Whats the word on Tannoys?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dillon Poole, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Dillon Poole

Dillon Poole Agent

I've done searches here, AVS, HTSpot. Nobody talks about Tannoy at all. I'm planning on buying an entire setup minus DVD player. I talked to my dad about good music speakers, as he was in the audio groove like 15 years ago or so and he mentioned Tannoy as one of them. Now I saw a review of Tannoy mX2 speakers in a magazine a few months ago with lots of good words about them. Why nothing in any forums?

The price is awesome for the whole Mercury line and good reviews on AudioReview. But thought I'd ask here as compard to Paradigm and the bigger more popular companies.

2. Jim_T

Jim_T Extra

Dillon, I'm not exactly sure, but I think there isn't much mention here because the Tannoys are English speakers and aren't carried in nearly as many places as other big name brands. I live in Japan, and recently got a great deal on some Tannoy Saturn S6 mains (with dual-concentric drivers), an S8 center, and the Mx2s you mentioned for the surrounds. Although I've relegated them to the surround position, the Mx2s are quite capable speakers in their own right, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anybody. If you check out www.ecoustics.com, you'll find a few reviews (mostly from English publications) singing their praises. Go for it!
    Jim

3. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Tannoy don't have such a large presence outside of the UK, but they make some excellent speakers. I haven't had a chance to listen to the MX speaker series, but I do own the Tannoy Saturn S6's which sound excellent. Given some good power (I recently bought a Rotel power amp), they sing. I think generally speaking, Tannoy's have a warm midband, and less metallic-sounding (some might say rolled-off) treble than comparitive Paradigm/PSB etc. speakers such as the Studio 60's. The MX series have won many awards in Europe, check out www.ecoustics.com for reviews.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I used to own a pair of Tannoy M1's. I wasn't satisfied with their sound somehow, so I put them up for sale on audioreview.com. To cut a long story short, a guy made me an offer and I accepted. I took the speakers to his place, he paid me, and I told him to hook them up just to make sure they are working OK. He hooked them up to a Rotel 60 watts/channel integrated amp and played Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" on his Rotel CD player. I was shocked as how good the M1's sounded with his Rotel gear. Almost asked him to take his money back in exchange for "my" speakers.

5. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

Tannoy builds very nice hardware.

The M series would make a fine base for a home theater.

They have a uncolored natural sound,I think that is why alot of people overlook them.

Another reason they are not as popular as the mainstream speakers is because you can't run into a circuit city or bestbuy to purchase them.

6. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I've been using Tannoy for years...I currently use PBM 8's for L/R and PBM 6.5's for Rears. I have sold many pairs of Tannoy via my pro audio company. Recording studios seem to have taken a liken to them for nearfields...Tannoy's larger series (215, etc.) are used for farfields. Not a bad price point either. Everyone who has heard them, seems to like the sound. I use Carver PM-300's to power them.

TK

7. Will C

Will C Auditioning

If you want to get some feedback on some UK people who use tannoy then try www.avforums.com which is a UK home cinema site. They may help with some of their good (and not so good experiences). They have tended to do well in What Hi-Fi (UK hi-fi mag). Usually 4-5 stars.
    Rgds

8. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of MX2 as my mains and a MXC for my center channel. They are great speakers. I have a pair of MXR on order. Stereophile guide to HT (JAN 02 issue) has the MX2s as "budget product of the year". For $400/pair, it is a great deal for the quality you get.

9. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I hate raising old threads, but there's more to these...

...the Mercs are the entry level (still excellent), then the Saturns. These are the one's I'm looking at.

The NEWS is that Tannoy is releasing a new product line between the Saturn and their premier line (can't remember that name cuz I clearly couldn't afford to look at it)...

anyway, it the IRIS series...

The Saturns and Iris series are WELL worth a serious look.

(and I ain't even a Brit)

10. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    Its called the Eyris, and has a supertweeter that goes out to 50khz. Like almost all Tannoy's, the reviews are glowing [​IMG]
    Btw, I have Saturns, and I can tell you that the midrange is fabulous (IMHO comparable to more expensive Dynaudio's)... However, the treble is a little soft, and bass can get muddy (compared to more expensive speakers of course). The way to get around this is rewiring the internal thin, cheap wires with heavy gauge OFC or silver cable, and soldering it onto the driver and crossovers (standard Saturn's use slide-on connectors). I am told that the improvement is well worth the effort.
    Cheers,
    Mike

11. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

50 khz... my dog will like that (j/k)

Thanks for the update... seems Tannoy is very popular in Europe, Asia, and Oz.

12. sam_canavo

sam_canavo Stunt Coordinator

You may want to contact these guys, it will be closer than

across the pnd.

Tannoy North America

300 Gage Avenue, Unit 1

Kitchener

Ontario N2M 2C8

Canada

13. sam_canavo

sam_canavo Stunt Coordinator

Tannoy North America