What's up with Dish and HDTV?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Tyson Wetzel, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

I thought (hoped) this 2005 would finally be the year for an explosion in HD programming. Dish Network hasn't added a channel since TNT HD over a year ago. I know there is more content available like ESPN2HD and others so what's the hold up? Also, anybody got the dish on getting networks in HD over digital satellite if they are not available in your DMA? I know there was some legislation on the plate last year about that but still nothing.

2. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Are you not aware that Dish has picked up all the Voom HD channels? This was probably done about 2 months ago. I would recommend going over to www.satelliteguys.us

They have a ton of info regarding HD for Dish and Directv.

I think they have about half the channels now and plan on adding more of the Voom channels early next year.

Paul

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Paul beat me to the punch on this one. Yes, it costs an extra $5/month for the Voom channels, but that's 50 cents/channel with a lot more coming. Right now DISH has the most HD programming of any major provider that I know of. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the picture and sound of the VOOM offerings and am looking forward to the new additions.

Now if DISH would get all the network HD stations (besides CBS) up and running (I choose not to go OTA) then that would be the icing on the cake. And they should settle the YES situation as well since other providers now offer it (and in HD, too.)

4. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link to the satellite guys. I know about the Voom channels, but I'm not too excited about the content, and it's only available at the 61.5 orbital location, which I can't see. Now that I have HD, I can't get enough of it [​IMG]

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Aha! That explains your original message in this thread. Yes, without the VOOM channels (which actually is providing better content and variety and picture/sound quality than I expected) DISH has been a little stagnant on additional HD offerings unless you are in the lower 48. I hope all this will change for the better when the equipment switches to MPEG4. For those of us in the "contiguous" states [​IMG] (especially on the Right Coast) DISH has a nice selection of HD offerings, with (they say) more to come.