What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Another UK release came today: Gormenghast (it's upscaled, but I'll take it).

A third one is still on its way: the first volume, of what I hope are many, of the vintage BBC anthology show Play for Today.

Rarewaves seems bound and determined to send them all (The Boys, Gormenghast, Play for Today) separately even though I ordered them together. But I suppose if a package gets lost, it'll only be one item they need to replace instead of all of them.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
476369-Product-1-I-637302462668468645_1024x1024.jpg

Ordered the above R4 set from Australia, $75 U.S. including shipping to Japan...a good deal, as the MOD season 3 and 4 half season volumes are still going around $34 each on Deep Discount. Hoping for all uncut episodes, at least. Not holding my breath that the original music will be there on seasons 1 and 2, but who knows?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Kung Fu - The Complete Collection

Single sided discs (16) from Wal-Mart for $29.99. Looking forward to revisiting this offbeat "Western".
Good series - I have trouble accepting the faux WS on S1 (Don't recall if they continued that for all seasons or not - I've not yet watched my set beyond S1). Lots of shots are just too tight formatted that way.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Received season 2 of The Patty Duke Show and MPI's Donna Reed Show boxset with seasons 1-5 in the mail yesterday.

I owned one of the five seasons already for The Donna Reed Show, but it was cheaper to double dip with this than to buy the missing seasons individually on Amazon.

Sadly though, I'll have to complain to Amazon. The season set of The Patty Duke Show has significant damage thanks to poor packing. It had migrated in transit and when I opened the outer flaps, it was wedged between the outside flaps and the flap on the inside of the box

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
The Invaders —The Complete Series

strangely, this set came with the original 2 individual seasons instead of having the epik pak clamshell like it normally would and it came inside the complete series slipcover , however the back of the slipcover is different in that it has the full listing of episodes on it —the original slipcover didn't have that.

bought from amazon and not a third party so it should be legit.
first time i’ve seen a set have a new slipcover made for remainder stock. usually its just shrinkwrapped together with a sticker saying complete seasons 1&2 or whatnot.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Huckleberry Finn & His Friends Complete Series from 1979 to replace my fan made ones. A little Little House on the Prairie or old ABC Weekend Specials like Soup & Me thrown in a bowl with Mark Twain and smoothed out like a sweet frosting!! I can't remember if my kid self saw this. But it's like finding the Pippi Longstocking show filmed in Sweden from the late 60s and 70s as an adult. Just so different from kid stuff of today. Like massaging all the garbage out of my mind. I miss the 70s and early 80s so much.

This release is 6 dvds the others are all 4 I believe. German words all over the packaging but english sound included. There's a booklet but it might be German... if so, scheisse!! I could have gotten the english packaging one but less dvds, plus it's region 2 and this is region 0. both are pal. It's all about the shows and them looking the best! glad to finally get this proper.

One more tv purchase for me. When Monty Python on blu comes back down to $75 or less that will be it for a while. hee hee hee I guess. :p no it is! I have to save.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
We just ordered a lot of British TV shows on Blu-ray and DVD (being region free is really the way to go): Chef!, The Young Ones, Rik Mayall Presents, Filthy, Rich, and Catflap for my partner, while I finally ordered Space: 1999 Series 2, The Persuaders!, and Department S on Blu-ray (I’m looking to collect most of Network’s ITC series releases on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Kung Fu - The Complete Collection

Single sided discs (16) from Wal-Mart for $29.99. Looking forward to revisiting this offbeat "Western".
Thanks for mentioning this, Doug. I went out the other day to the local Wally and picked it up as well.

I love the episode "Alethea", with a very young Jodie Foster, who had amazing talent at that age (and continues to have).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Office on Blu.

Target has them back in stock, a 20% off red circle sale, and I had $15 or so in red circle discounts hanging around to bring the price to $85 shipped, which is less than $10 per season and a decent deal since it's unlikely a pressed MOD set will ever go much below the $101 it was at before Christmas.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Office on Blu.

Target has them back in stock, a 20% off red circle sale, and I had $15 or so in red circle discounts hanging around to bring the price to $85 shipped, which is less than $10 per season and a decent deal since it's unlikely a pressed MOD set will ever go much below the $101 it was at before Christmas.

If I had to guess, Universal was really lazy and just did a straight single-sided discs repress with no reauthoring/censoring for the seasons 8 and 9 ?

(IIRC season 8 was originally released as atrocious BD59 double-sided flipper discs, where each disc had sideA as the bluray version and sideB as the corresponding dvd version).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I had to guess, Universal was really lazy and just did a straight single-sided discs repress with no reauthoring/censoring for the seasons 8 and 9 ?

(IIRC season 8 was originally released as atrocious BD59 double-sided flipper discs, where each disc had sideA as the bluray version and sideB as the corresponding dvd version).
From what I've read, yes. The traditional laziness has worked in our favor for once as far as uncut content goes.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Good series - I have trouble accepting the faux WS on S1 (Don't recall if they continued that for all seasons or not - I've not yet watched my set beyond S1). Lots of shots are just too tight formatted that way.

They did the faux WS just on Season 1, thankfully.

It's almost comical in that the extras, which were made specifically for the original DVD releases, were shot in widescreen, but because they were intended for Standard Def DVDs are "windowboxed" in the middle of the screen instead of 16x9 "full screen".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks