What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ Thanks for that! One of my favorite things for the first group of episodes on Dark Shadows DVDs is the actors coming out and doing that. For most that was the first time you see them SMILE! lol I don't think David, Louis or Joan smiled one time in that first year! lol

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
It would be extremely helpful if you guys would include product links from where you purchased an item and/or IMDb links so those unfamiliar with a specific show could easily read more about it. For example when Albert wrote above "Flying Circus" on PBS, I had no idea what he was referring to as I've never been a fan of Monty Python. Just a suggestion.

My latest purchase today after Ron pointed out TimeLife's Cyber Monday super 10% off discount (that's promo code TTACAIAS), Tighter Than a Camel's Ass in a Sandstorm! :)

Product Image

The Abbott And Costello Show: Season 1
851968007729 Blu-ray
Release date: 12/14/2021

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Ed Sullivan Show, 3 complete episodes derived from high quality Kinescopes on 2 DVDs featuring Elvis Presley (from Sept. and Oct. 1956, and Jan. 1957) with bonus features from the Presley estate...Carol Burnett, Charles Laughton, Sugar Ray Robinson, Senor Wences and others also appear in these complete and uncut episodes with network commercials...

Tales of Wells Fargo, Best of the Final Season in Color, 6 DVD Timeless set first released in 2009. This is the final (1961-62) one hour color season of the Dale Robertson Western. 22 episodes of the 34 produced that season. Universal must have "misplaced" the rest, or worse yet, perhaps the infamous vault fire? Hoo-boy...nevertheless, good ol' TMG did their best...

Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer: The Complete Series, the first (and best) of the three distinct Mike Hammer series starring Stacy Keach from 1983-85, including two pilot telefilms on 8 DVDs. Stacy Keach was an excellent Hammer, presented here as a 1940s Noir era gumshoe anachronism transplanted to the 1980s...Released by Australia's ViaVision almost unnoticed on July 30 of this year...the 2 pilot telefilms were previously released on DVD, but this is the first time for the series' 24 episodes themselves...reportedly, this is a Region 4 set, but maybe not, as a lot of what ViaVision puts out is region free...I'll report back when I get my filthy paws on this...

The history of Stacy Keach's three series often confuses fans (IMDB is confused too), as each had a slightly different series' title. The first series of 24 episodes was prematurely ended by Stacy Keach's knucklehead arrest for Cocaine possession on arrival in the UK in 1985. After sorting that out, he came back in 1986 with another TV movie which launched another series in 1987 with 22 episodes of The New Mike Hammer...bereft of the low-cut cleavage on Lindsay Bloom's 'Velda', Donna Denton's 'The Face', Lee Benton's 'Jenny' and the many babes featured here and much of the unashamed 1940s and 1950s sexism that fans of the original loved so much (including me!) The New Mike Hammer is also available on DVD. And then there is the 1997 re-boot, Mike Hammer, Private Eye, 26 eps., which is OOP on DVD and going for insane asking prices...Stacy Keach is still very active as an actor today...

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Night Court - Season 5 (Target B2G1 sale)
Doctor Who - Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two BR (Deepdiscount BF sale)
Doctor Who - Sylvester McCoy: Complete Season Three BR (Deepdiscount BF sale)
Doctor Who - Complete Eleventh Series (Jodie Whittaker) DVD (Deepdiscount BF sale)

Got those Doctor Who seasons/series for $13/each BR and $11 DVD (after coupon codes). Super thrilled over those prices!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Ed Sullivan Show, 3 complete episodes derived from high quality Kinescopes on 2 DVDs featuring Elvis Presley (from Sept. and Oct. 1956, and Jan. 1957) with bonus features from the Presley estate...Carol Burnett, Charles Laughton, Sugar Ray Robinson, Senor Wences and others also appear in these complete and uncut episodes with network commercials...

Tales of Wells Fargo, Best of the Final Season in Color, 6 DVD Timeless set first released in 2009. This is the final (1961-62) one hour color season of the Dale Robertson Western. 22 episodes of the 34 produced that season. Universal must have "misplaced" the rest, or worse yet, perhaps the infamous vault fire? Hoo-boy...nevertheless, good ol' TMG did their best...

Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer: The Complete Series, the first (and best) of the three distinct Mike Hammer series starring Stacy Keach from 1983-85, including two pilot telefilms on 8 DVDs. Stacy Keach was an excellent Hammer, presented here as a 1940s Noir era gumshoe anachronism transplanted to the 1980s...Released by Australia's ViaVision almost unnoticed on July 30 of this year...the 2 pilot telefilms were previously released on DVD, but this is the first time for the series' 24 episodes themselves...reportedly, this is a Region 4 set, but maybe not, as a lot of what ViaVision puts out is region free...I'll report back when I get my filthy paws on this...

The history of Stacy Keach's three series often confuses fans (IMDB is confused too), as each had a slightly different series' title. The first series of 24 episodes was prematurely ended by Stacy Keach's knucklehead arrest for Cocaine possession on arrival in the UK in 1985. After sorting that out, he came back in 1986 with another TV movie which launched another series in 1987 with 22 episodes of The New Mike Hammer...bereft of the low-cut cleavage on Lindsay Bloom's 'Velda', Donna Denton's 'The Face', Lee Benton's 'Jenny' and the many babes featured here and much of the unashamed 1940s and 1950s sexism that fans of the original loved so much (including me!) The New Mike Hammer is also available on DVD. And then there is the 1997 re-boot, Mike Hammer, Private Eye, 26 eps., which is OOP on DVD and going for insane asking prices...Stacy Keach is still very active as an actor today...

Randall thanks for adding the links (and Howie the pricing-locations). Now I can clearly see the ones I cannot afford. :)

I wasn't even aware of this Ed Sullivan Show collection. Nice to see complete episodes are available as opposed to the Sofa Chopped Salad editions.

I've had the Tales of Wells Fargo, Best of the Final Season in Color for years and love it. Currently airing on MeTV+.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I wasn't even aware of this Ed Sullivan Show collection. Nice to see complete episodes are available as opposed to the Sofa Chopped Salad editions.

I've had the Tales of Wells Fargo, Best of the Final Season in Color for years and love it. Currently airing on MeTV+.
Neal, that Ed Sullivan Show Elvis Presley collection is really wonderful, and I'm so glad to have it. I got the Tales of Wells Fargo Best of the Final Season in Color set finally, that release's existence having slipped my mind as an oversight these many years. All of the episodes I believe are on YT too. But I need to have them in hand for the obvious reasons. I think I have just about everything that Timeless released during it's existence, and the great majority of Shout's releases too.

Something else that I should have mentioned:

The Key To Rebecca, 1985 miniseries based on Ken Follett's WW2 bestselling novel and starring Cliff Robertson as a British Counter-Intelligence officer, David Soul as a Nazi spy in Cairo and Robert Culp as German General Rommel! British screen great Anthony Quayle, Season Hubley and Lina Raymond as an eye-popping belly dancer. Loosely based on real people and events during the Desert War in North Africa.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Some great hauls there, guys!

I was one of the backers of the 3D Film Archive's restoration of The Abbott and Costello Show S1 Blu-Ray release this past summer, so a copy should be winging its way to my family's home in the States real soon. I've never seen the show before (though I've been a big A & C movie fan for years), so am excited to check the series out sometime in January.

Howie, that's a superb deal on the classic Doctor Who Blu-Ray releases! I know I paid a heck of a lot more for my copies. ;)

And Randall, thanks for reminding me that I need to snag that Tales of Wells Fargo: Best of the Final Season in Color set post-haste (in addition to the Timeless' S1 & 2 combo release).

I've been enjoying the British legal drama Crown Court so much (more on the series here) that I decided to snap up the few volumes which I don't have that are still available (apparently Volumes 6, 7 and 8 are all OOP). I already own Volumes 2 and 3 (which also now appears to be OOP on Network's website), so I ordered:

Crown Court Volume 1
Crown Court Volume 4
Crown Court Volume 5

I was planning to also get The Human Jungle Complete Series set from Network but the price just jacked up by 4 pounds, so I will wait for it to drop down again before I pull the trigger on that.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Well after all my whining about not having any money here I am again with my latest purchases.

The O. Henry Playhouse: The Complete Series, Volume 1

851968007712 DVD $12.49
Release date: 11/30/2021

Sky King DVD Box Set All 72 TV Episodes + Book + Aviation History BonusSky King DVD Box Set Al...jpg

Official Sky King Complete 18 DVD (72 Episodes) Box Set Condition: Very Good
ITEM PRICE: US $125.00 (165129336005)

Seller had $150 Price tag no Best Offer. Sent message asking if price was flexible. Instantly received reply Seller offered a special discount 17% on Official Sky King Complete 18 DVD. I bit! :)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, that Ed Sullivan Show Elvis Presley collection is really wonderful, and I'm so glad to have it. I got the Tales of Wells Fargo Best of the Final Season in Color set finally, that release's existence having slipped my mind as an oversight these many years. All of the episodes I believe are on YT too. But I need to have them in hand for the obvious reasons. I think I have just about everything that Timeless released during it's existence, and the great majority of Shout's releases too.

Something else that I should have mentioned:

The Key To Rebecca, 1985 miniseries based on Ken Follett's WW2 bestselling novel and starring Cliff Robertson as a British Counter-Intelligence officer, David Soul as a Nazi spy in Cairo and Robert Culp as German General Rommel! British screen great Anthony Quayle, Season Hubley and Lina Raymond as an eye-popping belly dancer. Loosely based on real people and events during the Desert War in North Africa.

Thanks for the additional comments Randall. I'll soon make a post of the early b&w Tales of Wells Fargo but the color Playlist on YT are awful. Thank goodness they do not originate from the Timeless DVD's which are far better. Don't know if you've seen the prints on MeTV+ but I think they've been remastered. Regarding The Key To Rebecca, please don't tempt me to buy anything else. :( :)

Btw in regards to the Mike Hammer collection. Why so pricey. Is it OOP or about to be so?

1638341192527.png

Mickey Spillane's Mike... $56.82

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The color season of Tales of Wells Fargo was my first exposure to the show.
Good show, Alan! And I think there are quite a few very good color episodes in the final season 6. There's a lot of cowboy authentic about Dale Robertson. Also great on Iron Horse and much later in 1987's J.J. Starbuck. And I often find myself laughing out loud at some of the witticisms he says while sorting out the various parasites that plague the Wells Fargo business, including a sweaty John Dehner and Edgar Buchanan as seen in this hilarious 30 second promo that Starz put together for the series' airings in 2019...love it! BTW, did Starz and MeTV+ have access to all 201 episodes?

MV5BYTdjOTg4MzAtOTM5Yy00ZWJjLWEyZGItYzM1OTdmMTc1NzQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwNDI2MTk@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Thanks for the additional comments Randall. I'll soon make a post of the early b&w Tales of Wells Fargo but the color Playlist on YT are awful. Thank goodness they do not originate from the Timeless DVD's which are far better. Don't know if you've seen the prints on MeTV+ but I think they've been remastered.
Neal, I took a look at some of the color episodes on YT which just as you say look like they're older edited recordings from somewhere, running 2 to 3 minutes shorter than the just-shy of 50:00 transfers that are on the TMG set, which indeed do look very good with vibrant color. But as you also say, not as good as the much newer transfers done for MeTV+ and Starz (not easily had in Canada until recently), similar to the brilliant color episodes more recently transferred by Universal from 35mm film vault elements of Laramie for cable, regrettably long after Timeless released what they could cobble together for their DVD releases.
And Randall, thanks for reminding me that I need to snag that Tales of Wells Fargo: Best of the Final Season in Color set post-haste (in addition to the Timeless' S1 & 2 combo release).
Jeff, I hope you can get a copy of this OOP 6 DVD set, as it's very much worth having! I Mean, you have your classic TV girlfriend Lisa Gaye in a glorious color episode (Kelly's Clover Girls) along with Dawn Wells too! And then you have Lisa's sister Debra Paget in another episode (Man of Another Breed)!

I also have the 52 episode Timeless DVD set of the seasons one and two B+W episodes from 1957-58, another great set with near-pristine transfers from Universal. Too bad that this appears to be all we'll ever get on DVD.
I was one of the backers of the 3D Film Archive's restoration of The Abbott and Costello Show S1 Blu-Ray release this past summer, so a copy should be winging its way to my family's home in the States real soon. I've never seen the show before (though I've been a big A & C movie fan for years), so am excited to check the series out sometime in January.
I envy you here Jeff! Great that you supported front-ending the costs of the restoration and new transfers for The Abbott and Costello Show for Blu-ray by Furmanek, ClassicsFlix and associates! The price is surprisingly reasonable for the season one release, and I'll definitely be one of the freeloaders picking it up!

Jeff, your comments about how much you enjoy Crown Court are intriguing! I've thought about trying The Human Jungle also, specifically because of the high regard I have for the wonderful Herbert Lom, a stalwart of great British cinema for so many years.
Regarding The Key To Rebecca, please don't tempt me to buy anything else. :( :)

Btw in regards to the Mike Hammer collection. Why so pricey. Is it OOP or about to be so?

1638341192527.png
1638341192527.png

Mickey Spillane's Mike... $56.82
Yes, this is a brand new release, streeted in July, but these ViaVision sets are pricey. Considering the usual excellent quality and them coming all the way from Australia, understandable. I hope ViaVision (the old Madman) continues to be active with more unexpected and new-to-disc TV releases in store! They continue to release more Blu-ray movies under their successful 'Imprint' label too.

Wow, Neal! Now you're tempting me with spending my beans n' franks budget on more discs! I plan on getting the ClassicFlix volume one of O Henry Playhouse, hopefully receiving it before Christmas. And I've long wanted to get that brilliantly presented Sky King complete series too! Way back when, their original deluxe edition was even more pricey, so it's great that you jumped on that bargain! "From out of the clear blue of the western sky..."

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I'm *really* torn over this one... I *love* Abbott and Costello but just can't stand Joe Besser (who plays the same whiny bratty "kid" character on this show that he does almost everywhere - it's *always* grated me)... I own a copy of the "Complete Series" on DVD and kind of feel that's good enough considering it'll not be watched that often all because of Besser.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Jeff we'll make you a Besser fan yet. I'm positive, I'm positive, I'm positive positive positive!

Neal, I took a look at some of the color episodes on YT which just as you say look like they're older edited recordings from somewhere, running 2 to 3 minutes shorter than the just-shy of 50:00 transfers that are on the TMG set, which indeed do look very good with vibrant color. But as you also say, not as good as the much newer transfers done for MeTV+ and Starz (not easily had in Canada until recently), similar to the brilliant color episodes more recently transferred by Universal from 35mm film vault elements of Laramie for cable, regrettably long after Timeless released what they could cobble together for their DVD releases.
Don't get me railing against Shout Randall. When I think of all the $$$ I spent on those lousy Laramie season sets that I might as throw in the dumpster now after watching the Encore Westerns remasters!
Wow, Neal! Now you're tempting me with spending my beans n' franks budget on more discs! I plan on getting the ClassicFlix volume one of O Henry Playhouse, hopefully receiving it before Christmas. And I've long wanted to get that brilliantly presented Sky King complete series too! Way back when, their original deluxe edition was even more pricey, so it's great that you jumped on that bargain! "From out of the clear blue of the western sky..."
LOL Randall beans n' franks budget, hahahah! Thanks my friend. I just hope the picture quality doesn't put me off. John has told me much about this set, but there's a few Amazon reviewers that mention some negative things about the later seasons.

I'm *really* torn over this one... I *love* Abbott and Costello but just can't stand Joe Besser (who plays the same whiny bratty "kid" character on this show that he does almost everywhere - it's *always* grated me)... I own a copy of the "Complete Series" on DVD and kind of feel that's good enough considering it'll not be watched that often all because of Besser.
We know Howie, we know. This one's for you pal! :)

Last edited:

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Good show, Alan! And I think there are quite a few very good color episodes in the final season 6. There's a lot of cowboy authentic about Dale Robertson. Also great on Iron Horse and much later in 1987's J.J. Starbuck. And I often find myself laughing out loud at some of the witticisms he says while sorting out the various parasites that plague the Wells Fargo business, including a sweaty John Dehner and Edgar Buchanan as seen in this hilarious 30 second promo that Starz put together for the series' airings in 2019...love it! BTW, did Starz and MeTV+ have access to all 201 episodes?

MV5BYTdjOTg4MzAtOTM5Yy00ZWJjLWEyZGItYzM1OTdmMTc1NzQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwNDI2MTk@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Jeff, I hope you can get a copy of this OOP 6 DVD set, as it's very much worth having! I Mean, you have your classic TV girlfriend Lisa Gaye in a glorious color episode (Kelly's Clover Girls) along with Dawn Wells too! And then you have Lisa's sister Debra Paget in another episode (Man of Another Breed)!

I also have the 52 episode Timeless DVD set of the seasons one and two B+W episodes from 1957-58, another great set with near-pristine transfers from Universal. Too bad that this appears to be all we'll ever get on DVD.

I envy you here Jeff! Great that you supported front-ending the costs of the restoration and new transfers for The Abbott and Costello Show for Blu-ray by Furmanek, ClassicsFlix and associates! The price is surprisingly reasonable for the season one release, and I'll definitely be one of the freeloaders picking it up!

Jeff, your comments about how much you enjoy Crown Court are intriguing! I've thought about trying The Human Jungle also, specifically because of the high regard I have for the wonderful Herbert Lom, a stalwart of great British cinema for so many years.

Yes, this is a brand new release, streeted in July, but these ViaVision sets are pricey. Considering the usual excellent quality and them coming all the way from Australia, understandable. I hope ViaVision (the old Madman) continues to be active with more unexpected and new-to-disc TV releases in store! They continue to release more Blu-ray movies under their successful 'Imprint' label too.

I’d like to check out J.J. Starbuck; I’m finding myself enjoying a lot of 1980’s series more than I did at the time.

I think I mentioned it in an old post, but I bought my copy of Tales color season at a flea market in Pasadena, from a guy who told me his first job was working at a service station in the 1960’s that Dale Robertson frequented.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I've just received Maverick: The Complete Fourth Season, Vols. 1-2. Bart (Kelly), Bret (final appearance of Garner in the Maverick Line), Brent (Colbert in two episodes), and cousin Beau (Moore). I'll give it to myself for Xmas!
Lots of good episodes in that season, James - enjoy your Maverick Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks