worked it's way loose, and that is doing it. Try to find someone that isn't afraid to open it and check.

Glenn

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Re-installing windows won't make a difference. This is obvious because the computer powers on as soon as it is plugged in. If it was stuck in reboot mode or wasn't doing a soft powerdown, it would still stay off after the power was cut.

It really sounds like a short in the power switch or its connector. If the connector is just loose, it won't short the power circuit; it'll just have intermittent power on issues.

To find out for sure, you'd need to unplug the power switch connector from the mobo and then reconnect the power. If it doesn't turn on, then the problem lies somewhere in the power switch assembly (switch, wires or connector).

If it does turn on with the power switch disconnected, and you aren't manually bridging the jumper, then there's a problem with the mobo. I've never heard of that happening, but there's a first time for everything.

You won't have to disconnect anything internally except the power switch connector in order to test this out.