What's new

What's the most bored you've ever been at work. (1 Viewer)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Larry:
Only if you take some of this blinker light fluid I've been trying to sell off my hands.....
:D

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
A few years ago we lost power at my office. It was around 8:15 in the morning and by 8:30 we were told that the power would not be back on until the next morning.

We let the men in the back (manufacturing) go home after discovering just how difficult it would be to work in complete darkness. However, the three of us were informed that we had to stay at the office (we had windows and flashlights) in case any customers called. Explaining that no orders could be shipped without computers or the employees out back filling the orders fell on deaf ears.

After a while we began discussing our golf games. One of the guys was a scratch golfer. He had played for nearly 50 years. I was having problems putting so we decided to work on our putting. To make a long story short, we soon had a six-hole "championship" putt-putt course built in the office. While we didn't have a clowns mouth or a windmill, we had ramps to putt over, tunnels to put through, corners to deflect around, etc. We drug the dry erase board into the hall to use as a score board. We even had a "Skins" game going with $0.50/man/hole! We played for several hours, went to lunch and then played some more!

It went from one of the most boring to one of the most entertaining days I ever spent at the office!

Chuck Parker

Agent
I can only bow to the ingenuity of those who have posted before me. The best I can manage was teaching myself html one semester in college while I was a computer lab assistant, or deep frying whatever we could get our hands on during those summers I drove the carnival french fry wagon.

I can, however, with absolute authority (thanks to an unscientific experiment I participated in during particularly long school bus trip many years ago)report that it takes an average of 212 licks to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop.

-chuck

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
One summer I worked in the supplies department of a large hospital. I typically had my work done by 11 in the morning so the rest of the day was spent devising obstacle courses in the supply room for the electric delivery cart and playing stickball with, ahem, silicone breast implants that had been deemed defective. You really cannot break those suckers.

I better stop posting in this thread as it doesn't reflect well on my work ethic.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
My boss is going on a 3 week vacation next week and I have to be here in case the phone rings (it won't...it never does).
man...with all that free time on your hands, i would have imagined you would have figured out how to have all the phone calls forwarded to your cell phone so you don't have to be inside your actually office building.

kevin t

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
My manager left me in charge of a rust proofing business for the month of May. In Canada rust proofing is busy from just before the snow flies til some time between March and April. Then is dies....I'm talking ghost town dead. I was open six days a week and did one car for the whole month. Answered about 5 phone calls the whole time.
I designed my dream house with a pencil and stack of paper. Then I started teaching myself to juggle. It took a while but in the end I could juggle 3 of anything in the shop. Screwdrivers, hammers, plastic caps, rags (tied up of course), or any combination of goodies.
Now I'm on an assembly line and it requires zero brain power after the first couple of days on a job. I have figures out how to spend any amount of cash(legaly obtained of course:D ) from $1.00 to $3000000.00 down to the last penny.:b

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I used to have to come in on Saturdays to take calls from clients. Well, most clients are closed Saturdays, and the ones that aren't assume that we are.
Lets just say everything I've learned about Home Theater and DIY audio I've learned at work. :)
It's funny, one day I decided I was going to build some speakers and looked up the information on the internet and came home and started building. My wife was amazed and said "where'd you learn this stuff?"
"At work, dear."

AllanN

Supporting Actor
A new low in bordem at work as been reached. I went through my money clip looking for anything I did't need and could throw away. Anyone else board at work?

AOL IM me @ QuackXP

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who works 50 some hours a week, who is under tremendous pressure to produce, produce, produce and does NOT have the luxury to be bored?! :angry:
Bored at work, what a concept...
--
Holadem

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't you use the time to write a book or a screenplay? It seems like a great opportunity to get some work done!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The second most bored I was at work was when I was a sales engineer working for a telecom company division that was in the process of merging with another division. We were going from corporate headquarters for a wholly-owned subdidiary to branch service office of a different subsidiary. Most of us were waiting for our lay-off dates to roll around. Mine, for some reason, was three months after the merger announcement, despite the fact that we were no longer accepting requests for proposals, actively selling anything or doing customer technical summaries or presentation. (All that stuff was being handled by the sales and engineering staffs at the other division.)
I had already written some database programs, first for my own department, then for the rest of the company, so I spent my three months hanging out in the server room and working my way through all the Novell books while pestering the IT guys. Two weeks before my lay-off date I was hired as Assistant IT Manager for a company down the street. :)
The most bored I've ever been at work was at a part-time retail job I had. Business around here is slow for everybody when tourist season is over, but this was really dead. One night I literally did not have one person even walk into the shop between 5 and 10 PM. Other nights I'd make maybe two sales, and have one or two browsers. (Browsers could be good because sometimes they'd be bored and want someone to talk to. Met some interesting people this way.) Luckily it was a bookstore, so I after I straightened, dusted, vacuumed and mopped everything to within an inch of its life, I was able to read. The only downside was there were no chairs in the store - just one in the boss's office out back. Behind the counter we just had an uncomfortable stool. If it weren't for the money I would have much preferred reading at home, in a nice arm chair with coffee or a cold drink only steps away.
Regards,
Joe

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I was once so bored while at a "consulting" gig, that I sat there and stared at my monitor for about 5 or 6 hours straight. No internet, no radio, no nuthin. Just starin' at the monitor.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I watched South Park: The Movie like four times one day. Maybe more. I also watched all of Ken Burns Baseball at work (in 3 days, I think.)
I am (umm.. was...) a software engineer.
I also played baseball with a real bat and a piece of paper for like an hour once in cube land. And played kickball indoors during a long weekend workday. I ditched work and played tennis for 4.5 hrs once (we meant to leave for an hour, buy got carried away...)
Oh, and I threw balsa-wood airplanes around on the roof balcony for awhile one day (they were company provided, dammit!)
Now, if it sounds like I didn't work, keep in mind I was usually working 50-75hr weeks (mostly in the upper half) so this was to keep remotely sane. And while I watched movies at work, I was programming too (SP _is_ a musical, afterall!)
Still, I'm unemployed... :crazy:
(I meant to post this thread when it was new, btw!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks