What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Doug, that's very helpful and great news that classic Doctor Who is available on Tubi TV, thanks! I'll be buying the released seasons on Blu, but knowing that I could refresh my memories about vintage story-arcs from the original Doctor Who, of whom I am most familiar with the first four Doctors, would be a great thing indeed. I'm way behind in buying the Blu season sets, and currently have three sets on my pending list ( Hartnell S2, Pertwee S3, and the most recent Tom Baker S4).

I've been buying mostly theatrical films on Blu lately, but on the TV front (other than the complete Mayberry RFD that's coming today), I did receive the 2022 CBS/P DVD release of the great old 1973 TV movie Horror at 37,000 Feet, which I remember watching premiere night (Feb. 13, 1973) way back when I was in grade 11. It features a remarkable cast...William Shatner of course (the 'Shat' really hits the fan in this one), Chuck Connors (Big Country, Rifleman, Branded), Buddy Ebsen (Beverly Hillbillies, Barnaby Jones), Roy Thinnes (The Invaders), Russell Johnson (the Professor on Gilligan's Island), Will Hutchens (Sugarfoot), Paul Winfield (Sounder) and familiar face H.M. Wynant (165 credits going back to 1953 and still alive)...and that's just the guys! Our lovelies include British babe Jane Merrow (The Lion in Winter), Brit weirdo Tammy Grimes, Darleen Carr (Streets of San Francisco), Lynn Loring (married to Roy Thinnes at the time), France Nuyen (South Pacific, Star Trek, Joy Luck Club) and Brenda Benet! And the McGuffin is a very cranky demonic spirit trapped in an old 11000 pound altar from a ruined English abbey being imported to America on a Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet!

I want things like this on disc (and it was cheap at $10.99 US, so more guys should just buy it so CBS/P and other labels might give us more great old TV movies of the '60s and '70s on disc!), but last time I checked, it was on YT in an obvious rip of the DVD.

1717864556870.png

1717864418706.png

1717864696062.png

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Alaskans - Bluray complete from Movies Unlimited. Retail as of 06-08-24 is $67.99, 20% off was $58.73 shipped.
Congratulations Doug on your excellent pre-order bargain on the upcoming The Alaskans complete series Blu-ray set! I myself continue to bide my time waiting for Amazon's pre-order to go live, whereupon my flying finger of fate will hit that button so fast that I may sprain my knuckles! Likely the best source for me as a Canadian, considering other vendors shipping costs here.

As for me, I was contemplating buying the CBS/P Bonanza season 12 (1970-71) DVD set next, as I continue to complete this epic series with the new season sets. But I stumbled onto an excellent limited time Amazon Canada price on the 2023 remastered edition of Bonanza season 2 (1960-61, 34 episodes), a nine disc set that DVD Producer Andrew J. Klyde convinced the powers-that-be at CBS/Paramount to newly remaster, and finish releasing the complete series on DVD last year. The original season two volumes released in 2012 were from old tape transfers, likely because that season featured about a dozen episodes that had inexplicably fallen into the Public Domain (a unique circumstance in the long run of this series, and likely a clerical error in renewing rights with fees unpaid at Paramount in 1989 as their original 28 year copyright expired). I'll have this new set by Thursday!

1718080652558.png

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
I've been buying mostly theatrical films on Blu lately, but on the TV front (other than the complete Mayberry RFD that's coming today), I did receive the 2022 CBS/P DVD release of the great old 1973 TV movie Horror at 37,000 Feet, which I remember watching premiere night (Feb. 13, 1973) way back when I was in grade 11. It features a remarkable cast...William Shatner of course (the 'Shat' really hits the fan in this one), Chuck Connors (Big Country, Rifleman, Branded), Buddy Ebsen (Beverly Hillbillies, Barnaby Jones), Roy Thinnes (The Invaders), Russell Johnson (the Professor on Gilligan's Island), Will Hutchens (Sugarfoot), Paul Winfield (Sounder) and familiar face H.M. Wynant (165 credits going back to 1953 and still alive)...and that's just the guys! Our lovelies include British babe Jane Merrow (The Lion in Winter), Brit weirdo Tammy Grimes, Darleen Carr (Streets of San Francisco), Lynn Loring (married to Roy Thinnes at the time), France Nuyen (South Pacific, Star Trek, Joy Luck Club) and Brenda Benet! And the McGuffin is a very cranky demonic spirit trapped in an old 11000 pound altar from a ruined English abbey being imported to America on a Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet!

I want things like this on disc (and it was cheap at $10.99 US, so more guys should just buy it so CBS/P and other labels might give us more great old TV movies of the '60s and '70s on disc!), but last time I checked, it was on YT in an obvious rip of the DVD.

View attachment 223923
View attachment 223921

View attachment 223925

Great pick-up! Nothing like a 70s ensemble TV movie, especially disaster stories. Disaster on the Coastliner is another good one featuring Shatner.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Not much in the TV-on-disc dept from me, lately (still waiting on my Aussie order of The Prisoner Blu-ray set, which got its release delayed by a couple weeks, and the complete Callan on DVD, bundled with it in shipment), but I did get Red Dwarf Season 12 on Blu-ray, cheap ($5.95!), from Hamilton Book:

816VpYIhGOL._SL1500_.jpg

I also ordered this swell DVD compilation of classic color TV commercials from the late 1960s & 1970s, Colorshop: 100+ Vintage TV Ads, Vol. 1, from Amazon. Actually, from 3rd party seller RareWaves, via Amazon. It took a while, though, as it was a domestic (North American) DVD shipped from a UK source:

81zEkeV0NWL._SL1500_.jpg

The DVD was released in 2013, and I'd had my eye on it for a couple of years. I don't think any further volumes were released, as far as I know, which is a pity. I watched all 70 minutes of it the other day, and tonally, it was like being transported to another world, in a good way. It also has an extra; a 1976 film short, intended for the schoolroom, showing kids the deceptive practices used in commercials, especially for the junk food and toy ads seen on Saturday mornings.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
How is the PQ On ColorShop? Are they better than YouTube?
Decent quality, a little soft; the source material varies, but nothing is badly faded.

Here are three ads that are on the DVD that are also on YouTube. In terms of color and condition of the prints, they are identical, so are undoubtedly rips from the DVD--

The main thing the DVD has over YouTube uploads is far less data compression, so the picture quality is better in that regard.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
...but I did get Red Dwarf Season 12 on Blu-ray, cheap ($5.95!), from Hamilton Books:

816VpYIhGOL._SL1500_.jpg

Ooh, great score on that Red Dwarf Series XII set, Peter! A strong season of the show, too (with one notable exception, which I'll let you discover for yourself. ;)) - including some all-time bangers, like "M-Corp" and especially the season-ender, "Skipper."

Just pre-ordered the upcoming The Alaskans complete series (1959-60, 37 episodes) Blu-ray on Amazon. And it was $62.09, a great price for a nine disc set remastered from vault OCNs to a state-of-the-art standard! Awesome!
View attachment 224318

Great minds think alike, Randall! I, too, just pre-ordered a copy of The Alaskans, albeit it through Movies Unlimited. Got a really good price on it too, courtesy of a 20% off coupon and free shipping (big thanks to HTF member Bob Gu for helping me snag this deal!)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I was doing some browsing on Amazon UK and decided to pick up 3 complete series sets courtesy of the much-missed Network. All blind buys that looked potentially interesting. I figured I would try them out now since, being from Network, these could soon disappear or get pricey. Still disappointed that they’re gone.

The Organization (with Donald Sinden)

1718729834583.jpeg

Mitch (with John Thaw)

IMG_0218.jpeg

Mixed Blessings

IMG_0219.jpeg

AlohaTiger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Maybe this is cheating because I didn't actually buy them... but a buddy of mine upgraded to blu ray and I got his DVD cast offs for my collection. Hopefully, I'll find time in the near future to actually watch some of them!

View attachment 224993

Never look a gift horse in the mouth😄
Who came up with that!? What does that even mean? 🤔 —I’m Off to professor Google to learn

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
With my annual physical media purchase now down to an average of 1-2 releases, I'm happy to post my most recent acquisition, just this afternoon, NEW on eBay for $20 bucks.

41gxt26gTZL.jpg

The O. Henry Playhouse: The Complete Series Volume 3

Now I just need to find Volume One which I know I bought day of release back on November of 2021. I must have filed it away incorrectly alphabetically and have been searching for it for days now.
icon_e_dunno.gif

Attachments

• The O. Henry Playhouse_ The Complete Series Volume 2 and 3 _ Brand New _ Vintage _ eBay.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I, too, just pre-ordered a copy of The Alaskans, albeit it through Movies Unlimited. Got a really good price on it too, courtesy of a 20% off coupon and free shipping (big thanks to HTF member Bob Gu for helping me snag this deal!)
Well, due to the release of The Alaskans being pushed back until mid-to-late August by WAC (thus missing my window of availability to receive it when I will be in the States on vacation), I cancelled my Movies Unlimited order and re-ordered the set through Import CDs...mainly because Import CDs' international shipping fees are $6 cheaper.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
The new Flash 90s TV series is the title I bought this week and it’s arrived already. Finally caught Colt 45 in stock at Deep Discount a couple of days ago and nabbed it with one of their 15% off coupon codes. It should be on the way in another day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hebecz
Recent bookmarks