What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
How many times has this plot been used in sitcoms? I mean, I never saw this episode, but I know the story. Didn't The Honeymooners, Dick Van Dyke, The Flintstones and The Simpsons use this premise?
Some examples (there may be others):

The Honeymooners: "Letter to the Boss" (1953, remade 1955)
Dick Van Dyke Show: "Obnoxious, Offensive Egomaniac, Etc."* (1966) [as mentioned in original post]
The Flintstones: "The Mailman Cometh" (1962)
The Simpsons: "Blood Feud" (1991)

*Some sources (including "The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book" by Vince Waldron and "The Dick Van Dyke Show: Anatomy of a Classic" by Weissman and Sanders) put a comma after Offensive, but offensive is an adjective describing egomaniac. There should be no comma (as displayed in the actual episode titles onscreen).

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
That's a great price for the complete Munsters, Doug...enjoy!

Well, I was going to wait for a price drop but, in a moment of weakness, caved and ordered the following Blu-Ray sets:

Doctor Who: Tom Baker Season 14
71swmVB4cHL._SX342_.jpg

Doctor Who: Colin Baker Season 23
(mainly for the MASSIVE amount of special features, including extended episodes for each story.)

81ANZY2zyQL._SL1500_.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm not a Classic Who fan, but I need to get the latest Tom Baker set for my wife. She has the two previous Tom Baker sets, the Pertwee set (plus Spearhead from Space), and the Davison set. She doesn't want the Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy sets, though. At least, not for now.

But at her request, I just ordered the two Peter Cushing "whovies" from Bull Moose. Should be getting those by Wed or Thu.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Jeff, I have both of those. I actually like Colin Baker and the extras on that set are excellent. Nicola is still gorgeous. Enjoy.

Thank, Doug! I actually like Colin Baker, too. Pity he was saddled with such a poor costume, though. And definitely agree with you re: Nicola Bryant. My, has she aged well!

61n-9m72d7L._AC_.jpg

images

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Amazon has it for $18.95 - free shipping with Prime.

Thanks, but for philosophical reasons we try not to use Amazon unless I have no other choice. I do confess that we're somewhat hypocritical about this, as we use Prime for streaming (though I'd probably be willing to give that up if not for The Expanse), and I do use some of their European sites for titles not available in Region A/1.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Thanks, but for philosophical reasons we try not to use Amazon unless I have no other choice. I do confess that we're somewhat hypocritical about this, as we use Prime for streaming (though I'd probably be willing to give that up if not for The Expanse), and I do use some of their European sites for titles not available in Region A/1.
Great policy. I’ve used them twice in the last 4 years.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I feel pretty much the same about Walmart.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I feel pretty much the same about Walmart.

I can see that. Our problem with eschewing Wally is that the only "big box" store within reasonable driving distance is Sam's Club, which is a Wal-Mart subsidiary, and we use that for our bulk food and paper products shopping (in our previous location, we used BJ's for our big-box needs). And we can use our Sam's Club CC for purchases at Wally. Even then, we don't shop much there.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife and I decided to get all of the Designing Women season sets. I've ordered S1, S2, S3, and S5 from Best Buy, and should get them next week (except for S2, which for some reason they expect it to be another month). The others I'll have to get from Amazon, though we're less excited about S6 & S7, given the cast departures by then.

So...after getting the above -- including the took-a-month-to-ship S2 -- Best Buy apparently restocked on the other three seasons, so I ordered those as well, and they came today. So, we now have all seven seasons. There is a plus in getting S6, as it has the episode where Julia calls a certain Cheeto-colored celebrity to tell him that "We don't care" about who he's dating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks