What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Since you seem to be going through old British shows, do you have Dad's Army yet? That was my favorite blind buy out of them all.

I have a few miscellaneous seasons of Dad's Army, Robert (like that show a lot), but not the complete series. That's one of my planned purchases for early next year. The UK set is pretty dang cheap at 15 pounds.

I've got a pretty extensive British drama collection, but am trying to bulk up the comedy side with a few must-haves. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing that massive Last of the Summer Wine complete series set when it dropped to less than 50 pounds earlier this month...now it's back up around 110. Will likely end up settling for the Series 1-10 "Early Years" set, which is still pretty affordable (and which will likely be more than sufficient for me, don't need all 31 seasons, really).

Also on my "want list":
The Two Ronnies
The Goodies
Keeping Up Appearances
Father Ted
(have some of this one, but not all)
The Vicar of Dibley (ditto)
Morecambe & Wise Christmas Specials

and a handful of others...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
One last order to close out 2020:

The Ultimate Ronnie Barker Collection
Bought this as it was the cheapest way to get the complete 3 seasons of Porridge and its sequel series Going Straight; the other series included in this set (the complete Open All Hours, etc.) are just icing on the cake,

s-l400.jpg

To the Manor Born Complete Collection

81%2Bh%2BdsBSqL._AC_SY445_.jpg

I picked up that same Ronnie Barker set ages ago because, as you said, it was a dirt cheap way to get all that stuff.

I can't remember if my To The Manor Born set was an American release or not.

Since you seem to be going through old British shows, do you have Dad's Army yet? That was my favorite blind buy out of them all.
Like the two of you, I also purchased that Ronnie Baker set for exactly the same reason. It's still waiting on a viewing (3 years and a month later). I already owned a copy of Open All Hours and had read good things about Porridge. It was a no-brainer purchase.

My copy of To the Manor Born is the US release (and was watched long ago - I should rewatch it) but lacks the "25th Wedding Anniversary Special" (which I also purchased - from what I recall, it's superior to any US series "reunion" special I've seen, something I gave up on decades ago as they're rarely worth watching, and quite watchable but not as good as the main series). My wife and I saw that one on PBS and really enjoyed it. Another no-brainer purchase. We'd seen Penelope Keith in The Good Life (aka Good Neighbors in the US), also on PBS, which is another favorite (or would that be favourite? ;) )

I started with Dad's Army as a blind buy of the US sampler based on the liking the work of David Croft (Are You Being Served?, Are You Being Served? Again!, and 'Allo 'Allo!). After waiting a few years I gave up on further US releases and purchased the UK Complete Series set (one of the first R2 releases I purchased). That one, along with liking the first 3 I'd seen, prompted purchases of the David Croft series, Hi-De-Hi!, and It Ain't Half Hot Mum, with a couple more in the Amazon UK wish list (You Rang, Milord? and Oh Doctor Beeching!)

I credit the local PBS affiliate with beginning my journey down the "rabbit hole" of British TV series, especially the comedies, as they aired several in weekend "late night" time slots and rotated them fairly regularly. I saw several others on A&E in the years before they became "The WWII Channel" (Lovejoy, Rising Damp, Two's Company, and a couple of others).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have a few miscellaneous seasons of Dad's Army, Robert (like that show a lot), but not the complete series. That's one of my planned purchases for early next year. The UK set is pretty dang cheap at 15 pounds.

I've got a pretty extensive British drama collection, but am trying to bulk up the comedy side with a few must-haves. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing that massive Last of the Summer Wine complete series set when it dropped to less than 50 pounds earlier this month...now it's back up around 110. Will likely end up settling for the Series 1-10 "Early Years" set, which is still pretty affordable (and which will likely be more than sufficient for me, don't need all 31 seasons, really).

Also on my "want list":
The Two Ronnies
The Goodies
Keeping Up Appearances
Father Ted
(have some of this one, but not all)
The Vicar of Dibley (ditto)
Morecambe & Wise Christmas Specials
and a handful of others...
That complete series set of Last of the summer Wine goes on sale in the 50 pound range fairly regularly (I'm somewhat kicking myself for not picking it up last November for ~34 pounds). Part of me wants it for no other reason than to reduce shelf space. *Each* "season" of the US releases is in a separate, standard, Amaray case - so there are 31(!) of them - and S1 and S2 are the R2 releases because they never saw a proper R1 release (only in a release which combined most of the episodes into "movies").

Father Ted is a hoot! That one was another blind buy based on my liking, very much, The Vicar of Dibley and looking for more UK comedy skewering religious attitudes and institutions. I love how they get humor out of those things while mostly staying respectful - that rare ability to laugh at yourself and not be offended when someone points out those funny things.

Keeping up Appearances is another of those PBS viewings and a rare British comedy my wife also likes (She's not a fan of Fawlty Towers, 'Allo 'Allo!, or Monty Python, some of my all-time favorites). I highly recommend it.

One of her favorites is As Time Goes By with Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer. While I own a copy it's not one I care for that much so haven't yet watched it. It's OK but more romance/comedy stuff, basically a "gentle" rom/com. It *has* been many years since I last saw an episode so it's possible I'll like it better these days. She also really enjoys Waiting for God, another of my favorites.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
And while I was at it, these two seem to go together....

View attachment 84875

Didn't realize there was an Underdog Complete Collection. I'll have to look out for it.

A couple of weeks ago, I got The Expanse Season 4 on Blu-ray. The other night, I placed an order with VEI for three "Complete Series/Collections":

Longstreet (for the eps with Bruce Lee, of course)
Cagney & Lacey Limited Edition
The Equalizer Limited Edition

I already have VEI's C&L "Complete" Series, which isn't really complete. It only has the six seasons with Sharon Gless as Cagney. The Limited Edition also has (1) the first, Meg Foster as Cagney season, (2) the pilot movie with Loretta Swit as Cagney, and (3) the four "Menopause Years" sequel TVMs.

The Equalizer Limited Edition has, in addition to the four seasons of the show (1) all 13 episodes of a British series with Woodward, CI-5: The New Professionals, (2) Woodward's last movie, A Congregation of Ghosts, and (3) Wet Job, the second of two sequel movies to Woodward's British series Callan.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Didn't realize there was an Underdog Complete Collection. I'll have to look out for it.

A couple of weeks ago, I got The Expanse Season 4 on Blu-ray. The other night, I placed an order with VEI for three "Complete Series/Collections":

Longstreet (for the eps with Bruce Lee, of course)
Cagney & Lacey Limited Edition
The Equalizer Limited Edition

I already have VEI's C&L "Complete" Series, which isn't really complete. It only has the six seasons with Sharon Gless as Cagney. The Limited Edition also has (1) the first, Meg Foster as Cagney season, (2) the pilot movie with Loretta Swit as Cagney, and (3) the four "Menopause Years" sequel TVMs.

The Equalizer Limited Edition has, in addition to the four seasons of the show (1) all 13 episodes of a British series with Woodward, CI-5: The New Professionals, (2) Woodward's last movie, A Congregation of Ghosts, and (3) Wet Job, the second of two sequel movies to Woodward's British series Callan.

That Equalizer set is my all-time favorite VEI release. Universal only released one season so I was glad to see VEI had picked it up. And all the extra stuff they included was just gravy. Edward Woodward is perfect as Robert McCall.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
The Under Dog set (as well as Tennessee Tuxedo) are both new reissues of sets Shout! released back in 2012. Slimmer packaging and reasonable prices. The best cartoon from that era is Rocky and Bullwinkle. Under Dog and Tennessee are both quite fun in their own right, and I'm glad I finally purchased them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I keep looking at those sets but don't know how well they'd hold up for me these days (I watched both every time they were on during the original airings). I did sample a few Underdog shorts on youtube sometime back but still couldn't decide. That repackaged set is priced quite reasonably which makes it even harder. And I've always felt Wally Cox was a very good choice for the role.

"There's no need to fear! *UNDERDOG* is here!!"

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And in the final batch of WB Archives gambles I took, Head of the Class from Deep Discount came in today, and...

Pressed.
Thank you!

I took a chance due to Robert's report, ordered and received pressed copies of:

The Head of the Class - Season 1 and Season 2 - also from Deep Discount (and was able to take advantage of a 15% off coupon in the process).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks