What's the status on these special editions?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haden, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

I was looking over my list of old rumored special editions planned for 2003/2004/Later, I'm wondering if anyone knows the current status of the following rumored releases:

Black Rain (I thought this was coming out before the end of 2003)

Greystoke - the Legend of Tarzan (Wasn't this also supposed to come out at the end of 2003?)

The Game (Has Criterion said whether or not they are definitely doing this? Or anyone else?)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Another one I was expecting in 2003)

Planet of the Apes (originally rumored as a Fox 5-star edition, but I guess that's changed)

As Good As It Gets (There's already a lackluster "special edition", but wasn't a better one rumored for 2003?)

The Frighteners (was rumored for 2003/2004 to capitalize on Peter Jackson's LOTR success, so what happened?)

Dick Tracy (is this totally a lost cause now? It was supposed to be a Vista Series release and turned out to be barebones. I thought Warren Beatty was eager to do a great special edition of this.)

Resident Evil (didn't the director promise a 2-disc set with a new cut of the film to be released within a year after the regular release?)

Shawshank Redemption (Is it still rumored as a release next year for the 10th anniversary?)

Bladerunner (I can't keep up with all the random news and rumors on this one either... when the hell will it ever come out?)

Batman and Batman Returns (Jeez.. why even bother asking about these? [​IMG] )

The Road Warrior (shortly after the Mad Max:SE came out, this was rumored to be released within that year, but I assume it's on hold now until Mad Max 4 comes out?)

I haven't heard any rumors about the rest of these, but I've been resisting getting the current releases in hopes for a better special edition. Anybody heard about re-releases of the following:

Field of Dreams
    The Quick and the Dead
    The Untouchables
    Far and Away (the extended cut)
    Waterworld (the extended cut)
    The Paper (I want a widescreen release!)

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

What about "Spaceballs"? Wasn't that supposed to be re-released this year as an SE with (if I remember correctly) 40 minutes of deleted scenes?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

1-2-3-4-5...THAT'S THE STUPIDEST COMBINATION I'VE EVER HEARD!

4. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info Jeff

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I don't know what's preventing Universal from issuing the Frighteners SE, though. The material's all done since the LD and just needs to be slapped onto a 2 DVD set pretty much intact. Unless there are rights issues of some kind, or Jackson maybe wanting to revisit it but being otherwise occupied...but that didn't slow down Bad Taste SE, which he controls more completely.

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

7. Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena Stunt Coordinator

How about Goodfellas whens the release date for that thing. I havn't heard much for a couple of months!

8. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Well, Batman and Batman Returns might finally be on the radar screen since WB announced today that Christian Bale's been cast as the new Batman, and filming is supposed to start in early-2004. That means SE's could start appearing next summer to build hype for the rebirth of the franchise.

9. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Is the Panic Room SE still coming?

10. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Yeah, great news about the Batman/Christian Bale announcement. He was the top pick by many fans. However I don't think we'll get the Batman special editions until late 2004/early 2005 when its closer to the new Batman film's actual release in summer 2005, to help promote the movie. Besides, it's all dependent on Tim Burton's involvement, and if he's too busy right now to finish whatever additional extras are required to release Ed Wood then he's probably too busy to do anything with the Batman special editions either.

11. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    EMPIRE magazine just reported that SHAWSHANK is on track for 2004.

BLACK RAIN - Last I heard it was 2004, but Ridley's pretty busy these days.

GOODFELLAS - well, there was some cryptic reference to big releases next year in that Warners talk. I'm guessing maybe it'll appear then. To keep myself going, I've just ordered the German edition of MEAN STREETS (called HEXENKESSEL over there) which includes a 40 minute doc and interviews ; so that should be coming our way sometime, I'd think.

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - this one was mentioned on inserts years ago. However, Coppola's just signed up with an independent ; it's through them that he's doing the ONE FROM THE HEART S.E. and there are more on the way. Unlikely that DRACULA'll be one of them, granted.

But yeah - THE UNTOUCHABLES ! I can't believe they haven't done anything with that yet. I'm trying to resist buying the bare-bones disc because I'm sure it'll happen someday.

12. Bryan_Bortz

Bryan_Bortz Stunt Coordinator

I hope Criterion gets The Game.

-Owl