What's the standard speaker amount for dts-es and dd-ex for back center speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tyrone, Dec 31, 2001.

1. John Tyrone

John Tyrone Agent

I've noticed that most recievers out now that support 6.1 have hook-ups for only one speaker for the back center channel. However some of the high end recievers allow you to hook up two rear center speakers. I realize it's still one channel, but what's the standard, 1 or 2 speakers?

John

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I don't know about there being a "standard". Most DVDs are 5.1 while some are 5.1 with a matrix 6th channel. The thing is that if you got 7 speakers and the receiver supports 7 there's no reason to put 6 instead of 7. The receiver will send sound to all 7 channels. As of right now the rear centers don't do that much but from what I have heard it does add quite a bit to the surround effect in movies. It really doesn't matter whether the DVD will be 5.1 6.1 or 7.1. (there are rumours of something more than that). Of course if the DVD has 7ch encoding it would sound better on a 7ch system but in most cases having 7 will be better than having 6 or 5. If it doesn't just disconnect the extra speaker(s). Besides you have to buy speakers in a pair anyways.

3. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

> Besides you have to buy speakers in a pair anyways.

Does that mean that center speakers (sold singly) are not used for rear center?

Radio Shack sells speakers (or prices them) singly, so it seems that you could buy only one. I have no idea whether their speakers are worth buying (Marek is the brand, I believe). They are often on 1/2-price sale ($500./pair at half-price).

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I read on this forum that DTS recommends only ONE rear center channel, direct radiating. When using a 7 speakers, the rear center(s) I would think two direct radiating rear speakers would no anchor the sound well. In a 7.1 setup, it was recommended to have each of the surrounds be bi/dipole with the two side surrounds directly along side the listener, and the two rear centers equally spaced behind the listener. This should provide a very diffused surround.

As for how much the rear center is used, the only material I have ever seen that is ES/EX are movies. The rear wall in my room is basically all glass, so I don't have a good place to put my rear center, but I hooked it up for a while just to hear it. There is a slight improvement with 5.1 material in a 6.1 matrixed mode, but when playing back 6.1 material I was VERY impressed. There is a LOT of center information - in particular T2:UE, Toy Story 2 and Gladiator sounded GREAT!

5. John Tyrone

John Tyrone Agent

So would you use the same style of back center channel speaker that we use for the center channel? Or can it be any direct speaker? I have 2 dipoles for the surround left and right. I'd like to know if I buy a reciever with only one center rear hookup that will be good enough or should I wait until most recievers offer 2 hookups for the back?

John

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

you an use the same kind center for the rear as the front. Most receivers support 7.1 but only have amplification for 6 speakers and you have to get an amp for the 7th channel. if you don't have a big room then you system will be fine with just a single rear center.

7. John Tyrone

John Tyrone Agent

So if you use the same kind of center speaker for the back center surround, does that mean it is meant to be a direct radiating speaker only?

John

8. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

9. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

You can use any type of speaker for your rear channel that you like. If you can, try different speakers(direct rad.,bipole,dipole)in your room and see what sounds best to you.

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Again this is probably going to be one of those situations where you should really go with whatever sounds best to you, but I read a Home Theater Mag article about a year ago that did a blind test with 6-7 speakers both dipole and direct. Their conclusion was that the best sound was produced with 7 speakers with the 4 surrounds being dipole. Now this test was probably preformed in some super perfect home theater room that I can only dream about, but that was what their editors decided was the best configuration.

If you are worried about having to narrow your choices to only the more expensive models that have 7 channels consider buying a 6 channel model with pre-outs. Then you can use an inexpensive stereo amp to power the two center surrounds. That is probably what I am going to do when I next upgrade my system.

Chris S.