What's new

What's the TiVo subscription fee for? (1 Viewer)

Tom_-^*M

Auditioning
I mean, there's no fee to write to my hdd on my pc. Can you "hit the record button" and just record? The subscription fee must be for the neat scheduling features, like record all chainsaw massacre movies directed by Smith that you have determined that I enjoy? Just a stupid question. I'm researching TiVo and all sorts of other stuff and I think I'm actually getting MORE confused.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The fee is for the TiVo service that gives you a regularly updated broadcast schedule, which is what allows you do set up things like season passes (record all episodes of s show) or wishlists (record things that match the designated criteria).

Can you "hit the record button" and just record?
Not on any recent model TiVo. They're designed to work exclusively with the TiVo service. If all you want is a hard disc recording device, TiVo is not for you.

M.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The service fee basically covers the cost of software + the guide data updates. They aren't making any money on the hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks