What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yeah, when I picked up the Complete Series set, I was tempted to trade in the original random collections, but decided to keep them for some of the odd special features (ad spots, bumpers, and station ID breaks). Of course, those were just included in the 3-disc/12-episode sets, and not the 1-disc/4-episode releases, but I decided to keep them all anyway. I'm glad I did.
I'm glad I also kept my original Image Naked City sets, for the same reasons as yourself in the three 12 episode 'Box sets one, two and three' where all of those 36 episodes include the bumpers, with network commercials as a bonus feature. And I also have the six single disc releases with 4 episodes each, although without the bumpers. All of those 60 episodes were brilliantly remastered from the Sony film vaults. I also have the later RLJ complete series set (which I got for $25 on Amazon as a result of price match flub with Walmart that a lot of HTF members were alerted to by one of our helpful members). Imagine my surprise when I discovered that SOME episodes in that 2011 complete series set featured transfers from entirely different and inferior film sources. For instance, I found that the premiere hour episode A Death of Princes was darker and had a noticeable film splice! An inferior presentation compared to the original Image release in 2002. I posted comparative screen caps in the Route 66 thread some time ago. If memory serves, it was also 6 seconds shorter but had the original Screen Gems closing logo, and not the 'Columbia Pictures Television, a unit of the Coca Cola Company' that the old 1980s transfers for too many episodes have.

In a bid to finally complete my Quinn Martin TV collection with everything ever released on DVD from studio or licensed companies, I finally ordered the CBS MOD of Most Wanted (23 hour episodes, 1976-77).
1663683571131.png

1663683711198.png

1663683756445.png

1663684009270.png

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
When Roxbury first released their second volume of season one with that season's latter 16 episodes, all of the episodes were derived from pristine 35mm source new transfers...but some knucklehead formatted them in faux widescreen! I don't know if Roxbury ever released a corrected 4:3 set...
They did. They rereleased the second half in the complete first season box set in 4:3. I had the original and replaced it when they made the upgrade. If anyone sees the Roxbury complete season box set, it should have the correct aspect ratio.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If memory serves, it was also 6 seconds shorter but had the original Screen Gems closing logo, and not the 'Columbia Pictures Television, a unit of the Coca Cola Company' that the old 1980s transfers for too many episodes have.

I think also that I may have noted that some of the episodes in Roxbury's volume releases of the first go had the later version w/Columbia Pictures Entertainment byline.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
They did. They rereleased the second half in the complete first season box set in 4:3. I had the original and replaced it when they made the upgrade. If anyone sees the Roxbury complete season box set, it should have the correct aspect ratio.
Thanks Scott for that confirmation. I just ordered a used copy of Roxbury/Infinity's all-in-one complete season 1 of Route 66, in the long-shot chance that SOME episodes might look somewhat better than what I already have with the original split volumes and the Shout release that only used 6 discs for the 32 episodes (loading 6 episode on two discs). To my knowledge, Roxbury never offered a replacement program for the botched volume two.
Shout! has rereleased a lot of OOP shows but none have been this cheap! $15!

View attachment 154918
Wow! That's as great a deal as Doug's complete F-Troop, for about the same number of discs and episodes. Both enjoyable shows that look great on DVD. When I think back to the 1980s when I started collecting these shows on film and VHS tape trading, I prefer not to think about how much I spent on just these two shows!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks Scott for that confirmation. I just ordered a used copy of Roxbury/Infinity's all-in-one complete season 1 of Route 66, in the long-shot chance that SOME episodes might look somewhat better than what I already have with the original split volumes and the Shout release that only used 6 discs for the 32 episodes (loading 6 episode on two discs). To my knowledge, Roxbury never offered a replacement program for the botched volume two.
Me three. For $15 bucks I'll take it and not 50% fake widescreen!
Mine is in transit somewhere in Knoxville TN. Thanks Scott!!

Route 66 The Complete First Season Roxbury-1!.jpg
Route 66 The Complete First Season Roxbury!-2.jpg

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I have Roxbury season 3 headed my way with Shout's 4th season to complete the set. A series that dropped off my radar until your essential photo essays got my interest back.
Thank you Scott, thank you. I really appreciate that you like my photo essays, you really like my photo essays ...

I received the Roxbury Route 66 Complete Season One on Saturday. I ripped all of Volume Two and the respective Shout episodes. I'm currently comparing each side by side. As you said it is a corrected 4:3 aspect ratio as it should be.
icon_e_thumbsup.gif

In all seriousness as you know I put a great deal of work into all my essays and I genuinely appreciate that you've taken notice of them and that you've chosen to take some of your Voyages on land traveling with Tod Buz and Linc too.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Purchased on eBay for $15 bucks.
The Littlest Hobo TV Series: Collection Vol. 1

Purchased Friday night on eBay for $4 bucks. Arrives today.
Roy Rogers - Springtime in the Sierras (Restored in Original Color)

I really like that Littlest Hobo . i used to have the 60’s series with the 50’s movie it started from . i‘m not a fan of the 70’s /80’s Canadian- Shot -On - Tape Version . The Later 70’s /early 80’s series is pretty popular tho.
the show was like Route 66 but with Dog

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Purchased Friday night on eBay for $4 bucks. Arrives today.
Roy Rogers - Springtime in the Sierras (Restored in Original Color)

Trivia Question: Did anyone here wonder why I would order a Roy Rogers feature film? I assure you I had a good reason. It arrived about 20 minutes ago. Just wanted to see who the smart guy is here.
icon_e_blabbering.gif

I really like that Littlest Hobo . i used to have the 60’s series with the 50’s movie it started from . i‘m not a fan of the 70’s /80’s Canadian- Shot -On - Tape Version . The Later 70’s /early 80’s series is pretty popular tho. the show was like like Route 66 but with Dog.
I see you got the lone thumbs up from the guy in Canada, our in-house TV Historian, Randall.
Route 66 but with a Dog huh? Do you or anyone have any idea why the entire second season was never released? Just wondering if there's a back story to that.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I see you got the lone thumbs up from the guy in Canada, our in-house TV Historian, Randall.
Route 66 but with a Dog huh? Do you or anyone have any idea why the entire second season was never released? Just wondering if there's a back story to that.
i don’t know . sales probably. its still on YT so you can see both versions
You're misunderstanding me. The Littlest Hobo (1963-1965) tv series ran two seasons. The second season has never been released on home video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks