what's up with Athena F2's???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ray tubach, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I got curious looking at all the comments on the F-2's and decided to check reviews and availibility. seems they're not available anymore. all the usual e-tailer/retailers are out of stock. any ideas who else might have them in stock?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I thought they were coming out with newer versions or new models soon. That's what a lack of product in their normal distribution chain would suggest too.

3. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

They are coming out with newer versions of the entire series. The F-2s had been selling for 400 a pair on the sites and I was about to buy a set yesterday and found they were out at all websites. I called customer service and spoke with the guy in charge of marketing who confirmed new versions around the end of May. He said that they did not expect the prior versions to sell out so quickly. The only changes are the have painted more of the fronts of the speakers silver everything else is the same.

4. ray tubach

jon_ad, I beieve there was some discussion about the new versions having the Neodymium tweeter. is this not the case?

I know the Micra's have them and seem to be the "new" wave at Athena Technologies.

5. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

I don't think that the guy mentioned them but I don't think that it means they don't have them.

6. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

7. ray tubach

OK, I went back and reviewed the article concerning their release, and it appears that only the b-1 and c-1 will be getting the Neodymium tweets.

according to a very helpful gent I spoke with at Audio Advisor, the new f-2's will be somewhat narrower, as well as the new stylistic treatment. if they DO change the cabinet shape/volume that is almost certain to have an effect on the sound they produce, no?

as is the change to the new magnet structure in the center-1 and bookshelf-1. agree?

8. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

When I saw the new F2's at CES, they looked the same to me except for the baffles and speakers are silver. The physical cabinet changes must be very slight but there wasn't an older model for me to compare it to side by side.

I do remember the Athena rep saying they would sound the same. Their vendors were very pleased with the Athena sound and didn't want any changes because they were so popular with consumers.

Now the Neodymium magnets in the B1 and C1 may make it sound a little different than current models but we'll only know for sure when they're released.

Glad I bought my C1 last week to complete my setup.

9. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

If Athena is smart, the look and sound should stay mostly the same. The people that will be buying new Athena speakers together will want everything to match up (visually and sonically)

Ex: If someone buys the AS-F2's and the AS-C1

only the AS-C1 with have the new tweeter. If it sounds different that wouldn't make much sense.

10. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

11. JohnLA

JohnLA Auditioning

I remeber reading an interview with the Athena Technology engineers saying that the differences in the new Series II athena would be cosmetic only.

I'll see if I can find it somewhere.