Whats the viewing angle on modern RPTVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jan 3, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My friend is looking for a TV, and im trying to convince him to get a smallish 43"-ish HD-ready RPTV since its only about $500 more than a 36" Non-HD Sony Wega, but he's worried about the viewing angle...

I know that RPTVs improved alot, but what approximately is the viewing angles of the modern RPTVs? Like how many degrees to the screen can you be before its unwatchable?

How about the old RPTVs? what were their viewing angles?

Thanks...

2. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

RPTV's have improved greatly over the years. side to side viewing over 35 dgrees brightness should not diminsh much at all. It is the vertical movement that dims the picture. If you stand up from your seated position the picture will definitely appear to dim drastically. That should not be a problem unless your friend likes to watch TV standing up[​IMG]

3. John Smil

John Smil Auditioning

I just purchased a Panasonic PT47wx49 RPTV and the I am very pleased with the picture. There is very little problem with side to side viewing. I too was going to purchase a Wega and my concern was with viewing angles on RPTV. However there has been a huge improvement in this area as far as I can see.I just watched my first DVD last night and believe me the picture is fantastic. I was able to purchase this TV at Frys for $1499. A basic Wega at Costco 36" was $1250. No comparison...........as far as I'm concerned.

4. Leonard Gee

Leonard Gee Auditioning

check Crutchfield website. They recently posted a matrix with typical viewing angles for 16:9 rptv's.

5. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I too have the 47" Panny, no problem from the sides at all. Of course, I love sitting directly in front of it, but since RPTV's are flat screen no problems to the side. I agree, standing up and the picture looks like $hit.

6. Al_G

Al_G Auditioning

does it matter how high you are sitting down??

I usually watch TV on my Bed, so would it be too high to watch a projection tv on that?