What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought?

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
As it should be-- you don't need those doubles breaking down on you when you're wanting to enjoy a great show!
Speaking of, I re-bought S1 of Scrubs today.

I've had that season since, oh, 2005. Rewatched them a couple years ago, and half of disc 2 would not work. I'm betting layer failure. So, while putting my Adam 12 sets together today, I pulled out Scrubs for a rewatch, too, and decided to get a decent S1 since the discs are the only place for original music.

And the Adam 12 crisis is over, third time was the charm. Finally have the single discs with no scratches.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Speaking of disc failures, in my Star Trek The Next Generation rewatch, at least one disc in each season has gone bad, including ones with awesome bonus features, so I guess I’ll be buying that again. The “Enterprise” complete series set also has a handful of discs that went bad, but none of the bonus content was affected, so I might just stream the episodes that won’t play on disc next time I watch that instead of rebuying. But I’m annoyed to even be thinking about having to buy the same thing yet again.

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Speaking of disc failures, in my Star Trek The Next Generation rewatch, at least one disc in each season has gone bad, including ones with awesome bonus features, so I guess I’ll be buying that again. The “Enterprise” complete series set also has a handful of discs that went bad, but none of the bonus content was affected, so I might just stream the episodes that won’t play on disc next time I watch that instead of rebuying. But I’m annoyed to even be thinking about having to buy the same thing yet again.
Are these the Blu-Ray sets, Josh? If so, that's an alarming failure rate for the format.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewA

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Are these the Blu-Ray sets, Josh? If so, that's an alarming failure rate for the format.
Yes, the Blu-ray sets. The TNG ones were from the original season releases; the Enterprise ones were from the complete series sets.

It hasn’t been that each disc is totally unplayable but at least one episode per disc will skip, or more often, freeze up to the point that I’ll need to manually force the player off, reload the whole thing, and then use the chapter menu to resume at a place past the offending part. There’s no visible damage to the discs; they get cleaned and tried a second time and the result is the same. Similar faults when tried in other disc players in the house.

My guess with these things is that it’s something to do with the glue holding the two layers together.
(I have yet to have any comparable issues with single layer Blu-rays).

Fortunately the complete TNG series now costs what each individual season used to go for, so I won’t go broke fixing this. But the last of these sets came out in 2014 and I did all the rewatching in 2018-2019. I know nothing lasts forever but I expected more than four years out of these.

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Yes, the Blu-ray sets. The TNG ones were from the original season releases; the Enterprise ones were from the complete series sets.

It hasn’t been that each disc is totally unplayable but at least one episode per disc will skip, or more often, freeze up to the point that I’ll need to manually force the player off, reload the whole thing, and then use the chapter menu to resume at a place past the offending part. There’s no visible damage to the discs; they get cleaned and tried a second time and the result is the same. Similar faults when tried in other disc players in the house.

My guess with these things is that it’s something to do with the glue holding the two layers together.
(I have yet to have any comparable issues with single layer Blu-rays).

Fortunately the complete TNG series now costs what each individual season used to go for, so I won’t go broke fixing this. But the last of these sets came out in 2014 and I did all the rewatching in 2018-2019. I know nothing lasts forever but I expected more than four years out of these.
Yikes! Well, sorry that you have to deal with this problem, especially with a supposedly superior physical media product. I only have the TNG sampler, and Seasons 2 - 5. Haven't encountered any playability issues with them yet, but then there are many episodes which I haven't gotten to. Fingers crossed!

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Reactions: Jeff Flugel

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Cannon complete (the one with more discs, not the crammed rerelease), Jake and the Fatman complete, and LA Law S1 (Shout).

So overall, it was a William Conrad kinda spree.

Oh, and Gunsmoke S18 and 19 came in. I'm not too optimistic on 20 at this point, but hey, at least we made it to 19!

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Received my Time Tunnel Blu-Ray set from the UK...fabulous picture quality on this fun show.

Ordered The Sentimental Agent from a new-to-me vendor in the UK called Classic Movie Store. They had a copy of the out-of-print Network DVD set of this short-run ITC series for less than 12 pounds. So far, their service seems very good.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Ordered The Sentimental Agent from a new-to-me vendor in the UK called Classic Movie Store. They had a copy of the out-of-print Network DVD set of this short-run ITC series for less than 12 pounds. So far, their service seems very good.

Damn, I checked that site and the set is now sold out. Since it's been a bunch of years since the DVD releases, I wonder if perhaps Network could be persuaded to release a Blu-ray sets of Man of the World and The Sentimental Agent (or a combo set)?

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hopper
Cannon complete (the one with more discs, not the crammed rerelease), Jake and the Fatman complete, and LA Law S1 (Shout).

So overall, it was a William Conrad kinda spree.

Oh, and Gunsmoke S18 and 19 came in. I'm not too optimistic on 20 at this point, but hey, at least we made it to 19!
2020 isn't finished yet. Wait for next Christmas.​

rjd0309

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Received my Time Tunnel Blu-Ray set from the UK...fabulous picture quality on this fun show.
Recently received my own Time Tunnel set and immediately watched my favorite episode,One Way to the Moon. I noticed a couple of odd things.

First, it seems that everyone sweats profusely! The makeup man must have sprayed the actors' faces with a water bottle before each and every take, because nearly everyone except for John Zaremba is absolutely dripping with sweat. The outstanding picture quality shows every drop of sweat, every skin pore.

Second, the timing of the subtitles is really annoying. You would normally expect to see a subtitle appear at the same moment that a character speaks. But in the case of this blu-ray release, they have monkeyed with the timing of the subtitles.

When two characters are conversing, the subtitle graphic appears after the first character speaks, but before the second character speaks. This permits both characters' lines of dialogue to be displayed at the same time, within the same subtitle graphic. One subtitle graphic instead of two -- a cost-saving measure.

The downside is that the timing matches neither character's voice. The upside is that the blu-ray authors have managed to save money by combining two neighboring subtitles into one! They've taken an episode with 500 original subtitles and managed to reduce that number to 350, thus saving a grand total of 27 cents! It is really annoying that they went to the trouble of releasing the series in HD quality, but cut corners on the subtitles.

So, I replaced the subs with the ones from the official dvd release. Much better now.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters

rjd0309

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
So, I replaced the subs with the ones from the official dvd release. Much better now.
How did you do that?
I don't actually own a blu-ray player. My HDTV can display video files that are stored on a memory device, the preferred format being Matroska MKV files. I read both the blu-ray and dvd discs with my computer's blu-ray drive, using the MakeMKV software tool to rip the episodes and save them as MKV files onto my hard drive.

Using the MKVmerge tool (part of the MKVTooNix tool set), I can input both the blu and dvd MKV files at the same time, and pick & choose the blu video stream, the blu audio stream, and the dvd subtitle stream to merge (multiplex) into a new MKV file (though I had to add an initial delay of 800ms to the subtitle stream in order to synchronize with the audio).

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don't actually own a blu-ray player. My HDTV can display video files that are stored on a memory device, the preferred format being Matroska MKV files. I read both the blu-ray and dvd discs with my computer's blu-ray drive, using the MakeMKV software tool to rip the episodes and save them as MKV files onto my hard drive.

Using the MKVmerge tool (part of the MKVTooNix tool set), I can input both the blu and dvd MKV files at the same time, and pick & choose the blu video stream, the blu audio stream, and the dvd subtitle stream to merge (multiplex) into a new MKV file (though I had to add an initial delay of 800ms to the subtitle stream in order to synchronize with the audio).
Did not know that could be done (nor do I blame you for doing it, as bad as the subtitles are on that one Time Tunnel Blu)!

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Damn, I checked that site and the set is now sold out. Since it's been a bunch of years since the DVD releases, I wonder if perhaps Network could be persuaded to release a Blu-ray sets of Man of the World and The Sentimental Agent (or a combo set)?
Sorry to hear that they were sold out of The Sentimental Agent, Peter. Hopefully it's only temporary. In all honesty, I think it's highly unlikely that Network will release either this series or Man of the World on Blu, unfortunately.

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Daniel Boone - Season 2
Daniel Boone - Season 5

Once again from Wal-Mart, found extras of both seasons on their bargain $5.00 display. Over 40+ hours of viewing for $10 bucks. I call that a great bargain.
That's a great deal, Doug - enjoy!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claytonthsn