What's new

What's the most appropriate Projector & Screen size configuration .. ? (1 Viewer)

Which option ?

• Option 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2

• Option 3

• Option 4

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Option 5

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Hey all .. So yeah, I have created two previous threads, but its so confusing, I'm creating a third one, since I've also found some issues with projector screen size limitations .. Hopefully this will be my last thread on this topic :D

Room Specs:

So I have two possible projector throw distances: ~21 ft and ~16 ft .. Given the specification of my room, the 16ft option is easier to implement, but a 21ft option can also be done if needed ... Screen ratio is finalized: 16:9 .. So a throw from 16 ft will result in about a 120" diagonal screen maybe, and a throw from 21ft will result in a 145" screen maybe ..

Given some external factors, I will only go for either a 120" screen, or a 145" screen .. nothing in between ..

Viewing distance is anywhere between 16ft and 21ft, but I'm a little unsure if a 120" screen will look small or not from 21ft away .. On the other hand, a 145" screen might look *too* big from just 16ft away ..

Room is almost completely light controlled ..

Rough floor plan of my HT room:

V9x6L.jpg

The dilemma:

The dilemma is between which projector(s) to get, given the options below ..

Originally, I started my search with Epson 5030, but since I wanted great picture quality in both 2D and 3D, a lot of people suggested (and rightly so, I think) that I should go for a 2 projector setup: One for 2D, one for 3D: a JVC RS-46 for 2D, and a second one for 3D (undecided yet) ..

Read reviews on the RS-46, and I decided to go for this 2 projector setup, as the JVC was considered the benchmark for 2D, and idea I loved ..

For the 3D projector, I originally wanted a budget Benq or Optoma, but people said largely that it has washed out colors and crappy contrast .. I was instead suggested Sharp XV-30000, or Optoma HD8300, for the 3D projector ..

The problem is that according to this link, the RS-45/46 doesn't really support a screen bigger than 130", meaning I am limited to a 120" screen if I go for this projector .. Also, I would need a 1.1 or 1.2 Gain screen for this JVC RS-46, even when it's projecting at a 120" screen ..

This creates a problem if I were to get a budget second projector for its 3D, since they all have higher brightness, and they won't work well with a 1.1 or 1.2 gain screen (according to calculators on projectcentral.com) ..

However, the Optoma HD8300 and Sharp XV-30000 are both OK with a 1.1 gain screen (especially the Sharp XV-30000) ..

Lastly, another option is to compromise on possibly both 2D and 3D a little, and get something like Epson 5030 or Sony HW50, both of which have a 'decent' result in both 2D and 3D .. They can both be used with a 120" or 145" screen ...

I CAN afford (barely!) to buy two ~$3000 projectors, but this would indeed burn a **huge** hole in my wallet, something which I didn't plan for when I started my search about a week ago ... :(

----------

Options:

So which option below is most recommended ?:

1) JVC RS-46 + Sharp XV-3000, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$6000
2) JVC RS-46 + Optoma HD8300, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$6200
3) JVC RS-46 + Optoma HD131Xe, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$3700
4) Epson 5030, using a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$2600
5) Sony HW50ES, using a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$4000

------

Took me an hour to type this up :rolleyes:

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Using a second high gain retroreflective screen is a cheap and highly effective solution, 2.8 gain and about $300, but its not practical with your second row of seating. I would go with a 16' throw, the 1.1 gain 120" screen and option #5. BTW the 50 is $4k only direct through Sony, why I have no idea. I wouldnt be surprised if you could find it closer to $3k from an authorized dealer.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
schan1269 said:
If you can scare up that Sony for anything close to $3000, number 1 choice by far.
I don't know, the light output on the Sony is pretty low. He would have to have a totally light controlled blackout room to get the most out of it. My vote still goes to the 5030ub, but I haven't seen any of the two projector combos listed. I have seen the Optoma HD25-LV (related to the HD131xe), and while it is blazing bright, and has great 3D performance, rainbows are still an issue, and the video noise while displaying grainy subject matter was a big negative for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks