What's new

What's the OLDEST CD that you own? (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Now by oldest I don't mean in terms of the music. I mean what is physically the oldest CD that you own?
I have a CD by The Power Station (remember them?) that I bought in 1985 and I still have it! Crazy.
Anyone else?

RobR

Second Unit
I believe my first CD is Pearl Jam Ten, which I still listen to. My favorite song on the album is Black.

Darren H

Second Unit
My first CDs were Pink Floyd's Animals and Sting's ...Nothing Like the Sun, both bought the same day I got my first CD player in '88.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I bought Rush's "Moving Pictures" in 1986 at the same time I bought my first CD player. I'm pretty sure "Moving Pictures" was among the first CD's released in the format.

RogerB

Second Unit
The Police - Synchronicity. The album came out in June, 1983 but I assume the CD came later.

KrisM

Second Unit
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation

AC/DC - Back In Black, Highway to Hell, If You Want Blood, and Let There Be Rock all from 1987

KrisM

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I know the first batch of CDs I bought included Billy Joel's "The Nylon Curtain," Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon," Tangerine Dream's "Exit," and Dave Grusin's "Night Lines." All of these were purchased in the summer of 1984 ! Yes, I still have them (and they haven't rotted!). The Billy Joel and PF are Japanese imports.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I have a Denon recording of JS Bach organ music which IIRC was released in 1983 - I bought it at release time. Japanese import as there were NO US pressing facilities at the time, so I can't read the liner notes. Helmuth Rilling at the organ.
Edit: when I got home I looked at it. Denon #38C37-7039. Has a copyright date of "1983.5" on it. :D

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The first CD I ever bought was Madonna's "Like A Virgin"- hey, at least it was a digital recording. I still have the longbox it came in (I always saved those) and the CD label has the "crosshairs" design that the Warner-affiliated companies printed on all their discs (manufactured in West Germany).
The 2nd CD I ever bought was Thomas Dolby's "Golden Age of Wireless", so I think that makes up for my choice of the first CD :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Man, the used thing throws a wrench in it because I might have a few that I bought used after others I bought new.

But based on when it went home with me then my first 5 were:

Unforgettable Fire

Physical Grafitti

Rewind (Stones)

Moving Pictures

Hold Your Fire

1987 just when Hold Your Fire had been released. 87 doesn't sound that long ago but it sure feels it. We would make bi-weekly runs to the new/used CD store dreaming of a car CD player but having to be satisfied with ripping open our long boxes on the way home.

Now a long box would seem so out of place it would be strange. Funny how quickly things change.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There weren't too many CDs out when I got my 1st player and I took home the only 2 titles they had in stock at the store, Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" and Bob James and Earl Klugh "One on One."

Mitty

Supporting Actor
John Cougar Mellencamp, Scarecrow, Summer of 1986.
Paid $400 for the player, $25 for the CD. Don't even ask about whether it was a multi-disc player or not - those were pure science fiction back then. So were remote controls. :)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I could appreciate the gag in MIB, because The Beatles' "White Album" had been both my first CD and my first rebuy.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I now have hundreds and hundreds of CD's, but the first one was a collection of songs from Disney movies - somewhere around 1986.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks