What's the purpose of having a seperate partition for Windows?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Giles, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

I have been told that by making a partition just for your boot drive, you can install all other programs on other partitions and when you need to reinstall windows, you dont have to redo everything. Just the C drive. How do you do this? I have ALWAYS reinstalled windows by doing a fresh install. Backing up all important files (my docs) and just starting over from scratch. I do this every few months, but it's a pain in the butt cause I have to reinstall all of my games and other programs. Service pack2, etc...

When you reinstall windows, is there a way to shorten this process by just reinstalling windows on the C drive but keeping all of the other programs safe on the other drives? If so, how do you know if windows points to all of the programs correctly still? All of the shortcuts in the Start menu wont be there anymore right? Wouldnt it be more of a hassle making sure all of the registry entries are still correct? Can someone enlighten me on this? Thank you!

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    You will have to reinstall all the software even if it's on a separate partition. HOWEVER, having all your data on a separate partition (including your mail) allows you to recover from fatal operating system crashes without losing any critical data. Even if you have to reinstall all your game software just to restore the shortcuts and registry entries, you'll still have all of your saved games.

Of course, this is useless if the hard drive itself fatally crashes, which is why I back up everything on external hard drives just in case.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The first thing to do after a fresh install is to reassign "My Documents" to another drive. If you put your games on "D" too, you won't have to remember if you moved all of your saved games out of "C" before doing a format. It makes for a much easier install. I'm not a 'gamer', but if you reinstall games, doesn't the install keep your saved games?

Glenn

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I keep a seperate partition to store drivers, slipstreamed copy of windows, important files and whatnot on for my monthly windows reinstall. That way I can format the OS partition everytime without any problems and it cuts the reinstall time down to about half an hour to an hour at longest.

Other people do partitions for performance, with a partition youy can force certain applications to different areas of the hard disk. Like force games to sit on the outside of the platter which will have the highest performance.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Off topic here, but you format and reinstall Windows every few months????

Wow. When I reload my system it takes me almost that long to get everything set back the way I had it before.

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

I was wondering that too. Why so often? The only two times I've ever had to reinstall Windows on my +3 year old machine was when bad memory, then bad overclocking corrupted the drive.

7. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

We'll maybe that was being generous. But I reinstall more than a few times a year. I dont orginize my files all that great. But probably the biggest reason why I've reinstall is that feeling that everything is running fast and hassle free. I install a lot of trial programs and games, to try them out. Sometimes I forget to uninstall them or I start to get conflicts with files running in the background that I forget what does what. I would just rather reinstall everything cause sometimes it takes just as long to try to figure out the freezes and illegal operations then to just reinstall.

8. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

i keep windows on a seperate partition and keep a norton ghost back up on a different drive/different partition. if i ever want to 'reinstall windows' i go back to that norton partition and my 'reinstall' takes less than 10 minutes with all of my programs and a clean operating system back at optimal performance.

all of my other data is backed up on removable media or other partitions/drives.

to answer your question i don't think it is possible to reinstall windows and then 'activate' programs from another partition. however, i could be wrong.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I never partition my drives. Last week I reinstalled XP-SP2 on a single C: drive and didn't have to reinstall a single program, and all of the contents in the My Documents and Favorites folders remained the same.

10. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Just image your drive(s) like Diallo said. You'll always have a working copy of everything ready to go when you hose your system.

11. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I was exagerating a bit. [​IMG] but I do reinstall more often than most folks, my main computer is a laptop and reinstalling every so often really cuts back on the time it takes to boot and to come out of hibernation. Not to mention it removes crap that I installed for one reason or another and completely forgot about for some other reason.

You actually can have have a program re-installed, what you would need to do is find out what entries in the windows registry the program makes and then create a registry file. Double click the file to re-import those entries and your program has been re-installed completely. It's something more technical that I even don't bother with, a fresh install just always comes out performing better.