What's new

What's the "must have" list for a pre/pro these days? (1 Viewer)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Considering upgrading my present preamp (ACT-3).

What features should I expect in a new/replacement preamp?

Here are few things that come to mind...

7.1 surround

DTS-ES

DD P/L2

Component switching

8 channel direct inputs (for heaven knows what in the future)

24 bit DAC's

What else?

I'm thinking in the $2k to $3k range. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Paul,

How about adding these.

1. adjustable crossover below 80hz for all speakers.

2. Here's one I always wished worked this way and just noticed on the Rotel. Default settings for inputs. "DVD can default to Dolby or DTS". I'm so sick of those DVDs that default to prologic. This might cure that.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i wish HDCD decoding / Burr Brown DACs were standard in all receivers and pre/pros. some have them but the vast majority do not. that would be really cool.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Hey I just remembered that the Rotel has HDCD. Anyone know if the Outlaw 950/AT P2000 has it.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The Outlaw Model 950 does not have HDCD, however its Cirrus Logic top-of-the-line 24 bit/192 kHz multibit DAC's supposidly can enhance 44.1 and 48 kHz signals if I'm reading Cirrus Logic's specs. page right. That's pretty much the same as what HDCD decoding does, but with all CDs.

Dan

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Paul not sure if you were aware but Mondial is offering an upgrade to the ACT3 for $900, I believe it has everything you want. Theres a long thread at klipsch.com about act3 upgrades you'll find the info there.

Craig

Legairre

Supporting Actor
How about what the new top of the line Denon 5803 has. An on screen menu that works with the component inputs. Maybe not a "must have", but it sure would be nice not to have to switch input on the TV back to S-Video.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Paul, I saw your post on the Klipsch forum about their upgrade offer for the Act-3. I like you have to consider the Soundstage or the $900 upgrade to the Act-3 as a logical path. For me it's an easy decision. The Mondial/Klipsch offer may be too hard to pass up.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Hi Guys!
Craig,
I discovered (much to my amazement) the thread over on the Klipsch forum after starting this thread.
Darrel,
As you read in my post yesterday @ Klipsch, I'm very likely going to pop for the upgrade program. Makes my upgrade search much easier and keeps me with a product I've really enjoyed. Still want to see the official program and upgrade details, however. We'll see how the next couple of months go, maybe I'll end up springing for the Stage 1.
:D
How 'bout those folks @ Mondial, eh!?
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.