What's new

Whats the Probability that Dallas or Silk Stalkings (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
You mean, you don't think they were actually on location there? They were, actually, and it was a biggish deal at the time.

I don't think the themes were screwed with. They had a new orchestration every season, but if I remember, I'll check my (older) DVDs later.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
actually, At the time I was 17 and I thought they were on a set LOL I Looked it up on IMDB a few days ago and discovered they were actually there ..

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've finished with the original series ..watched The Early Years and seasons 1-14 as well as J.R. Returns and War of the Ewings. Now I am watching Season 1 of the reboot. I was never a big fan of the Reboot because I did not like fact that it didnt Consider J.R. Returns and War of the Ewings as Canon. In J.R. Returns, J.R. becomes Head of Westar, Bobby owns Ewing Oil with Sue Ellen, and Cliff Is Retired after He finds Afton and Pamela. In war of the Ewings, McKay joins Ewing Oil and is fired by Sue Ellen after he is discovered trying to Drill on Southfork at Ray's ranch. Ray Sells his ranch back to Mckay after bidding against J.R. ..Bobby Decides he wants to take a break form the Oil Business and Leave Sue Ellen in charge of Ewing Oil.

The Reboot does not directly address what brought Cliff out of Retirement or why he became angry with Bobby. It also doesn't address directly what happened with Cliff and Afton and why Afton becomes Angry with Christopher. Last but not Least, In J.R. returns, Christopher and John Ross get along. It is implied that they argued over women and Business over the years since.

I was also hoping for an ending film since there was no season 4 to Explain what happened when the Car exploded at the end of Season 3. Is Christopher Dead? Does Jaquin get brought to justice for killing Drew and Trying to Destroy the Ewing Empire by Fraud ?? How about Harris Ryland and his mother ?? all unanswered questions ..Or am I Missing something ?

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
You mean, you don't think they were actually on location there? They were, actually, and it was a biggish deal at the time.

Kind of like O-R Jack Lord Five-O and The Streets of San Francisco?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm of the mind that the reboot series should have ended when they laid JR to rest. That's when I tuned out, honestly. The final episode of that season was lovely and a nice way to honor Hagman and his contributions. Having said that, I really wish series wouldn't rely on cliffhangers at the end of seasons. Especially when their ratings are in the cellar. The list of shows I'll never have in my library for that reason grows more every year.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm of the mind that the reboot series should have ended when they laid JR to rest. That's when I tuned out, honestly. The final episode of that season was lovely and a nice way to honor Hagman and his contributions. Having said that, I really wish series wouldn't rely on cliffhangers at the end of seasons. Especially when their ratings are in the cellar. The list of shows I'll never have in my library for that reason grows more every year.

I agree I know they really wanted to do Season 4. When they didnt, I would have settled for a one or 2 episode movie to close out the series. Actually, I have tweeted to Patrick Duffy asking him if that may ever happen. He was outspoken about the fact that he did not want the Series to end in the way it did.

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
For so long, Magnum PI on Blu-ray was my holy grail of Blu-ray releases. Now that I own Magnum PI on Blu thanks to FF, the holy grail search must go on and Dallas on Blu-ray has taken that top spot. I've been rewatching the series and have gotten stuck with bad flipper discs. Have debated repurchasing the single sided versions... but you know the moment I do, it will probably be announced on Blu :) If that is what it takes!! :rolling-smiley:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For so long, Magnum PI on Blu-ray was my holy grail of Blu-ray releases. Now that I own Magnum PI on Blu thanks to FF, the holy grail search must go on and Dallas on Blu-ray has taken that top spot. I've been rewatching the series and have gotten stuck with bad flipper discs. Have debated repurchasing the single sided versions... but you know the moment I do, it will probably be announced on Blu :) If that is what it takes!! :rolling-smiley:

I went Ahead and Purchased the Single siders. They have played perfectly in multiple players

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm currently working my way through the original Dallas on the new single-sided discs (just started Season 3). I'll be the first in line for a Blu release, especially if they do a pristine clean-up job on the prints, However, I'm not holding my breath.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is Silk stalkings going to be re released by mill creek in its entirety? I know they released season 1 and seasons 6,7 and 8. But nothing in a complete series or season 2-5

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Is Silk stalkings going to be re released by mill creek in its entirety? I know they released season 1 and seasons 6,7 and 8. But nothing in a complete series or season 2-5

Hard to say, from an outsider's perspective.

There could be various possiblities for a lack of re-releases for seasons 2-5 of Silk Stalkings. For example:

- Sales were abysmal for the season 6-8 set (with Cassy and Tom) ?

- Mill Creek no longer has the rights to Stephen J Cannell's catalog shows ?

- It is in the "todo" backlog ? (ie. Mill Creek is busy with Sony stuff currently, etc ...).

Only an insider will know for sure what is the situation.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It appears other Stephen J Cannell complete series sets released by Mill Creek might also be out of print.

- The Commish
- Renegade
- Hunter
- the original 21 Jump Street
- Pacific Blue
- The Greatest American Hero
- Stingray
- Cobra
- Wiseguy
- Ten Speed and Brownshoe
- Booker
- Hawkeye

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have no idea who currently has the dvd rights for various Cannell shows which were previously released by Mill Creek, VEI, AnchorBay, etc ...

The only case I'm aware of, would be The Greatest American Hero. It was re-released last year (for the third time) by Cinedigm, as a 9-disc complete series set. As far as I can figure out, this Cinedigm disc + episodes configuration appears to be almost identical to the previous Mill Creek version.

If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if Cinedigm just used the exact same Mill Creek versions. (Perhaps they might have changed the Mill Creek logo screens, into Cinedigm logo ones?)

(Cinedigm is the company which distributed movies like the Sharknado franchise and other "bottom feeder" stuff from The Asylum).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Lets hope that if Cinedigm has the rights to all these Stephen J Cannell shows, that they will eventually re-release them all as complete series sets in those giant 24-disc digipak cases.

Of the few Cinedigm released dvd discs I have, they were manufactured at Technicolor's giant Mexico plant. (This is IFPI KK** code, which is where Paramount, Universal, DIsney, Warner, and Sony also currently manufacture their dvd/bluray discs).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Nevertheless, I do hope that Cinedigm (or somebody else) might release a Silk Stalkings complete series set.

If they take the lazy way out and just use the old discs content from the AnchorBay and Mill Creek releases, then most likely this will be a 42-disc set. The old AnchorBay seasons 1-5 sets were each six-discs faces per season, while the Mill Creek seasons 6-8 were four-discs per season. (IIRC the original AnchorBay versions of the seasons 4 and 5 dvd sets, were three double-sided flipper discs per season).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Since I already did the footwork awhile ago, this is my list of Stephen J. Cannell tv season dvd sets which I'm aware of.

Anchor Bay

21 Jump Street - season 1 (4 discs)

The Commish - season 1 (6 discs)

Silk Stalkings - season 1 (6 discs)

21 Jump Street - season 2 (6 discs)
21 Jump Street - season 3 (6 discs)
21 Jump Street - season 4 (6 discs)

Hunter - season 1 (6 discs)
Hunter - season 2 (6 discs)

Gretest American Hero - season 1 (3 discs)
Gretest American Hero - season 2 (6 discs)
Gretest American Hero - season 3 (4 discs)

Silk Stalkings - season 2 (6 discs)
Silk Stalkings - season 3 (6 discs)

Profit (3 discs)

The Commish - season 2 (6 discs)

Renegade - season 1 (6 discs)

Renegade - seasons 2 and 3 (6 flipper discs)

Hunter - season 3 (3 flipper discs)

21 Jump Street - season 5 (3 flipper discs)

Silk Stalkings - season 4 (3 flipper discs)
Silk Stalkings - season 5 (3 flipper discs)

Greatest American Hero (collector's edition box set) (13 discs)

VEI

Street Justice - season 1 (5 discs)

Cobra (5 discs)

Riptide (13 discs)

Hardcastle and McCormick (15 discs)

Street Justice - season 2 (5 discs)

Stingray (5 discs)

Street Justice - complete series (10 discs)

Mill Creek

Booker (4 discs)

Cobra (4 discs)

Silk Stalkings - season 1 (4 discs)

Tenspeed and Brown Shoe (3 discs)

21 Jump Street (18 discs)

Renegade (20 discs)

Hunter (28 discs)

Wiseguy (13 discs)

The Commish (18 discs)

Greatest American Hero (9 discs)

Prime Time Crime: The Stephen J. Cannel Collection (10 discs)
(includes Unsub, Palace Guard, Missing Persons, Broken Badges)

Stingray (5 discs)

Hawkeye (4 discs)

Pacific Blue (19 discs)

Silk Stalkings - seasons 6-8 (12 discs)

Cinedigm

Greatest American Hero (9 discs)

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I didn't bother listing the Mill Creek releases of the individual season sets of shows for which they already released a complete series set. Too confusing to list them all.

(ie. 21 Jump Street seasons 1-4, Commish seasons 1-2, Wiseguy season 1, Renegade season 1, Hunter seasons 1-2, Greatest American Hero seasons 1-2).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Judging by the timeline in my above list, Mill Creek's deal with the Stephen J. Cannell estate might have expired sometime in the past 5 years. The only definitive case of this would be Greatest American Hero.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At this point if somebody might be willing to release a Silk Stalkings complete series set, it would most likely be a company like VEI or Shout Factory.

Though I strongly suspect Shout Factory might not be so interested in taking up Mill Creek or Anchor Bay's sloppy seconds.

Nevertheless, it appears VEI is willing to take on somebody else's "sloppy seconds".

For example, recently VEI released the Highlander complete series. All the Highlander season sets were previously released by Anchor Bay back in early-mid 2000s (with 8 or 9 discs per season).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks