What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Don't dally about watching your VttBotS set - those discs have been known to have issues (DS/DD - horrible things - I have one disc that's failing on that set, freezing/jumping on at least 1 episode).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Only in the UK (R2 discs so you'd need to be region free on DVD at the least). The US releases are all on DVD-18s (DS/DD discs - though possibly DVD-14s which are DS with DD on one side and SD on the flip) - bummer... Just *one* of the reasons many of us are wishing for a BR release for the series.

The problem is, it's Fox - now owned by Disney - and unlikely to ever get a rerelease of any type, SS DVD *or* BR.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Only in the UK (R2 discs so you'd need to be region free on DVD at the least).

I recently purchased a new DVD player from Amazon that's small-size (should fit beside the PS3 in my room; that's where I intend to put it), and apparently region-free (if it is indeed, then I might get that R2 British all-in-one).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I recently purchased a new DVD player from Amazon that's small-size (should fit beside the PS3 in my room; that's where I intend to put it), and apparently region-free (if it is indeed, then I might get that R2 British all-in-one).

I've been looking at it myself. I've only hesitated as it originated as NTSC and is likely PAL on those sets which could play back a bit faster - converted from 60hz to 50hz and now back? Would they play properly having been "slowed" for that conversion? I don't know for sure as I've never purchased any NTSC originating material on R2 DVDs and don't recall ever reading anything about such conversions.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have a number of DVDs that have the PAL speed up. What's funny is that some of these shows have been pitch corrected so they sound closer to what they're supposed to sound like.

I also have the Network blurays of Super Space Theater, which have the Space:1999 compilation films. One of them is pitched way down so now everyone's voice is too deep.

Just be careful, it's a no name brand. I tend to shy away from these.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet seasons one (1952-53) and two (1953-54) from MPI via Amazon. Great price point on these (78 episodes looking better than ever before!) and received at warp speed only 36 hours after they shipped from the States. I've never received a parcel that fast before! Looking forward to buying seasons three and four in July, and ultimately the whole series in these beautiful MPI sets!
1656486158404.png

1656488609207.png

The F.B.I. final season nine (1973-74) from Warner Archive via Amazon Marketplace dealer. The series' final 23 episodes in this long running QM-WB coproduction, Quinn Martin's longest running series! It took a long time (and a lot of $) to complete this series on DVD in my collection. As a series not available for streaming on any platform currently, you can only see it on the pricey Warner Archive DVD sets!
1656486739375.png

1656488502758.png
1656489286125.png

Harry O season one (1974-75) from Warner Archive via Amazon Marketplace dealer. 22 episodes plus first pilot telefilm from 1973, Such Dust as Dreams are Made On.... I previously purchased season two (1975-76), so this completes another series in my collection, although I still have to buy the second (1974) pilot TV movie Smile Jenny You're Dead, available separately (naturally) on a single disc DVD from WAC. Not many TV series received the luxury of TWO pilots before they sold, Star Trek being first among them in history. Harry O is yet another Warner owned show not available for streaming anywhere currently.
1656488233135.png

1656488397676.png

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I may have lost my mind (already have too much to watch now), but I just pulled the trigger on VEI's complete series of Barnaby Jones. A great price on Amazon that I couldn't overlook, $69.99 Canadian, approx. $56 U.S. --- This is for the 45 disc version in the bigger box, all 8 seasons in separate season cases, (1973-80) and 179 episodes...God help me! VEI also has this available in a cheaper 30 disc set ($20 cheaper). But considering the inherent problematic sources for seasons two to eight (older Viacom syndication transfers, most edited also), I was holding out hope of getting the 45 disc set in view to perhaps avoiding any compression issues that might be present. But I really don`t know if it will make a difference in the end. For those who may be unaware, only the 13 episode first season received the superlative remastering by CBS for their own release way back in 2008 or so. VEI had access to those for their subsequent DVD releases, but had to take-it-or-leave-it with the 1980s Viacom syndication transfers for the rest of the run. Our member Jeff Flugel (and others?) have helpfully reported that almost half of the second season episodes are thankfully unedited. But for the rest of the series, the great majority are cut approx. 3:30 to 4 minutes overall, often missing the famous QM 'Epilogue' and thus ending abruptly.
1656925064064.png

1656925497972.png

The Rifleman season 5 volume 1 (1962-63), the first half of the final season. Just one more volume to get before I complete this series (for the last time!) in my collection.
1656925630169.png

1656925784939.png

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I may have lost my mind (already have too much to watch now), but I just pulled the trigger on VEI's complete series of Barnaby Jones.
Nice! Hope that your wish for better compression on the 45 disc version comes true, Randall! I think the number of Barnaby Jones S2 episodes that are unedited is 11, resulting in almost half the season (of 24) being uncut. Judging from what I've found on YouTube, the following episodes are complete:

2.2 "Death Leap"
2.6 "Catch Me If You Can"
2.7 "Divorce - Murderer's Style"
2.10 "Black Art of Dying"
2.12 "Fatal Flight"
2.13 "Secret of the Dunes"
2.15 "The Deadly Jinx"
2.16 "Platinum Collection"
2.18 "A Gold Record for Murder"
2.23 "Image in a Cracked Mirror"
2.24 "Foul Play"

Sadly, from what I've read on the forum, for the rest of the seasons (3-8), pretty much everything on the DVDs is the cut, syndicated versions...the few exceptions being some two-parters, and at least one crossover episode with Cannon (The Barnaby Jones S4 opener, "The Deadly Conspiracy, Part 2"), both of which should still be available on YT.

The Rifleman season 5 volume 1 (1962-63), the first half of the final season. Just one more volume to get before I complete this series (for the last time!) in my collection.
Good to see you edging closer to completing another series, Randall! I'm pretty content with having just the first two seasons of The Rifleman (prefer the younger Johnny Crawford, when Mark's namby-pambiness is still somewhat cute) but I may pick up more seasons some day.

Placed a small order of my own, which included (along with the Blu-Ray of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm):

The Lucy Show S1

917H1bZKZ6L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Gomer Pyle, USMC S3

51woTrnwtNL._SY445_.jpg

I'll also be pre-ordering The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet S3 and S4 later this month.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Nice! Hope that your wish for better compression on the 45 disc version comes true, Randall! I think the number of Barnaby Jones S2 episodes that are unedited is 11, resulting in almost half the season (of 24) being uncut. Judging from what I've found on YouTube, the following episodes are complete:

2.2 "Death Leap"
2.6 "Catch Me If You Can"
2.7 "Divorce - Murderer's Style"
2.10 "Black Art of Dying"
2.12 "Fatal Flight"
2.13 "Secret of the Dunes"
2.15 "The Deadly Jinx"
2.16 "Platinum Collection"
2.18 "A Gold Record for Murder"
2.23 "Image in a Cracked Mirror"
2.24 "Foul Play"

Sadly, from what I've read on the forum, for the rest of the seasons (3-8), pretty much everything on the DVDs is the cut, syndicated versions...the few exceptions being some two-parters, and at least one crossover episode with Cannon (The Barnaby Jones S4 opener, "The Deadly Conspiracy, Part 2"), both of which should still be available on YT.

The picture quality on the cut/syndie Barnaby Jones outings-- is it the same as was on quite a few third-season episodes (and all of the fourth and fifth gos) of Emergency! as presented on Universal's all-in-one DVD of that 70s NBC medical/action series (albeit the Emergency! outings were otherwise uncut)?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The picture quality on the cut/syndie Barnaby Jones outings-- is it the same as was on quite a few third-season episodes (and all of the fourth and fifth gos) of Emergency! as presented on Universal's all-in-one DVD of that 70s NBC medical/action series (albeit the Emergency! outings were otherwise uncut)?
Don't know, Ben, sorry...I've only seen some S1 Emergency! episodes. From what I've seen of Barnaby Jones S2, they are about on a par with, or a little bit better than, Cannon, transfer-wise. However, the aforementioned S4 crossover episode ("The Deadly Conspiracy, Part 2" looks better, almost up there with the very nicely remastered S1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks