What's the scoop on DUMB and DUMBERER

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tom Rags, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

So what is the deal on Dumb and Dumberer? Are Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels attached to this?

I saw the preview before The Two Towers and had no idea that this was even coming out. I do not remember hearing that Jim Carrey was doing this. If the original cast is attached, I am all over this one. However, in the teaser, there are no actors credits (which leads me to believe something fishy).

The original Dumb and Dumber was very disappointing at the theaters for me. However, with each repeated viewing, it has become one of my all-time favorite comedies. What appears to be blatent sophomoric humor upon initial viewing becomes pure genius over time.

So please, please, please somebody tell me that Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are actually doing a sequal to this! Help!

2. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

No, it's a prequel, full title When Harry Met Lloyd: Dumb & Dumberer. Lloyd is played by some first-timer, while Harry is played by that guy who was Mason's son on '24'.
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0329028
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Did a quick scan of the info over at the the Internet Movie Database.

This is a prequel set back in high school in the 1970s... the director is a veteran of several MTV productions, but also some promising stuff such as Tenacious D and the (as of yet) unreleased Mr. Show movie, RUN, RONNIE, RUN. He is also, unfortunately, credited as the director of the Michael-Keaton-as-a-snowman bomb JACK FROST...

Harry is being played by an actor with a handful of film and TV credits, including NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE. The guy playing Lloyd has no other credits whatsoever.

4. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I have to say, i went to 2 different screenings in 2 different citys of TTT and the "Dumb and Dumberer" trailer ran at both of them and the audience response was very positive.

Paul

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Did the trailer mention anything about who's starring and directing the film? I think people would be disappointed that this film is nothing more than a cheap way to cash in on the first film.

6. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Yes I noticed a buzz too, but I think it had to do with the hope that Carrey and Daniels were going to be in it as the voice over sounds a lot like them.

7. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I remember the "Dell Guy" was in consideration for a part.

8. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Ugh, I am so pissed that Jim Carrey is not involved. If he were in it, they would have said so in the teaser. I knew something was fishy. Response was very positive when the teaser came on, but I am sure that most will be disppointed like me knowing that the real actors aren't involved. This is a poor advertising campaign in my opinion; it is only going to get people's hopes up just to deflate them later. I bet this will turn many people off who might have gone to see it...

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    On the upside, Jim Carrey's new film "Bruce Almighty," which was previewed before TTT when I saw it, looks promising. Carrey back in full-on comedy mode, apparently.

10. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

no one knows that carrey and daniels are not in it that is why they are excited. BAD decision to do it this way IMO

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Stupid and stupiderer. [​IMG]

12. Ryan Satriani

Yeah i had my hopes up too, i just found out today that Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels weren't a part of it. Same with the Farrely brothers, its gonna suck.[​IMG]

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Well, it's still intriguing to me...but maybe I'm a sucker for a good tagline:
    "A New Bread of Idiots" [​IMG]
    Anyone recall what the tagline in the teaser was? I remember something like "They're young, fun and full of dumb" and that got a good laugh as well.
    Bruce

14. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I will go merely for the fact that they made fun of themselves in the preview.

Something to the ring of -

"Dumberer: Completely devoid of anything that resembles
    intelligence whatsoever.

For Instance... Making a prequel to Dumb and Dumber"

15. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

16. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

I would of still been sort of excited had the main actors not done it, but the Farrellys would be directing. Neither are doing it, so I smell another "...teen movie"

17. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

18. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

I was real excited when I heard about this movie and then I was very disappointed when Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels were not going to be in it. But now that I've seen the previews on TV I think this movie may be pretty funny. I will give it a chance when it comes out and go see it. I loved the first movie and have watched the DVD like 10 times now. I still laugh at this movie even after watching it that many times. It just cracks me up like no other movie can.[​IMG]

19. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I liked when they called it a movie for "Duh Masses." I was very leary, but the TV ads look great.

20. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

The scoop?

Craptacular.