What's new

What's the most bored you've ever been at work. (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I work as the sole administrative assistant for a physics journal and during the summer months a lot of our authors (who are physics professors) are on vacation (as is my boss) so sometimes during the summer there are days or weeks on end where no work comes in (yet I still get paid - HA!).

One day I was so bored I used the Internet (and even made some calls) to figure out how many "Kraft Singles" would fit in Boeing's Everett hangar (which at least at the time was one of the World's largest building). I've long ago got rid of the figures, but I, with the help of a UW math major, a bored information officer at Boeing, and a bored customer service rep at Kraft figured out how many processed cheese slices it would take to fill Boeing plant. Not satisfied, we figured out how long it would take for it to spoil 100% to the core (it was something like 240 years for the center to finally succumb to mold). We also figured how long it would take a rat to gnaw through to the core (it would actually take a team of rats something like 90 years).

My boss is going on a 3 week vacation next week and I have to be here in case the phone rings (it won't...it never does).

Anyone have an interesting problem that needs to be solved. I'm kind of wondering how much Kraft Macaroni and Cheese would take to fill the Grand Canyon to the top (including how much butter, pepper, and garlic salt I would need to suit my taste..I never put in the cream...okay, my White Trash roots are showing).

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
One of my jobs in college was in the gifts section of the library where I dutifully waited for alumni to croak and bequeath their books to the university for me to inspect and catalog. There were weeks at a time where no goods were coming in so I perfected the art of making elaborate maps of historical battles on the wall using colored push-pins. My Saratoga was a thing of beauty.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
You could always figure out how many cans of Campbell's soup it would take to flood the entire world and turn the Earth into a water planet.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I've got a real stumper of a puzzle for ya! ......
Figure out how many more centuries it will be before the Chicago Cubs win another World Championship!
(That should keep you busy until November 27, 2014.) :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Or........
How many chucks could a woodchuck REALLY chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood??!! :)
Get on this asap, Larry D., will ya? :)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I once tabulated exactly how many roads a man must walk down before you can call him a man.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Aah, Jim, that's easy. It's 42...

Larry, how's about buying a Tootsie Pop and telling us exactly how many licks it takes to get to the center?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
At school (its not work but its my equivalent) I got so bored I tried to program Tic-Tac-Toe into a spreadsheet...suffice to say I never finished.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
What's the most bored i've ever been at work huh? Well let's see, I work from 7am to 3pm 5 days a week, and i'm bored from 7am to 3pm 5 days a week, do the math. :)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I once tabulated exactly how many roads a man must walk down before you can call him a man.
In the same vein, you could always work out how many years some people must exist before they're allowed to be free, or how many times the cannon-balls must fly before they are forever banned, etc.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Larry, figure this out for me.

How many years would it take for the characters of Gilligan's Island to get off the island.

Be sure to include the following factors. Stupidity, weather, tides, luck, boats or planes, rescue efforts, the "we can build a coconut radio, but were too freaking stupid to get off the island", and also other inhabitants on the island.

That should could keep you busy.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
i had a delivery job with an office supple store... when i was bored (which was very often, small town) I would try and build little booby traps out of ink cartridges. they actually worked I figured out a way to make HP cartidges pop in your hand, and get ink all over (ruined a pair of brand new khakis but hey!

YES I HAVE FINALLY REACHED THE RANK OF................................................ ....
..........MACGYVER!

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
oh.... and when I was bored I would go to my friends without telling my boss and smoke mad bowls.. good times that was like 2 years ago

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Larry, I'm sorry to take such delight in your suffering, but damn funny stuff. :D
However, to me, Timon Russo takes the cake:
I got so bored here at work, I watched STEPMOM on my DVD-ROM.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
What was STEPMOM even doing at your work. Although, I confess, I might have it around here somewhere too. It came free when I got my first dvd player. Guarantee you it's still shrink wrapped. :D

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I finished the original WWF Susperstars Arcade game on the mame32 emulator once when I was bored.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
My job and my fun are dependent on the computer, and one day, we completely lost the internet.....early in the day, for the entire day. No HTF, no nothin'.
I thought I'd croak.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Bored at work? I live for those moments!
One night I was so bored ( I worked as a counter manager for a large cosmetics company at one of those ritzy fritzy stores) that I got up ontop of the counter and then onto the top ledge that we would put large visual signs on and grabbed a makeup brush and pretended to be a lounge singer from Vegas. I even gave myself a lounge singer name. I started singing Danke schon at the top of my lungs. The the few customers that were actually in the store gathered round the cosmetics bay and started giving request. I would stop in different parts of the song and say catch phrases to the customers like "who loves you baby?" and "oh ya you're the cats meow" stupid stuff like that and got quite a gathering around me. I finished my "concert" with Frank Sinatra's "My way".To this day I can't go into that store without one of the cosmetics ladies that were there that night giving me a request and begging me to sing Danke Schon for them.
I also get bored at my part time job at night (advance auto parts) so I build things car related like shopping carts equipped with nitrous and dual exhaust..or bring my digi cam to work and take pictures of myself and other co-workers doing stupid things. It's also fun to call other parts stores and ask for things that you know don't exist. I brought my portable DVD player and we put it on the parts counter and watched car related movies like Gone in 60 Seconds.
I love the boredom, I always find something interesting to do. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks