What's new

What's the status of The Enemy Below? 20th Century Fox's War Classics (1 Viewer)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I would like to ask Peter Staddon if Fox plan to re-acquire the rights to "Beneath the Twelve-Mile Reef" as I heard this film is in public domain. A new 16x9 2.55:1 transfer in 4.0 would be splendid!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Ahh... That's why I don't remember starting this thread. I don't usually name threads like that. :D More seriously, I surely hope that this title is not snuffed out again. I'm planning on rebuying, but it it is gone again, I still have my WS R2 Japanese version & a WS Laserdisc. :frowning:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
A question for you expects out there in DVD Land about "The Enemy Below". When this was in the theatres in the 1950's did it have a Stereo sound track at all? The R2 Japanese DVD that I bought last year has a 5.0 audio track according to my Yamaha AV receiver. The WEB site of the Japanese company I bought it from indicates that the DVD has an English Dolby Digital 4.0 channel Surround audio track. And of course the R1 specs seem to point to a 2.0 mono track. Thanks for your insight. :) :)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just found a DVD of ENEMY BELOW at a local store.
I watched it tonight.
It looks great and it is in 4.0 and sounds terrific

Now that "Passion" has been announced, iits time for some of the Fox biblical epics!!!!! EGYPTIAN
STORY OF RUTH
DAVID AND BATHSHEBA

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Are you referring to the R1 Fox War Series release?

Don't hold your breath on "The Egyptian". If I recall correctly at the Fox chat it was said that there was no plans for releasing "The Egyptian"

Well there seems to be some question about the Audio tracks being reported at e-tailer sites & what the DVD of "The Enemy Below" may acually have on it. Hmm... :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
ENEMY was, of course, a fox cinemascope film with four channel stereo sound. It was also surround sound on ts previous laserdisc release. Didn't realise this title was due in this bunch of war films.
Prince Valiant is due out today - does anyone know if it's 2.0 stereo or 4.0 or what?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
ENEMY BELOW is R1--- and is in 4.0

I mentioned THE EGYPTIAN as did others in the chat and I believe Mr Staddon said he would "look into it".

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Since this R1 disc appears to be pretty bare, I'll stay with my Japanese R2 DVD which has 5.0 sound.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just got my copy of The Enemy Below and something's bugging me - who is that on the cover with Robert Mitchum, 'cos it sure doesn't look like Curt Jurgens!

---
So many films, so little time...

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Great I won't have to watch my EB pre-recorded VHS anymore. Moritori, my fave Janet Margolin is in this one, daughter of Stuart Margolin. Moritori is played also by Yul Brynner and Marlin Brando two good actors in the male leading men!

O/T After his last broadway show (King and I) Yul made a statement that his smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day is what was killing him, he was right they did!

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up "The Enemy Below" from Costco for $13.99. It is double packaged together with "Sink the Bismarck" as part of the Fox War Classics series. It makes for a great double feature and yes, "The Enemy Below" is 4.0!

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Koch is A1 correct on the 4.0 I just ordered the 2.35:1 anamorphic with 4.0(Pro-logic)and in color DVD a few minutes ago. I can't wait to see what some of the sailors called a feather merchant, a 30 wonder from the Merchant Marine. To you my friend and you my friends-Curt Douglas trying to lighten up his men by singing to 78 R.P.M. vinyl.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Ummm, The Enemy Below is anamorphic, right? Thanks if you know, I can't get my hands on this info at the places I order, and want to order this RIGHT NOW if it is anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks