1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dillon*G, Mar 9, 2004.

1. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    [​IMG]

Ordered from Amazon UK. The Mad Death is a 1983 three-part miniseries about the aftermath of a rabies epidemic in Britain. The Four Just Men (based on the Edgar Wallace novel) features the four main cast members pictured above rotating as leads in this early 1959-1960 ITC crime drama. Honor Blackman appears in several episodes as Dan Dailey's girlfriend and assistant. This one was dirt cheap (less than 5 pounds) for 39 half-hour episodes.[/QUOTE]

I have loved this show, Jeff. Have fun.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    All this ITC love has prompted me to buy a series I have always meant to purchase, but somehow never got around to.

[​IMG]

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  3. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Remember watching this series when it first aired in the U.S. (wasn't it a syndicated show?) Fun stuff, and Glynis Barber (Soolin from Blake's 7) is a hottie.

[​IMG]

Jasper70 and Flashgear like this.
  4. Message #9244 of 9325 Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Actually, Glenn, I've been doing some reading on this set on Roobarb's Forum, and regret to tell you that the above Network set has quite a few edited episodes (seems to be 12 edited episodes, out of 30). Most are trims to cut down or remove violence. Most cuts seem to be only a few seconds in length, but are occasionally longer, up to one minute. The cuts don't seem to be the kind that effect the overall story or plot, but are bad enough that it would put me off buying the set, personally - snipping violent scenes (such as gunshots, punch ups, etc.) is a big no-no for an action-heavy series like this, in my book.

Just thought I should warn you, in case you want to cancel your order or return the set. This is very unlike Network, usually they are a very reliable company. It seems they were not able to access the original camera negatives (there is some talk that these were destroyed, but I haven't been able to verify this rumor.)

There apparently was a Portuguese DVD release that featured all uncut episodes, but it seems to be unavailable now. There is a Polish season 1 DVD that is apparently uncut and not too expensive, on Amazon UK. Sadly, the Network set seems to be the only affordable option to get all 3 seasons at the present time. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thought you should know...

BobO'Link and Flashgear like this.
  5. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Thanks for the heads up, Jeff. I already have the set so I will take it through its paces as I have opportunity. If I like the series I will live with the edits. But I appreciate you telling me ahead of time so I won't be as surprised when (or even if) I happen to notice the cuts.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Sounds like a good plan, Glenn! I hesitated to bring it up, as I didn't want to dash your excitement over your purchase...but I ended up thinking it would be better to let you know. If you're not overly familiar with the series, or haven't watched it in a long time, then it sounds like it's quite possible that you won't notice the edits, or at least not to an extent that will ruin your enjoyment. I hope that's the case. Anyway, thanks for taking my post in the spirit it was intended. :) And please let us know what you think of the show when you get around to watching it.

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Which is why, like I've said before, I enjoyed that abortive first-season (1981-82) Fall Guy release, despite the edits that were unmentioned on the packaging-- because I had not seen that much of that ABC crime/action series before.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  8. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Speed Racer blu ray to upgrade old dvds and I hope they added some punctuation in because my 50+ year old self can't keep up like my 5+/- year old self could
    Mister Rogers Would you be Mine collection, went to the zoo with Mr R last weekend from the other DVD set and agree sleeping lions are worth watching all day long... I need Mr. R 1968- soooOOoo bad. please next please
    Avengers Season 5 blu ray to upgrade some of the dvds, Emma cures my blus

9. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    Continuing the other regions theme, I won the Weird Science complete series from a cheap ebay auction. Hell, I think shipping from the UK was almost as much as the set.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    That is often the case with some of the deeply discounted prices from Amazon UK, etc., in my experience. That's why I try to order more than one title at a time, because often the shipping doesn't change much, if at all, for two DVD sets over one.

11. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    Just ordered Network's out-of-print R2 DVD set of The Sentimental Agent, new, from a 3rd-party seller here in the U.S.

It wasn't cheap (a hair under $60), but also wasn't as nearly as steep as the asking price from 3rd-party sellers on Amazon.uk. Also, no one is currently offering it on eBay. I don't see this getting any cheaper if I were to wait. The fact that there isn't all that much released TV-on-DVD & Blu of interest left that I don't already have, and that there's little chance of this series getting a domestic release (or a re-issue in the U.K.), pretty much sealed the deal.

Having said that, now watch it somehow get a Blu-ray announcement within the next few months. That's how this usually works. :laugh:

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  12. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    speed racer showed with 2 disc loose. some of these have those smudges on em that look like oil from the case kind of smudgers. Nothing severe though.

I also got Oh Brother where are thou and remembered that George Clooney is Speed all grown up. it's true!!!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  13. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Glad to hear that you found a mint copy of The Sentimental Agent, Peter. Haven't received mine yet; hopefully, it'll show up in a few days. I think we can both rest pretty well assured that the DVD set is the best we can expect...I'd wager that there's not much chance of a Blu-Ray for this series...especially as Network has let it go out of print.

Peter M Fitzgerald likes this.
  14. Message #9254 of 9325 Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    during episode 2 on blu ray 1, 3:28 and 3:30 there's a small popping sound and the sound drops for a micr second then it plays normally. does anybody know if that is normal? prob will have to return. will trying whipping the disc...

Never the mind. I tried to find my old dvd but failed. I found the episode on youtube and there is no skipping. so back it goes for replacement. also saw that Mister Rogers disc 2 is scratch even though not loose. bad luck

15. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Picked up both Monty Python’s Flying Circus and Fawlty Towers on Blu-Ray recently.

16. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Petticoat Junction 1-3 on 15 dvds. $17.49 including shipping with nothing else to guy with it on amazon right now!

I thought I had more seasons than 1 but I couldn't find any other after a tremendous search for them (and Benny Hill The Lost Years which I did find after days of looking).

Been watching S1 and I didn't even know there were beautiful B&W episodes. I don't remember even seeing those at all! Funny I always thought Mission Impossible was in B&W.

Note, there's a guy reviewing on amazon talking about how much better Bonanza was since it was always in color unlike the colorless episodes of Gunsmoke.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Clueless dolt... Even my grandkids know color doesn't "make it better." It's either good or not whether it's in color or BW.

18. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I know they had some black and white appreciation guidance in your family. When my nephew was growing up he loved I Love Lucy. Makes you proud. :D

I started watching Hogan's Heroes last year and it starts with the B&w and I was so happy thinking that whole season would be that way but nope. lol looks great in color but a full season in B&w would have been neat.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. Message #9259 of 9325 Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    IIRC, the only episode of Hogan's Heroes in BW is the pilot with the rest of it being color. Didn't matter at my house. We didn't get a color TV until Christmas 1968. And I got the old BW for my room (I think it was close to 19" - a tall console type. I remember having to adjust the horizontal hold with a knob on the back of the set - vertical hold was on front - and my arms almost weren't long enough to see what I was doing when it needed adjusting).

20. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I never had a color tv at home until sometime in the mid-1970s. We just got "hand me down" b&w tvs from various relatives/friends for a long time.

Jeff Flugel likes this.