What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Earlier today at the Jockey Lot... the original double-sided all-in-one DVD of Kolchak: The Night Stalker (only $15; had never seen it before, but wanted to see what all the fuss was about, because at least one user here has chronicled the episodes in great detail):

View attachment 223324

View attachment 223325

I had this set then upgraded when they re-released as single-sided about 8 years ago. I think that one is still available for fairly cheap. Either way it's a fun show. Darren McGavin is a hoot as the intrepid reporter who wanders the streets of Chicago late at night. Enjoy it Ben!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A lot of low prices today on amazon. Bonanza The Complete Series at 167.99. Is that a good price??
I'd say it is - 14 seasons makes it $12/season. I've paid ~$20 season for the 9 I own. It's a good enough price that I'm likely to pick it up to complete the series and gift the original 9 season sets I own.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
That is a good price for Bonanza complete series! As I wrote here a few weeks ago, despite already having nine seasons in the original CBS/P DVD releases, and considering even at that point that buying the complete series mega-set might make financial sense, I instead decided to complete Bonanza by gradually buying seasons' 10 through 14 individually. Also as I posted here on the last page, I now have the ViaVision seasons 10 (8 discs) and 11 (7 discs), both of which are more affordable than their North American CBS half-season volumes, and the ViaVision sets (which have the very same stunning CBS transfers) are region-free. I'll soon enough have the CBS season 12-14 sets and the remastered season two set as well. All-in, that makes more sense to me, and I hate those mega packs with over-lapping discs.

I ordered the Mayberry R.F.D. complete series DVD set (three seasons, 78 episodes 1968-71, on 12 discs). This item is now selling at a nice discount, and I got it at an excellent price.
1717452979506.png

The back of this set...
1717453052006.png

I of course have all 8 seasons of The Andy Griffith Show on DVD, keeping an eye on that CBS series Blu-ray complete release with an eye to buying that HD set at the right price. But the DVDs look superb as is.

It will be nice to have Mayberry R.F.D. to go along with the entire mythic Mayberry saga (even though this show was a step down from the parent series, it still has it's merits, and it's pains, as with Howard in a Nehru jacket, ha, ha). And the WB transfers are stunningly gorgeous on DVD.

Mayberry, Mount Pilot and North Carolina here I come again!

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Doctor Who: William Hartnell Complete Season Two - BR
Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee Complete Season Three - BR

I really wish they'd release these with the *actual* season indicated and the actor's season in parenthesis. This has to be one of the most difficult programs to collect all because of using just the actor and *their* season number on releases. I guess I shouldn't gripe too much as they're at least complete seasons. Looking at the earlier DVD releases shows them to be a complete mess.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

I really wish they'd release these with the *actual* season indicated and the actor's season in parenthesis. This has to be one of the most difficult programs to collect all because of using just the actor and *their* season number on releases. I guess I shouldn't gripe too much as they're at least complete seasons. Looking at the earlier DVD releases shows them to be a complete mess.
Wikipedia is your friend, Howie...once you know the number of each Doctor, it's pretty straightforward. It is a rather dumb marketing gimmick that is used with the North American releases, but like you say, it was much more troublesome (and expensive) with the DVD range, which mostly released a story at a time per set.

Speaking of classic Doctor Who, look what came in today's mail! Must be some kind of personal record for me re: speed of international delivery using Amazon...basically two days to get from the U.S. to Japan! Going by the official release day (June 4th), I got this sucker lightning fast. Pretty much the first time for me where a pre-order actually paid off when it came to shipping speed.

PXL_20240606_074835795.MP.jpg

Can't wait to dive in! This is the season where I first became a big fan of the series as a teenager via airings on PBS.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
View attachment 223740

Can't wait to dive in! This is the season where I first became a big fan of the series as a teenager via airings on PBS.
I received mine on Wednesday and dove right in. I was a bit more than a teenager, but this Doctor was also where I became a full fledged fan due to the broadcasts on GPTV.

I watched Arc Of Infinity and was very pleased with the quality of the video. The extras on the disc appear to be ported over from the dvd release, and two brief clips. One is Davison playing a character named Buttons who performs a duet and a short clip of the Doctor dropping in on a kids show. Sorry, I forgot the wonderful "Behind the Sofa". One of the reasons I enjoy the extras so much.

I will be finding time to view this season quickly.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I watched Arc Of Infinity and was very pleased with the quality of the video. The extras on the disc appear to be ported over from the dvd release, and two brief clips. One is Davison playing a character named Buttons who performs a duet and a short clip of the Doctor dropping in on a kids show.

I will be finding time to view this season quickly.
Glad to have a fellow classic Who fan on the boards here, Doug! Just in case you were unaware, there is a 75-minute documentary ("Let's Go Dutch") on Disc 9 of the set, that brings Davison and his companions back to Amsterdam (where parts of "Arc of Infinity" were filmed) to reminisce about S20 overall and that first story in particular.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Wikipedia is your friend, Howie...once you know the number of each Doctor, it's pretty straightforward. It is a rather dumb marketing gimmick that is used with the North American releases, but like you say, it was much more troublesome (and expensive) with the DVD range, which mostly released a story at a time per set.

Speaking of classic Doctor Who, look what came in today's mail! Must be some kind of personal record for me re: speed of international delivery using Amazon...basically two days to get from the U.S. to Japan! Going by the official release day (June 4th), I got this sucker lightning fast. Pretty much the first time for me where a pre-order actually paid off when it came to shipping speed.

View attachment 223740

I discovered that Wikepedia article a couple of years back - it's my "go to" for the series sequencing. Without it I don't know that I'd have even tried collecting the pre "New Who" material. It also helps me keep it in proper order on the shelf. I also use this one for easier identifying the order of the Doctors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

I'm likely to crack open that Hartwell season fairly quickly as it's very early Doctor Who from an era of BBC TV production that I'm not so fond of. Basically due to their production techniques of the era. I'm quite curious to see if it exhibits what I dislike about early BBC TV.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I can understand that, but the advantage to doing it this way is that it's easier for people who don't want all of the Doctors. I've been getting some of these sets for my wife (I'm not a fan of Who Classic), and she likes the first five Doctors, but has no interest in Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy. Makes it easier for me to know what to ignore off the bat.

In one of the notepad apps on my phone, I keep a list of the first five Doctors and the seasons for each, and note which ones we already have. So when I find myself in a Barnes & Noble, I look to see which ones they have, which ones my wife still needs, and pick up any that are decently discounted.

Easy peasy.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I can understand that, but the advantage to doing it this way is that it's easier for people who don't want all of the Doctors. I've been getting some of these sets for my wife (I'm not a fan of Who Classic), and she likes the first five Doctors, but has no interest in Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy. Makes it easier for me to know what to ignore off the bat.

In one of the notepad apps on my phone, I keep a list of the first five Doctors and the seasons for each, and note which ones we already have. So when I find myself in a Barnes & Noble, I look to see which ones they have, which ones my wife still needs, and pick up any that are decently discounted.

Easy peasy.
Your wife has good taste, Jay - the first five Doctors are by far the best (and I'm counting the Nu Who peeps, too).

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I haven't watched any of the classic Doctors at all (outside of brief excerpt footages and such)...

Not sure I really should try as that might open a whole can of worms if I end up liking any of them enough... and I have enough cans of worms in this hobby as is, LOL...

Maybe if they're sold very cheaply on HD digital perhaps, but probably don't wanna collect them on discs...

Are any of the better/best ones perpetually on (major) subscription streaming like Netflix?

I seem to recall some (along w/ the revival ones of the last couple decades, except the very latest) might've been on (HBO) Max in the past, but maybe not anymore(?)... not that I care to pay WBD's high prices for Max...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hebecz
Recent bookmarks