What's new

What's the quietest 80mm PC fan? (1 Viewer)

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get my PC to be a little less loud, and the first thing I'll do is get new fans for the CPU and case. What is the best fan for the job? It seems panaflo's have a good rep. Any other recommendations?

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you want the quietest, especially for the cpu fan ;)

However, yes, the Panaflo L1A line is very quiet. I also recommend the NMB fans that have about the same specs as the Panaflo L1A's, but they're hard to find. Vantec has a 80mm fan that puts out quite a bit more cfm and isn't all that noticably louder, but I don't recall the model (SVC sells/sold them). There are a few more around this volume, but I can't recall their names.

Edit: I don't mean to say Panaflo and the like can't be used for the cpu, since depending on your setup and heatsink they definitely can. I meant to say that the quietest fans you can find will not work, as they don't have high enough air flow.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
vantec stealth's are also a goo quiet line of fans.

though you should consider looking into purchaing a fanbus. A Fanbus consists of rheostats that will slow down or speed up fans as per the users whim. a good fanbus, purchased or homemade, will give you precise control over how quiet you want your computer to be.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Panaflo or Papst are the one's to get if you are doing a HTPC minus gameplay. However, a fanbus makes the most sense and is your safest alternative if you intend to play games or overclock.

Been there done that....I can't recommend YS Tech for noise reduction because initially it's pretty quiet considering the high CFM it kicks out but after 4 - 6 months it picks up a really nasty vibration that travels through your case. I'm not the only one who has commented on this. Their design is unique, novel even, but has quality issues I guess.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Get youself a Thermalright 900 series HS and throw a reasonably quiet 92 mm fan on there and you're cooking with gas.

Zalman makes an interesting 92 mm cooling solution as well.

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice guys. I've ordered one of these fan controllers:

Super Flower Fan Master Fan Speed Controller

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...an_bus-06.html

and some of the Panaflo and Vantec fans. I'll experiment with them in different places in the case, and see how low I can get my noise and temps.

Oh, and to answer your question, I've got an AMD 2700 CPU with one of these heatsinks:

http://www.slcentral.com/SLK-900A/

Thanks again.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Put in another pro for the Vantec Stealth.. quiet, and put out a fair amount of air while doing it.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
My Vantec case fans are noisy as he11. I disconnected them on one computer and the temp seems to still be safe. Be sure you really need them first. My CPU fan seems to do just fine on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks