What's the next best cable after component?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Torgny Nilsson, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

My satellite receiver does not have a component video connection. What is the next best choice when connecting to a receiver and projector? Sub-S?

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

S-video is after component

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    The connections go from

1) Composite
    2) S Video
    3) Component
    4) DVI

So if you are going down from component your next best option would be S Video.

Parker

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

S-Video is not always (or even usually) superior to Composite. It depends on which has a better comb-filter, the source, or the display. If you're using a modern HD RPTV then chances are it will have a better comb-filter (3-line or 3D) than your DBS Receiver(2line or possibly only a simple notch-filter). Older or lower-end TVs may or may not have decent comb filters. Either way it's probably going to be something you're going to need to try and then decide which works best in your situation...

6. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Thanks for the help. I got an S-Video cable today and will try it tonight. As I am hooking my digital satellite receiver to a FP with progressive scan, I assume that will work fine. Thanks again.

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

In a DBS receiver there is no comb filter, as the signal is digital MPEG video, component video with the luma signal separate from the color difference signals. So S-video is going to be better.

The "choose device with better comb-filter" only applies to composite video sources, e.g. laserdisc. Not digital video like DVD or DBS.

8. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

That's something I realized after my first post and didn't take the time to correct figuring someone else would.

That said, Laserdisc is still a digital video source, although the digital signal is composite, where DVD and DBS are indeed component.

9. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

No, you are wrong. Laserdisc is an analog video source. Digital audio is available on most of them, but the video is analog.

10. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

You cannot send a progressive scan signal via s-video. S-video and composite are only capable of transmitting 480i. If you want to send 480p or higher to your FP, you need to use component, VGA, or DVI.

SMK

11. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

It's stored on the disc digitaly, correct?

12. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't matter...The source is reference to the output of the signal. Since the output is Composite only, the Source is analog.

13. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

[regarding laserdisc video]:

Not in the case of LD video. It's stored as pits & lands yes, but it is the spacing of them that represents the signal, and is a continuous range of values, hence analog. It's not discrete values representing digital data that is decoded & converted to analog video like on a DVD.

More info here