What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought?

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And, The Good Place: Complete Series on Blu-ray. (This is a blind buy. We've only seen a few minutes of it when it aired live.)
I would be very surprised if you were disappointed with that purchase. It is one of the most inventive and exciting series ever.

Does the case for your copy work correctly? Once I took out the first two discs, they refused to lock back into the hubs and floated around loose. So I sent it back to Amazon for a replacement, because I don't know where else to get a spare 9-disc case. I'm hoping the new copy (which is on the way) will keep them in securely.

Mike Frezon

Does the case for your copy work correctly? Once I took out the first two discs, they refused to lock back into the hubs and floated around loose. So I sent it back to Amazon for a replacement, because I don't know where else to get a spare 9-disc case. I'm hoping the new copy (which is on the way) will keep them in securely.
Haven't unwrapped the plastic, but I hear no floating discs or bits of plastic rattling around when I shake the case.

The Complete Series of 30 Rock uses two of those same cases and my copy of that is fine, too.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Peter M Fitzgerald

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Just ordered Ultraman Ace: Complete Series (Steelbook Blu-ray), streeting on Tuesday, and also lucked into a used DVD set of James Burke's Connections 3, offered at a much more reasonable price ($50) than usual from a Marketplace seller (hoping the same will happen with the ludicrously-overpriced Connections 2 someday).

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
Mid-week last week, I made a trip to one of the Bull Moose stores here in NH that have re-opened. Among the discs I bought there were a couple of used titles: Human Target: Season 1 (BD) and Southland: Season 5 (DVD). A couple of days later, I went to another of the NH Bull Meese, and picked up (again, used, and all BD) Being Human: Season 1, and Heroes: Season 2 and Season 4.

Today I got the Star Trek: Short Treks release from Bull Moose (pre-order, shipped). I should be getting the HBO Watchmen series from Best Buy at some undetermined point this week (they seem to think I should get it by tomorrow, but they haven't shipped it yet, or even gotten it ready for shipping).

On edit: And as I was writing this post and, well, posting it, I get an email from Best Buy saying that Watchmen has been shipped!

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Finishing up a binge re-watching of the complete series of 30 Rock (we're in the middle of Season 6!), I took possession today of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Complete Series. There was a nice price drop on Amazon the other day.

I also recently purchased The Good Place.

Kimmy Schmidt is another blind buy for us. Haven't ever seen a minute of it but understand that some of the creative forces behind 30 Rock are involved. So it might be a logical follow-up. Time will tell!

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
Just the other day, I got in the mail the BBC blu-ray of the TV version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Alec Guinness. Now if only they'd follow it up with a blu-ray of Smiley's People.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2009 (aka Series 30) to *finally* complete the series!

Mine is US R1 releases except for Series 1 and 2 which never saw complete US release. Those 2 series are R2 (I have the US "Pink Box" which has all of S1 edited together into 2 "movies" and the first half of S2 done that same way). Several, several, times I almost caved and purchased the R2 Complete Series box as it was going to cost less than the 2-4 series I had left to purchase in R1 versions (as low as $45 shipped on 2 occasions). I couldn't bring myself to do it as I'd then have dups of almost 28+ R1 series. There were many years where Warner/BBC released a single series per year. I truly thought DVDs would no longer be made before they got it all out. And they *still* haven't bothered with an R1 "Complete Series" set release (and based on the prices of each series it'd likely be astronomically priced).

Last edited:

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
This afternoon, I saw the complete series set of "Green Acres" at the local Walmart for $39.96, cheaper than I've ever seen it, so I snagged a copy. Now to figure out what to do with the three seasons of the original MGM DVD "flippers" on my shelf.
That's a tempting price for the complete series. I'm not that much of a fan of GA, but it definitely had a surreal, gonzo sensibility.

You can always donate the previous releases to your local library. At worst, they'll put them on the "buy" shelf and make a couple of bucks from them.

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last of the Summer Wine: Vintage 2009 (aka Series 30) to *finally* complete the series!

Mine is US R1 releases except for Series 1 and 2 which never saw complete US release. Those 2 series are R2 (I have the US "Pink Box" which has all of S1 edited together into 2 "movies" and the first half of S2 done that same way). Several, several, times I almost caved and purchased the R2 Complete Series box as it was going to cost less than the 2-4 series I had left to purchase in R1 versions (as low as $45 shipped on 2 occasions). I couldn't bring myself to do it as I'd then have dups of almost 28+ R1 series. There were many years where Warner/BBC released a single series per year. I truly thought DVDs would no longer be made before they got it all out. And they *still* haven't bothered with an R1 "Complete Series" set release (and based on the prices of each series it'd likely be astronomically priced).
I get the feeling you were the one I referenced who was watching through Last of the Summer Wine in another thread.

And I hear what you're saying about astronomically priced US sets. That's why I buy British with stuff like this... extremely cheap in comparison. The Brits love shoving complete series out there for pennies. Like I said, Last of... was less than $75 for 30+ seasons. A US version of that would probably be double the price of Gunsmoke's 143 disc, 20 season set that checks in at around $230.

So, I'll just stock up on 2012 vintage Philips Blu-ray players that I can make region-free for DVD and keep on watching the R2 discs.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
And I hear what you're saying about astronomically priced US sets. That's why I buy British with stuff like this... extremely cheap in comparison. The Brits love shoving complete series out there for pennies. Like I said, Last of... was less than $75 for 30+ seasons. A US version of that would probably be double the price of Gunsmoke's 143 disc, 20 season set that checks in at around $230.

So, I'll just stock up on 2012 vintage Philips Blu-ray players that I can make region-free for DVD and keep on watching the R2 discs.
Yeah, we have about three or four of those Phillips players lying around, in addition to an all-region LG blu-ray player.

On the first point, I'm not all that familiar with Last of the Summer Wine. OK, it had 30+ seasons, apparently, but British shows don't tend to have seasons of 30 episodes or more.

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently, it had 31 seasons, for a total of 295 episodes. Gunsmoke went only 20 seasons, but had 635 episodes (not including the 80s/90s telefilms). So, at $75, LotSW would be 25¢ per episode; at $230, Gunsmoke would be 36¢ per episode.

For British series, I couldn't begin to think what a complete series set of The Bill (2,425 episodes) would run.

GMBurns

Second Unit
Real Name
Glenn
Star Trek the Next Generation S1. I am a long-time fan of the original Trek and have also enjoyed DS9 because I love Avery Brooks. I always resisted Next Generation because I figured, who can beat Kirk, Spock and McCoy? Now that I am older and potentially wiser, I am finally taking the plunge and giving SNG a try.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell