What's new

What's the OLDEST CD that you own? (1 Viewer)

James_S

Second Unit
1989-1990:
Mariah Carey - Self Titled (Shoot Me Now) Older Stuff Was Good! & She was sexy then
:D
Pretty Woman - Soundtrack
Madonna - Like A Prayer
Ric P. - I bought Power Station's CD in late 1990, Had the "Some Like it Hot" 45 in 1986.
James

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I think I bought my 1st player in 87 or 88 and took home U2 - The Joshua Tree & Whitesnake - Whitesnake

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
The first two that I bought were:
Beastie Boys: License to Ill
Whitesnake: Whitesnake
Man, those were the days! :)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
The Cure - Disintegration (Purchased Around 1988-89) was the very first. Previous to that I used to get LP's and tape them on my parents "Hi-Fi" for my room tape player.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I got my first CD player and CDs in early 1986. The player was a Technics SL-XP7, the "world's smallest" player at the time, until Sony released its 2nd (or 3rd?) generation Discman. The player is compact, but the battery pack is bulky by today's standards. I still have the player, it's in a box in the attic, it still works with some coaxing.

My first CDs included:

Bryan Adams - Reckless

Tears for Fears - Songs From The Big Chair

Yes - 90125

Pete Townshend - White City

Roger Daltrey - Under A Raging Moon

I still listen to them once in a while. The 80s music was so much better than the garbage that has come out since.

KJP

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I still have the first batch I purchased in 1984 (I believe):

Star Wars original soundtrack

Alan Parsons Project -- Turn of a Friendly Card

Dvorak Symphony #9 -- Chicago/Solti

Beatles Abbey Road (just kidding -- remember the agony of waiting for the Beatles to come out? Much worse than waiting for Star Wars on DVD!)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Robyn Hitchcock's Element of Light. I purchased it in early 1987. I did not actually purchase a CD player until late 1987, but I wanted the bonus tracks and figured it was only a matter of time. :)
Regards,

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Brian:

Actually, I bought ABBEY ROAD on CD in 1984 - it's on EMI-Japan (the same label as my Dark Side of the Moon from the same year).

The 3-4 year wait for the rest of the Beatles catalog was pretty agonizing, however.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Bought the first cd player that phillips put out

1981.. TOP LOADING!!! and it came with 10cds that sucked

most record stores didn't carry cds back then...even tower!

An audiophile store traded me the 10 for REM murmer,Pretenders and Bob Dylans Greatest Hits

Still have them and they still play 20 years down the road

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
My first CD was given to me by my brother for Christmas in 1983 (I didn't even have a CD player yet) - Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly". Great album - I still listen to it several times a year.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I completely missed the CD revolution till the 90's!
My first CD was actually a CD-ROM. It was Corel-DRAW 3, included with the normal 3.5" floppies, and although I had no drive to load the strange silver disc, I kept it safe. At the time, 650Mb was absolutely massive - more than six times my hard disk size back then (in my second PC; my first PC had no hard disk and 512kb of memory!).
I can't remember what my first audio CD was - possibly Queen - Greatest Hits.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Van Halen's self-titled debut. I bought it sometime in the mid-80's. That reminds me. I need to buy the remasters one of these days.

RicP

Screenwriter
Todd,
GET IT!!! The Warner remaster of Van Halen is outstanding!! A Must Have. :D

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Ric - I believe you are right on the date of the CD. My 1st player was a Phase Linear manuf. by Kyocera that opened like a cassette deck and the CDs were oriented like a cassette and I was thrilled it did not have pops and clicks like records so I did not have to use my Burwen Transient Noise Eliminator (TNE-7000) to remove them.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the first CD I purchased was Mike Oldfield's "Discovery" back in 1985. Ths CD was released in 1984. My first CD player was a Pioneer (can't remember the model) that only displayed the track number in an antiquated block numbered format.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
CD players didn't hit our household until 1991...(Bose no less! :b)

My favortie two at the time of purchase:

Frank Sinatra Reprise Years

We Are In Love - Harry Connick Jr.

That's when I became a huge Harry Connick fan.

We have a 1981 December playboy that advertises the first CD player (Sony I think). Very fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks