What's new

What's The Secret to Bob Evans Eggs? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
They make them so good. whether scrambled or over easy, you can't go wrong with BE. How do they do it? Low heat? butter? cooking spray? XL eggs? TLC?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Chuck:

I have no idea, never having eaten in a BE restaurant. But, as someone who's best friend owns and is the head chef at a restaurant, I can tell you something interesting he once told me...

Butter...

The reason why most everything he cooks me--from pasta sauces, to steaks, to vegetables--tastes better than I can make it myself, is that he adds more real butter than one might care to imagine.

So, that would be my guess.

Oh, and, like Anthony Bourdain says, never order fish on Mondays, and don't eat brunch.

:D

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I had Bob Evans eggs (scrambled) on Sunday, and they were terrible. The sausage gravy over biscuits were very good, though.

I started making my own scrambled and over-easy eggs based on methods suggested by Alton Brown of The Food Networks' Good Eats show, and now I am disappointed in most restaurants' eggs.

The key is practice. Just buy a couple dozen eggs and do it over and over. I will say that even though I use a nonstick frying pan (Scanpan), I add a pat of butter for taste.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
depends on the better you use too....i use expensive butter...french butter...it smells good and it's a little salted...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I would think Angelo has a good point about the butter.

In a somewhat related topic: The reason why you can't make anything taste exactly like store-bought cookies is because they use tropical oils. I'm not sure if this is still true, but years ago you couldn't buy tropical oils because all of the cookie companies had exclusive rights to them. And that's why you could never bake anything that compared to store bought.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Angelo, one can never go wrong recommending butter or quoting Bourdain (in my book).

My best friends wife makes great scrambled eggs, fluffy and moist. Her secret is to add a little bit of mayo to the eggs instead of milk before beating. It works (funny since good mayo is basically eggs and oil).

-j

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
My sister cooks the world's greatest scrambled eggs, hands down. Apparently the secret it to never put the burner at anything hotter than medium heat.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
JayV:

Thanks for the complement! Anyone who thinks they know something about food but hasn't read Kitchen Confidential is really missing out. Not only is Bourdain a gifted writer, but, based on the book and his TV show, the guy has a great BS detector, and tells it like it is. I'll never look at a bowl of mussels the same way again... Wait, check that... I'll never look at a bowl of mussels again, period...

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
the secret is definitely butter! I will never use just cooking spray again, yuck!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It seems more restaurants will try to give you 'buffet eggs' (you know, that spongy stuff from a carton) when you order scrambled.

But I hate runny eggs. Should I order them 'over hard'? Never tried that.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
being on the atkins diet I fry about everything. Since it's been well below zero here, BBQ isn't high on my list of things to do so I've taken to pan frying my steaks in lard. Lots and lots of lard :D
bacon fat works well too, I like to cook my scrambled eggs in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks