What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Got in just under the wire with Network UK's 35% off sale. Wanted more (oh, there's so much more, both TV and Theatrical Films!), but I just splurged on Kino-Lorber's recent sale, Warner Archive and Paramount Select back-catalogue on Amazon and a pricey new Powerhouse/Indicator limited edition Blu from Amazon UK! Poor now!

Got hit with Network's 30 pounds shipping however...I've wanted these Blu-ray complete series (and others) for some time now...

Department S complete series...9.75 pounds

Man in a Suitcase complete series...23.83 pounds

Total including shipping---63.58 pounds.

1654576296692.png

1654576401636.png

Our Canadian dollar is thankfully pretty strong against the pound sterling these days.

Thanks to Jeff Flugel, our resident British TV Aficionado!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Got in just under the wire with Network UK's 35% off sale. Wanted more (oh, there's so much more, both TV and Theatrical Films!), but I just splurged on Kino-Lorber's recent sale, Warner Archive and Paramount Select back-catalogue on Amazon and a pricey new Powerhouse/Indicator limited edition Blu from Amazon UK! Poor now!

Got hit with Network's 30 pounds shipping however...I've wanted these Blu-ray complete series (and others) for some time now...

Our Canadian dollar is thankfully pretty strong against the pound sterling these days.

Thanks to Jeff Flugel, our resident British TV Aficionado!
I'll loan you some money in exchange for commentaries for my photo essay's.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Two great tastes that taste great together! Sorry for putting you in the poorhouse, Randall, with my notifying you of Network's sale (and sorry you got hit with the large shipping charge...was it the same for only one set? I usually separate orders to save on cost, if at all possible).

Despite it resulting in beans 'n' franks time, I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of both of those terrific ITC series, and they look stunning in HD! That price for the Department S Complete Series is just about the deal of the year.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Great show! Just watched the TV movie The Priest Killer which was an Ironside backdoor pilot for the show Sarge starring George Kennedy.
Sarge is an odd show, or at least the first episode is anyway. Despite being the star, Kennedy's character is sort of in the background. Various people come to him for advice, but he is offscreen for most of the action.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Sarge is an odd show, or at least the first episode is anyway. Despite being the star, Kennedy's character is sort of in the background. Various people come to him for advice, but he is offscreen for most of the action.
I'd never heard of it. He was pretty good in the Priest Killer though, similar role to what you describe. Which is saying something considering the dominating on screen personality of Chief Ironside.

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
How does Simon and Simon Season 8 compare to the early seasons? Much more serious?
I watched parts of the first season eight episode Beauty and Deceased and as far as I can tell, it seems like the same jovial atmosphere as the early seasons. However, the episodes in season seven do seem to have a little more edge to them. Maybe they dialed it back a bit for the final season. I'm going to watch a full season 7 episode later this week.

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I watched parts of the first season eight episode Beauty and Deceased and as far as I can tell, it seems like the same jovial atmosphere as the early seasons. However, the episodes in season seven do seem to have a little more edge to them. Maybe they dialed it back a bit for the final season. I'm going to watch a full season 7 episode later this week.
Thanks for the insight. Many shows got steadily more serious post-Miami Vice, so I wasn't sure what the case was with Simon and Simon. Good to hear they stuck to their original style. I guess I should get all season then.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I Cannot stand discs overlapping each other. Also, you should be able to turn the holders like pages in a book and the plastic isn't designed for that

This overlapping/stacked discs packaging of the giant Paramount/ViacomCBS sets was offputting at first.

The way I found around this annoyance, was to keep around 15-20 two-disc bluray cases which I take the discs out of a CBS 24+ discs case and put into these two-disc cases temporarily. (Such as when I'm ripping the discs to the computer). These discs go back to the giant 24+ discs case once I am done with them.

For that matter, the times I went to the nearby wallyworld (or bb) to buy new dvds, I usually brought these 15-20 two-disc bluray cases with me (kept in the trunk of my car). That way whenever I buy new large dvd (or bluray) sets, I can take a look at the discs before I drive home, to see if there's any significant physical damage in a giant dvd set (such as in those 24-36+ discs sets).

Easy to just walk back to the store's customer service desk and ask for an exchange, if a giant 24+ discs set has any significantly damaged discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks