What's up with Hong Kong Legends' version of The Killer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James D S, Mar 17, 2002.

1. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

I can't seem to find it or any news on it anywhere. I've done a search on this forum, as I seem to recall a member on this forum and other review sites having the disc(s) in hand. But, a search of HKL's website provided nothing new... I can't seem to find the title anywhere.

What gives?

Thanks.

2. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

From Bullets n Babes DVDs:
    HONG KONG LEGENDS STRIKES GOLD
    Hong Kong Legends' domination of the huge (and growing) UK market for martial arts cinema is virtually complete following the inking this week of a major deal with Golden Princess, arguably the last independently held prestigious catalogue of classic Hong Kong movies.
    The result of more than a year of negotiations gives the much respected UK label access to another vast library. Seventeen carefully selected gems have initially been agreed on a long term licence, covering all rights including theatrical. Naturally, HKL intends to weave its 'magic' over every new title in preparation for each sumptuous DVD release: every film will be painstakingly restored frame-by-frame with soundtracks digitally remastered and Special Features sourced and/or created to make each release a genuine collectors' item.
    The line-up is sensational. There are several universally acknowledged masterpieces from director John Woo including The Killer, his personal favourite Bullet In The Head, Once A Thief and A Better Tomorrow 2. In addition there's Ringo Lam's classic City On Fire, which Quentin Tarantino freely admits was the blueprint for Reservoir Dogs, and a string of great movies by Once Upon A Time In China director Tsui Hark including all three of the much demanded A Chinese Ghost Story series and A Better Tomorrow 3.
    This major deal is another important element in HKL's plans. Since the label's launch 18 months ago it has gone from strength to strength, building an unparallelled brand reputation among DVD collectors. HKL has expanded into the Benelux countries and will continue this expansion with further announcements in the near future.
    The Golden Princess deal brings the total HKL catalogue of potential releases to over 200 movies, representing virtually all the best Hong Kong productions ever made. Having just completed the deal, neither label manager Brian White nor parent company Medusa Communications' executive director Steve Rivers can confirm plans regarding DVD scheduling or possible theatrical releases for any of these new titles.
    - HKL's version of The Killer is not out yet and there's no telling if they'll get around to it this year.

3. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Thanks Richard.

I thought it was odd since news of HKL's version of The Killer was announced (rumoured) over 2 1/2 years ago and still nothing.

I guess the wait'll have to continue.

4. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

I guarantee it won't be out this year. HKL has their plate full and have already announced the rest of this year's releases (even though they seemed to have erased it from their new website).

5. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Thank for the news Chris - even if it is bad news. [​IMG]

6. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

Will all the new DVD release have a much better quality than the old one and also be WS? On dddhouse, most of the HK DVD is fullscreen or letterbox which are not what I prefer for my WS TV.

7. Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan Second Unit

Is there any update to this release? I see on their website that they have the killer in stock, but doesn't seem to be the 3 disc version.

8. Mikko-Ville

Mikko-Ville Stunt Coordinator

9. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

10. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

If you haven't read any reviews about the HKL DVD, go here, http://www.loveandbullets.com/killerdvd.htm .
    We may never see another R1 version of this movie. You can thank Disney for this. I have heard the same story from 2 totally different sources about this.
    Matt