What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
An Amazon UK order...

The IT Crowd complete series
Fresh Fields/French Fields complete series
Red Dwarf: The Promised Land

The order was spurred on because I kinda want to rewatch Red Dwarf, and needed that last piece.

I really enjoyed Red Dwarf: The Promised Land. I'm waiting for the Region A Blu-Ray set before I pick it up, though, as all of my Red Dwarf collection (complete except for Back to Earth, which I don't ever need to see again) is Region 1 / A.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really enjoyed Red Dwarf: The Promised Land. I'm waiting for the Region A Blu-Ray set before I pick it up, though, as all of my Red Dwarf collection (complete except for Back to Earth, which I don't ever need to see again) is Region 1 / A.

I picked up the first 8 seasons and Back To Earth in R1. Then, I bought X in R1, and it suffered horribly from NTSC slowdown and no pitch correction. So I abandoned R1 for R2 releases going forward (including buying a correct X in R2).

I considered buying the 1-8 Blu set, since it's region free, but from everything I've read the picture really isn't that much better and the shots are zoomed in ever so slightly compared to the DVDs. So, I stayed with plain old DVDs.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I considered buying the 1-8 Blu set, since it's region free, but from everything I've read the picture really isn't that much better and the shots are zoomed in ever so slightly compared to the DVDs. So, I stayed with plain old DVDs.

With you there, Robert...from all I've read on UK forums like Roobarb's, etc., it sounds like the Series 1 - 8 Blu isn't worth the upgrade. As it is, I'm very satisfied with my "plain old" Region 1 DVD sets of those seasons. There's only so much that can be done to clean up those early seasons of Red Dwarf, and they look just fine to me - plus they are already loaded with special features.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The end of last week, my order from Amazon UK arrived with Season 7 and Season 8 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the Complete Collection of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

Just today, I got the UK Blu-ray of the 1981 BBC version of The Day of the Triffids. On the downside, I just learned that the same day that that was released by BBC, they also released a Blu-ray of Gormenghast, which I would've ordered at the same time if I'd known about it.

Well, I want to get the UK Blu-ray of The Boys Season 1, so I guess another order from Old Blighty is in my future.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Ebay, New sets ...
20201024_124805.jpg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just received the complete series of the Mary Tyler Moore show. Not a fan of the bundle packaging of 20+ discs in one book-style shell (too much work to get to a specific disc I want to watch, and the discs can flop around inside the shell during transit).

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Love MTM but having to store and juggle 20 discs to watch seems unwieldy. Hulu has all seasons online in at least DVD quality or better for those wanting easier access.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Love MTM but having to store and juggle 20 discs to watch seems unwieldy. Hulu has all seasons online in at least DVD quality or better for those wanting easier access.

This thread's topic is very specifically about buying TV show episodes on disc. Not about the advantages/disadvantages of discs vs. streaming. There are plenty of other threads in which to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks