What's new

What's the Optimum Version of T2? (1 Viewer)

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks a bunch for this Greg....I will check at Target tomorrow, but I believe what I was looking at was the EXTREME EDITION without the slipcase/tin cover; at any rate, I am concerned if I am missing anything by trading up the DTS for the EX.....

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
"I will check at Target tomorrow, but I believe what I was looking at was the EXTREME EDITION without the slipcase/tin cover; at any rate, I am concerned if I am missing anything by trading up the DTS for the EX....."

Yeah, that definitely was the Extreme Edition without the original slipcase. But I'm tellin ya, as cool as that metal slipcase once seemed to be, it's a major pain in the butt to slide that puppy off the DVD, and was poorly designed. So don't feel you're missing out on that.

At any rate, the Extreme is basically the only version which is widely available, as the Ultimate (with that dts soundtrack) has been out of print for awhile now. That's not to say it's impossible to find, however. I actually bought an Ultimate about 6 months ago at a "The Wherehouse." (That's basically a music store that also sells new and used DVD's.) It's a good place to find out of print DVD's.

But if you have to settle for the Extreme edition, it's no slouch in the sound department either. Overall they're both excellent DVD's and you really can't go wrong with either one. That's why I own both.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, James. Much appreciated.

So, you would go as far to say that the Dolby EX mix is as hot as the DTS ES track from the Ultimate cut?

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
I'm no expert on sound, as my home system isn't anything compared to most people's here. But the EE's is good. Probably not as good as the dts, but it's still very good.

And by the way, Best Buy is going to be advertising T2 in this weekend's flyer for $7.99.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Just to confuse you more. I have the Extreme DVD, and it has the slipcover, but it isn't tin. It is cardboard with a slick coating and the raised T2 and skull. It does fit tight though. Does the Ultimate edition have the Special Edition Version of the movie which is about 16 minutes longer? If so, no differentiation there. The Extreme DVD has the Standard and Theatrical version. I really liked the James Cameron commentary on the Extreme DVD. It is very detailed and very interesting. I've never heard the DTS track, but the 5.1 EX track is very good. I'm sure you will enjoy either version.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Shit James....thanks so much for the heads up on the Best Buy thing.....guess I will hold off until this weekend to pick it up...

I am assuming that's going to be for the Extreme Edition, correct, being that the other(s) are out of print?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Damn Demis....I assume you have a region free player then (are you in Region 1?)....thats a nice set! I wish all Region 1 versions of T2, for the Extreme Edition, came with the DTS ES mix....:angry:

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks very much Jeff for your input; yes, I believe all the Extreme discs (before retailers like Wal Mart and Target began removing them for cost cutting) that were sold recently had a slipcase that was cardboard without the "tin" and with the raised T2 and skull....that would have been fine for me, but I believe now they are selling this thing with no case at all, and it looks pretty boring with just Arnold's face on the flat black front. At any rate, I believe the Extreme version has the two cuts of the film, but I am more interested in the audio of these discs than any extra feature or different cut of the picture itself; I wish I could get a definitive answer on whether the 5.1 EX mix is almost -- if not as -- aggressive as the DTS ES track on the discontinued Ultimate Edition, although you say the 5.1 EX track is very good.

Thanks again for your thoughts! :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Came back from Best Buy today (after returning Apollo 13 for Speed) and noticed that T2 is indeed out in blu Ray (as the first Terminator is), and I guess this is why the store is preparing to release a $7.99 (or $8.99) version of the standard DVD this weekend; with no plans of getting a hi-def player right now, this means some more contemplating for the likes of me: get the ULTIMATE EDITION T2 online, with the DTS track (it's out of print as everyone here told me), or stick with the EXTREME EDITION T2, when it comes on sale this weekend, and just "deal" with the Dolby EX track....

Can anyone confirm or report on exactly how the Dolby EX mix measures up to the DTS track on the discontinued Ultimate Edition? Is it really "just as good"?

Thanks guys....:frowning: :frowning:

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I own both versions and did not notice any difference betyween the DTS on the UE and the DD on the EE. To be honest, I did not notice much of a PQ difference, either. I have a Sony 51" 16x9 TV and an Oppo 971H DVD player.

My opinion: Obtain the UE for all the extras (including a third "extra" special edition of the movie with a new ending -- it's an Easter Egg) and the DTS. Rent the EE and listen to the commentary.

The UE is a real "ultimate" edition. That title gets thrown around a lot and it's usually not true. In this case, it is.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
If I had to take one disc to a desert island (an island with a TV, DVD player, surround-sound system etc :)) it would be the DVD-18 version of the Ultimate Edition (R1). So much T2 goodness on a single disc - it still makes me smile to think of it. Go for the UE if you're looking for the best all-round version.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I am a big T2 fan. I get very bothered watching the Extreme edition. I can't help it, I get bothered by the "missing" parts that aren't really missing but that I'm used to in the longest Ultimate version.

I do think the Extreme version looks better, not a lot but noticeable to me. The sound on both versions is pretty good, good enough that I wouldn't choose a version on that basis even though I'm normally a dts fan.

All in all the Ultimate is the version I prefer.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
The longer director's cut is available on the Extreme Edition as a easter egg, isn't it (been a while since I watched it...)?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The first release doesn't look good but it has the original soundtrack. The special edition looks as good as I've ever seen it but has, in my opinion, a lousy 5.1 remix. In other words, there's good things about both releases but if I had to choose one, it would be the SE.

EDIT: Bill's post below is 100% correct so I'd say go for the SE. I apologize for my failing memory :)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I strongly disagree, I think there's a noticeable jump in PQ even on a 4x3 television.

This is definitely a case where you want to buy both versions. The amount of supplements on the UE is remarkable but the EE offers a significantly improved presentation of the film itself, plus a great commentary and a decent amount of extras itself.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I've seen this version (the "hidden" Ultimate Edition cut, with the "Future Coda" ending) broadcast on TV a few times over the years...evidently it made it into the rotation at some point, but of late I've only caught the theatrical edit when flipping past.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Agreed; the difference in picture quality is night and day; I love my UE for the supplements, but I'll never watch the film proper on it again--for that, it's the EE all the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks