What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Incredible Hulk - Complete Series BR. I wasn't much of a fan during its original airings (I thought it was quite cheesy) and haven't seen it since. The price was right so I ordered a copy just to see what I think today.
Well worth it. It is a bit cheesy, but very enjoyable IMO. I still think the episode 'The Snare' from season three (written by Richard Matheson) is one of the best hours of TV I've ever experienced. A very cool take on 'The Most Dangerous Game'. But there are so many great episodes throughout the series. It may be the best "Fugitive" mold of TV series since"The Fugitive"

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well worth it. It is a bit cheesy, but very enjoyable IMO. I still think the episode 'The Snare' from season three (written by Richard Matheson) is one of the best hours of TV I've ever experienced. A very cool take on 'The Most Dangerous Game'. But there are so many great episodes throughout the series. It may be the best "Fugitive" mold of TV series since"The Fugitive"
That description doesn't help as I'm not a huge fan of The Fugitive. It's "OK" but just OK. I've seen it and will likely never revisit the series. (Sorry @Carabimero - I tried and, while it's generally very well done, it's just not my thing.)

I'm also quite cool on versions of "The Most Dangerous Game" made after the 1932 film. But that goes with just about *any* "classic" story a TV series writer thinks can be made into a decent episode - most fail and I'm quite unforgiving of such attempts to directly recycle stories.

It's like when the writer(s) of a TV series come up with the "brilliant" idea to tell yet another version of "A Christmas Carol." As soon as I see it coming, I'm 100% out as I know the story very well and you're very unlikely to tell a adequate, much less a better, version in the short span of a TV series episode. It takes me many viewings of theatrical efforts of such story recycling before I *might* come to accept a "different" take. Most of the time I just don't bother.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That description doesn't help as I'm not a huge fan of The Fugitive. It's "OK" but just OK. I've seen it and will likely never revisit the series. (Sorry @Carabimero - I tried and, while it's generally very well done, it's just not my thing.)

I'm also quite cool on versions of "The Most Dangerous Game" made after the 1932 film. But that goes with just about *any* "classic" story a TV series writer thinks can be made into a decent episode - most fail and I'm quite unforgiving of such attempts to directly recycle stories.

It's like when the writer(s) of a TV series come up with the "brilliant" idea to tell yet another version of "A Christmas Carol." As soon as I see it coming, I'm 100% out as I know the story very well and you're very unlikely to tell a adequate, much less a better, version in the short span of a TV series episode. It takes me many viewings of theatrical efforts of such story recycling before I *might* come to accept a "different" take. Most of the time I just don't bother.
In most cases I agree with the repurposing of classic books/movies but being the brilliant writer Richard Matheson was I gave that episode my full attention, and was not disappointed. Regarding the Incredible Hulk on Blu-Ray going by your older impression of the show, and dislike of 'The Fugitive formula. I honestly think you wasted your money on this series and will find no redeeming qualities.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I just got Primal: Season 2 on Blu-ray.

If you like Conan the Barbarian, One Million Years BC, Marvel's Devil Dinosaur, Fire & Ice, Tarzan... you really need to check this series out; it's like a brilliant mash-up of all of these, with masterful animation, direction/storytelling and incredible background art. Truly one of the greatest animated series ever made, and quite possibly the best non-anime dramatic animated TV series ever, even edging out my longtime fave, Jonny Quest (the 1964-65 original).

71ZO76-ZAML._SL1500_.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet S11 and S12
Simon & Simon S2
Flipper S2 (I confess, mostly for the recurring role played by the lovely Ulla Stromstedt...I blame Randall for this one, ha ha! ;) )
All great stuff, Jeff! And I'm glad I've gotten you to spend more money on stuff I already like! You've put me out for hundreds$ buying up stuff that you've sung the praise of, ha, ha! And I'm grateful for that my friend!

Ulla, sweet Ulla...read more about her (or at least just look at the pictures)...

1685534377482.png

Somehow, a girl like that and an article on impotency just don't go together, ha, ha! A girl like that is the cure!

1685534948265.png

And the dolphin is cute and lovable too! I still need to get the final season three.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
About Network: if true, this is horrible news! I just tried networkonair. com and found 'account suspended'...

I too want to cry, or puke, or both...

Terribly ironic, as just today I received the 6 disc set Callan: The Color Years, from their most recent sale...and I also received many Blu-ray movies and Blu TV box sets from their previous two HD 35 sales. I think I had a dozen orders from them just over the past year! But I had yet to order any of the Danziger Bros. TV series available on both formats. And I still wanted titles from their back catalogue films and TV. And I wanted to get the new Blu of The Baron remastered Euro telefilms. I'm now glad that I ramped-up my buying from them tremendously in the last year, getting most of what I really desired already.

So sorry for the good folks at Network, and for their founders! They likely held it together as long as they could, but the current global economic situation for non-essential discretionary spending by disc collectors is brutal in this time of high inflation and interest rates.

Especially sorry for our Brit TV aficionado Jeff Flugel, whose deep knowledge and passion for Network's vintage Brit shows encouraged me in discovering many lesser-known TV series from the old sod...

But I expect once the determination of their banks and creditors either orders a bankruptcy or continued liquidation of stock, that those that still have catalogue 'wants' will find a way to get them.

But the future planned and hoped-for releases will sadly never happen. Damn dirty shame!

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Even though I have many of their releases on my shelf already, given the sudden bad news about Network, I decided to strike while the iron is hot, and ordered some of their other titles (from a trusted vendor) that I had put off for far too long.

1.) The Champions: Complete Series (DVD)
2.) The Cheaters: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
3.) The Frighteners: Complete Series (DVD)
4.) Mystery & Imagination: Complete Remaining Episodes (DVD)
5.) Orson Welles Great Mysteries, Vol. 1 (DVD)
6.) Orson Welles Great Mysteries, Vol. 2 (DVD)
7.) Shadows of Fear: Complete Series (DVD)
8.) The Sandbaggers: Complete Series (DVD)

71DxXNjcM+L._SL1219_.jpg

61ZPP1sEcHL._AC_SL1180_.jpg

71Vj9nx0-uL._AC_SL1336_.jpg

712vg5+XZBL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

61Y6LTzyMoL._AC_SL1180_.jpg

61bPb7tPtjL._AC_SL1180_.jpg

91Iuj0N8QcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71mCNyCqRLL._AC_SL1338_.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Even though I have many of their releases on my shelf already, given the sudden bad news about Network, I decided to strike while the iron is hot, and ordered some of their other titles (from a trusted vendor) that I had put off for far too long.

Smart man, Peter! Like Randall, I have most of what I really want from Network already, but there are a few odds and ends that I should try and snag before scarcity makes prices for their remaining stock held by other vendors hit the roof.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
About Network: if true, this is horrible news! I just tried networkonair. com and found 'account suspended'...

I too want to cry, or puke, or both...

Terribly ironic, as just today I received the 6 disc set Callan: The Color Years, from their most recent sale...and I also received many Blu-ray movies and Blu TV box sets from their previous two HD 35 sales. I think I had a dozen orders from them just over the past year! But I had yet to order any of the Danziger Bros. TV series available on both formats. And I still wanted titles from their back catalogue films and TV. And I wanted to get the new Blu of The Baron remastered Euro telefilms. I'm now glad that I ramped-up my buying from them tremendously in the last year, getting most of what I really desired already.

So sorry for the good folks at Network, and for their founders! They likely held it together as long as they could, but the current global economic situation for non-essential discretionary spending by disc collectors is brutal in this time of high inflation and interest rates.

Especially sorry for our Brit TV aficionado Jeff Flugel, whose deep knowledge and passion for Network's vintage Brit shows encouraged me in discovering many lesser-known TV series from the old sod...

But I expect once the determination of their banks and creditors either orders a bankruptcy or continued liquidation of stock, that those that still have catalogue 'wants' will find a way to get them.

But the future planned and hoped-for releases will sadly never happen. Damn dirty shame!

Too bad, they haven't released the Blu-Ray edition of Danger Man, the long hours series.
I will order one more Blu-Ray title from a vendor: Randall & Hopkirk Deceased.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I loved their releases last year of the creaky, archaic Saber of London and was looking forward to future volumes. Not to mention all the great stuff they have released over the years. What a bummer.
I agree Glenn, it was a major surprise when Network liberated the Danziger Bros. TV series on disc, even more so when they offered some of them on Blu also. But I was too busy mining Network's back catalogue to finally get around to ordering them as yet...now like other members here, I will have to pursue them via dealers. I only hope that Technicolor in Rugby has sufficient supply of Network titles that the receiver as agent will continue to liquidate for some time to come.
Too bad, they haven't released the Blu-Ray edition of Danger Man, the long hours series.
I will order one more Blu-Ray title from a vendor: Randall & Hopkirk Deceased.
True John, that much hoped for complete series Blu of Danger Man will likely never happen. Thank God that the existing DVDs are so sharp, pretty much state-of-the-art PQ. IMO.
Since the closing of Network, I just ordered the complete Randall & Hopkirk Deceased on Blu-Ray.
It’s an unusual series with an original premise that mixes detective stories with humour and the supernatural.
It’s also a good buddy series.
I'm sure you'll love it! I got the complete series Blu of Randall & Hopkirk: Deceased a few months ago in the 6 single Blu volumes (no slipcase, but that's OK) from Network during a HD 35% off sale, and that delightful series looks spectacular!

Wow, Peter, great move! Several of your new buys are still on my want list. I have two trusted third-party vendors of Network titles that I've been happy to use in past years, before I started ordering direct from Network, and I will use them going forward.
Smart man, Peter! Like Randall, I have most of what I really want from Network already, but there are a few odds and ends that I should try and snag before scarcity makes prices for their remaining stock held by other vendors hit the roof.
Jeff, good to hear that! I couldn't help but think of you when this dreadful news broke! Your own Network collection must be enormous, in all genres and eras! I can't believe that a more loyal Network fan could exceed your own devotion! I believe your last buy was the new The Baron Euro film collection? As I said, my Callan: The Colour Years 6 DVD set just arrived in the mail with this rotten news. And I had two other rather big HD orders recently from them.

Unless Network re-emerges under bankruptcy trusteeship in a corporate reorganization under UK law (likely with new investors if any would do it out of love for vintage Brit TV and film), we'll have to rely on trusted dealers...my two reliable and favorite dealers for Network and other Brit labels are Amazon Marketplace dealers Rarewaves and Chalky's.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I have about two dozen Network releases (film and TV), from orders I placed over the last four years. I stopped ordering from them early in the pandemic, as I had pretty much stopped ordering from outside the US because doing so was becoming increasingly problematic. Even as things got better, priorities kept me from getting back into it as a regular thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks