"What's Up, Doc?" -- any special features?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dene, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Dene

Dene Agent

This is out next week, and up until very recently (i.e. a few days ago), Amazon.com for one were listing a full commentary by Peter Bogdanovich and a partial one by Barbra Streisand.

However, mention of these has now vanished. Can anyone confirm what's going to be on the disc?

Very disappointing if it's bare bones after that early promise! Great movie.

Forget it I'm talking rubbish, there's still there.

Extras are listed as: Theatrical trailer(s)/All-new scene specific commentary by Barbra Streisand/Feature length commentary by director Peter Bogdanovich/Screwball Comedies.... Remember Them?, a vintage 1972 documentary.

Don't know what happened there. I'm sure I'd lost those features at one point.

2. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Good news that there will be extras with this film.

Great news is that it's finally out on DVD. [​IMG]

Hilarious movie!

3. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

Any early reviews of this one? This is one of my favorite comedies and hope the disc lives up to my expectations.

4. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

One of my all-time favorite films.

Street date is Tuesday, and no reviews yet?
    What gives????

Can't wait to hear what Barbra has to say, but even more so the commentary by Bogadnovich. It's an extraordinarily well constructed comedy, and represents the director at his creative peak (along with LAST PICTURE SHOW & PAPER MOON).

Fingers crossed for an HTF review from Mr. Galbraith!

5. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

I love this movie. The performances are first-rate, and the script is wild and clever. I think it might be Streisand's finest hour. She is at her funniest and most gorgeous. With her long blonde hair and perfect tan, she looks like the quintessential California girl.

Many of the online reviews I've read of this movie include the phrase, "I normally don't like Barbra, but she's great in this movie." I suspect that people are surprised, given Barbra's current persona of the serious political activist, that she's actually a skilled comedienne. It's a shame that she hasn't explored this aspect of her talent in quite some time. Woody Allen wrote SMALL TIME CROOKS with her in mind, but scheduling conflicts kept her from doing the movie.

Hopefully, non-Streisand fans will check out the DVD. The extras sound terrific, especially the commentaries. WHAT'S UP, DOC? is one of the great comedies of the 1970s, and it's nice to see it getting the DVD treatment it deserves.

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

8. Dene

Dene Agent

Got this today, believe it or not! Picture quality is great (sound is DD 1-channel which I'm not sure I've seen outside Criterion).

I haven't really listened to the commentaries but Peter Bogdanovich's is full length whilst Ms Streisand's only covers about 12 minutes of the film -- highlights from throughout, which runs through all in one go when you choose the option.

Other extras are a contemporary promotional piece about the production, lasting about 8 minutes, which is called "Screwball Comedies...Remember Them?"*, and the original theatrical trailer, which takes the tack of visiting the production and is therefore similar in tone to the featurette.

Barbra really does look gorgeous in this, one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in a movie I reckon!

I looked on Variety's website and What's Up, Doc? made $66m in its original US release -- wow, that's probably well over $200m at today's prices!

I look forward to the reviews of this release.

*Would this kind of thing have played in cinemas back then, rather than TV?

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Some online retailers have shipped today.

I know mine did.

Looking forward to this baby. It is one of
    my all-time favorite comedies. A true classic!

10. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Mine shipped today as well. With this and another of my favorites Fun With Dick And Jane being released the same day, I am in comedy heaven.

11. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Mine shipped today too. I'll echo Ron's enthusiasm over this hysterical film. It's been on my "most wanted" list since I got into DVD.

Should be here Monday, I can't wait!

Rob

12. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just spent the morning watching this DVD.

What's Up Doc is amongst my favorite
    all-time favorite comedies. I immediately fell
    in love with it when I first saw it in the 70s,
    and have been patiently awaiting its arrival on
    DVD (which took far too long in my opinion).

After not having seen this film in almost 20
    years, I think it is still as fresh and funny
    today as it was when it was first released. I
    had the time of my life watching this film, and
    I couldn't help but think how they just don't make
    comedies like this anymore.

The DVD is (as Barbara would say) GORGEOUS, DARLING.
    The print is in immaculate condition and colors are
    dead-on accurate. Most worthwhile are the close-up
    shots of Streisand's face and her beautiful blue
    eyes that just pierce out at you.

I didn't have time to watch the extras, but based
    on what I have seen, I would like to HIGHLY
    RECOMMEND this title to everyone. It is a true
    "classic" comedy.

13. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I'll echo that...watched the movie and Barbara's short commentary track. It's neat the way they did that. She only comments on a few of the scenes (about 12 minutes total), and the disc seamlessly jumps to the next scene in which there is a comment by her.

I look forward to listening to the full length commentary by Bogdanovich.

Cheers

14. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I picked this up today and can't wait to watch it.

Ron, your mini-review above makes me wish you were still doing the official reviews for HTF. Is this an indication that you've changed your mind about doing reviews?

15. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

I just bought the "Barbra box" but threw in WHAT'S UP, DOC? first. It looks so great. A crisp 16X9 transfer, beautifully done. Haven't listened to Barbra's mini-commentary yet, I was more interested in Bogdanovich's. He gives a great talk throughout with fascinating tidbits and insights into all that went into the film.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more press on this, as the release of WHAT'S UP, DOC? on DVD is (to me, anyway) a film fan's reason for celebration![​IMG]

16. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

"I'll give you your bike back. I'll give you a broken back".

17. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I opted for the box since I could get it for about the same price as two of the discs. What's Up Doc has long been a favorite, but I haven't seen it since I was a wee lad. Should be fun.

I assume these are in snappers?

18. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

This is an amazing movie, an amazing DVD. Where are the reviews?!

As good as the performances are, the thing that truly astonishes is the editing (and long, long takes, showing funny actors really doing their stuff!)

And God Bless Madeline Kahn, who died some years ago -- she certainly will live forever in comedy heaven! She was funny just standing there in the hysterical turquoise outfit, in the scene where she goes to the wrong address to end all wrong addresses!

Maybe the funniest movie ever made, far funnier, really, than Bringing Up Baby, and right up there with Sturges' The Miracle of Morgan's Creek.

At home, in my bedroom, I couldn't stop laughing, and I've seen this movie 25 times before, including Radio City Music Hall when I was 14.

And don't forget to watch the trailer! They really don't make them like this anymore, at all.

19. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Indeed, WHERE are the reviews???

I'll add my voice. Got the box this morning but have only watched WHAT'S UP, DOC?....twice already.

Once through without commentary, then again with Bogdanovich's accompaniment which is grand.

I'll echo the comments above, this is one of the all-time great comedy classics, and Warner has done a stellar job with the transfer. I've never seen the film look so good.

I did check out Streisand's 12 minutes of scene-specific
    commentary too. I think this film wasn't as much of a favorite of hers since she was only the star of a great ensemble comedy and not in control of all aspects of production.

Don't want to knock her though, because she's terrific in the movie, and I am interested to watch the other films too, just to hear what she has to say.

These are her first commentaries for DVD. I haven't seen any of the other three movies since they were originally released. I remember NUTS being "interesting", and UP THE SANDBOX was entertaining, but I was much too young to appreciate its subtext when I first saw it as a kid. I look forward to watching both of those tomorrow. I'll scan through THE MAIN EVENT. It will probably be a late-'70s
    guilty pleasure...

20. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Warner did not send out early review copies,
    hence no early reviews.