What's the story on the picture quality of the Crow DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reginald Trent, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Best Buy have the two Crow DVDs in a double pack for 17.99 I'm considering them but I seem to recall there was discussion about bad picture quality of the DVDs. Is that right or am I mistaken?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Unless the first Crow disc has been repressed, it's the same non-anamorphic badly color timed disc that was first issued

The Collector's edition is anamorphic and properly timed

3. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

It's a good question, and I believe Jeff provided the answer.
    This brings up another question regarding the two-packs you'll find in Best Buy and other outlets.
    Are these copies of the same quality as the stand-alone releases, or are they the same copies, simply bundled for quicker sales?
    I picked up the Hellraiser two-pack (Bloodline & Inferno) at Best Buy for what I thought was a keen price of $17.99. When I got home, I started to debate the quality of the discs, the same way I've debated in the past about penny DVD's from Columbia House.
    I haven't opened it yet, mostly because I have a small stack of discs waiting to be viewed. I'd hate to hear that these are lesser quality discs (picture and sound, not story [​IMG]).
    -g

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I only have the first Crow movie, but will second what Jeff said above. You want the two disc Collectors edition. Great transfer, especially since the movie is dark. Great DTS soundtrack. Well worth the money.

5. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

As far as I know, the ones in the two-packs are identical to the separate releases. I've bought two of them--the From Dusk Till Dawn set (with FDTD:CE/FDTD 2) and the Cusack 2-pack (High Fidelity and Gross Pointe Blank). I already had GPB, so I didn't open up the one I got in the 2-pack, but the packaging is exactly the same--right down to the UPC.

As far as The Crow goes--the 2-disc Collector's Edition is a better buy at $14.99 than the two-pack with the crappy original disc is at $17.99.

6. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

DO NOT buy the original, Non-annie single disc "The Crow". The collector's version pic. is INFINITELY better.
    [​IMG] D

7. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I'd rather pull out my VHS copy of The Crow than go back to the original 3/27/99 release of The Crow on DVD!! It's THAT bad! The new 2 disc collector's edition is great. Could have been greater in content, but that's another thread :rollseyes

Any of the new Dimension/Miramax Collector's Editions of any Crow films are really of good quality. Not to mention they are all both anamorphic AND have dual DD/DTS. If you are a fan of the original, there is no other version to own than the new SE than came out last year. Due to last minute changes in commentaries, the movie is almost by itself on disc one. Very Superbit like. Couldn't be happier with the quality of the presentation, honestly.

Matt

8. Reginald Trent

What about the Miramax/Dimension Crow 3 pak? How's the transfers on those? Are they worth the purchase?

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The 3 pack are the collectors editions with DTS/anamorphic
    Unfortunately decent transfers don't help Crow 2 or 3 [​IMG]
    I wish they'd do a proper reissue on Prophecy 1 and 2 [​IMG]

10. Reginald Trent

Jeff, are you saying the first Crow is the only one worth owning? [​IMG]

11. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Glad this subject came up. Does anyone else find the LFE on one scene of the film far too overcooked? It's the explosion of 'Arcade Games', this scene makes my sub ((((RATTLE)))) and not in a good way either. [​IMG] It just sounds bad.
    It's like that on both the original non-anamorphic version and the two disc edition.

12. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

13. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

John,
    That blast was like that in the theater, too. Could have been spectacular but it comes out pretty uneven. I still think the DVD is one of the best I've seen, transfer and audio considered only.

Matt