What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (3 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In regard to personal free time, nowadays I don't buy as many complete series sets.

I've found that when recent/current shows are cancelled and go off the air, they usually have very little to no rewatch value for me. This is why I haven't purchased recent complete series sets of stuff like: Elementary, Scorpion, Madam Secretary, The Big Bang Theory, Mr Robot, etc ... I probably won't bother buying the Gunsmoke complete series set either. (I use to watch Bonanza + Gunsmoke when I was a kid and thought about revisiting it again someday, but not currently).

So even if a dvd set I purchased has no immediate rewatch value for me, I still check all the dvd discs on the computer by extracting all the isos. It usually takes around an hour to check through five dvd discs, if there are no defective discs. This is a huge time sink for dvd sets with more than a dozen discs, especially for something which "I might watch someday".

I would rather have my own free time on other things, and not wasting an entire day running the computer on ripping 24+ dvd disc to check for manufacturing defects. For example, recently I've been doing more gardening and landscaping, and not watching my dvds/blurays.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
... have something I need in the cart but it's not enough for free shipping. I'm not paying $6 shipping unless I'm absolutely desperate for what I need.

I mostly do this for buying books from amazon. Not so much for dvds/blurays. Though I don't use amazon's "saved for later" or "wishlist" functions.

For the few times I do this for dvds/blurays, I keep a mental list of dump bin titles I'll buy if I need to just get over the minimum for free shipping. (ie. Stuff that would usually be $5 dvds/blurays at wallyworld).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
So even if a dvd set I purchased has no immediate rewatch value for me, I still check all the dvd discs on the computer by extracting all the isos. It usually takes around an hour to check through five dvd discs, if there are no defective discs. This is a huge time sink for dvd sets with more than a dozen discs, especially for something which "I might watch someday".

I would rather have my own free time on other things, and not wasting an entire day running the computer on ripping 24+ dvd disc to check for manufacturing defects.

(This may sound like petulant "first world issues" type complaining).

I always found the process of running the computer to check all the discs from large dvd (or bluray) sets for manufacturing defects, to be a very stressful and anxiety ridden procedure.

This dates back to my dvd purchases back in the day, where the first dvd I purchased (T2) was defective. This Terminator 2 dvd froze twenty minutes into the movie, where I had to pull the plug on the dvd player and plug it back in, in order to take that defective T2 disc out of my dvd player.

(This is why I never really trusted the dvd disc format at all, since its inception).

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I got the Timeless Media set of "Medic" from importcds and I have really enjoyed it. So far I've had the chance to watch two episodes They are full-length at 26 minutes. From this small sample size they fit a lot of story in, but they go along at a very measured pace. There is a good balance between technical medical information and characterization. The first two episodes I watched had happy endings where the medical procedures were a success. I found myself rooting for the characters, but it never got overly sentimental. What a nice diversion, and I look forward to watching more when I have the chance.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I got the Timeless Media set of "Medic" from importcds and I have really enjoyed it. So far I've had the chance to watch two episodes They are full-length at 26 minutes. From this small sample size they fit a lot of story in, but they go along at a very measured pace. There is a good balance between technical medical information and characterization. The first two episodes I watched had happy endings where the medical procedures were a success. I found myself rooting for the characters, but it never got overly sentimental. What a nice diversion, and I look forward to watching more when I have the chance.
I'm always amazed with those 50s/60s half-hour dramas that seemed to cram an hour's worth of story in a half hour show but never made it feel compressed or rushed.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm always amazed with those 50s/60s half-hour dramas that seemed to cram an hour's worth of story in a half hour show but never made it feel compressed or rushed.

If I had to guess, how many of these writers + producers were originally doing radio shows when they were younger before television?

Without a screen, I suspect radio shows had to be produced such that it keeps the attention of the audience. I know from listening to audiobooks, my attention starts drifiting away if the production seems really boring or "flat".

As time went on after the tv screen became ubquitious at home, it seems like producers had to resort to other ways to keep the attention of the audience. (ie. Car chases, shooting guns, pretty girls, etc ...).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

And I've just purchased from Amazon the all-in-one of another one of those half-hour dramas-- Timeless' all-in-one of Peter Gunn (that 1958-61 NBC/ABC jazz-flavored detective series w/the late Craig Stevens in the title role).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And I've just purchased from Amazon the all-in-one of another one of those half-hour dramas-- Timeless' all-in-one of Peter Gunn (that 1958-61 NBC/ABC jazz-flavored detective series w/the late Craig Stevens in the title role).
That's a very good one. My copy came with a CD of Henry Mancini's music for the series (IIRC Lola Albright also sings on a few) that I think has been omitted from later releases. Be sure to check the disc size when you get it as there were reports in the past of Amazon, too, selling bootleg copies (although I think those people *thought* they ordered from Amazon but really ordered from a MP vendor with "fulfilled by Amazon"). The original release had double thick cases and the discs are all double-layer. The boots reported have been in standard size cases with single-layer discs.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Be sure to check the disc size when you get it as there were reports in the past of Amazon, too, selling bootleg copies (although I think those people *thought* they ordered from Amazon but really ordered from a MP vendor with "fulfilled by Amazon"). The original release had double thick cases and the discs are all double-layer. The boots reported have been in standard size cases with single-layer discs.

I've read things to that effect lately-- hopefully I will be in receipt of the correct version.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Needed to add something to get my order over $25 to receive Amazon free shipping, so ordered the following:

91ZZjRXCFbL._SL1500_.jpg

Now I just need the post office to deliver my Gideon's Way DVD set from Network...been having an unusual amount of trouble with orders from the UK recently, what with this and the never received The Sentimental Agent. It might not be on the UK end, it may be issues with customs here in Japan.

Not too worried as of yet for Gideon's Way, as I've never not received an order that was shipped directly from Network. We're just coming out of the five day "Golden Week" national holiday here, so hopefully it'll turn up over the next few days. Fingers crossed...

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Charlie's Angels the complete series Blu ray
One Day at a Time complete series
Huckleberry Hound Show Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection
Angie The Complete Collection
Spenser for Hire Season two
I Spy Season three
MacGyver reboot Season three
Baa Baa Black Sheep season one
Castle Season eight
Police Woman season one
Foyle's War set three
Quincy M.E. Season seven

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Charlie's Angels the complete series Blu ray
One Day at a Time complete series
Huckleberry Hound Show Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection
Angie The Complete Collection
Spenser for Hire Season two
I Spy Season three
MacGyver reboot Season three
Baa Baa Black Sheep season one
Castle Season eight
Police Woman season one
Foyle's War set three
Quincy M.E. Season seven

Lots of good stuff there, Steve...happy viewing!

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Bonanza Season 9 Vol. 2 overpaid a little at $1.22 per episode but the set includes The Price of Salt and The Burning Sky (w/ Dawn Wells)
1588943668247.png

Simon and Simon season 6
High Chaparral seasons 1-3
The A-Team the complete series
Rhoda Seasons 2-4

Last edited:

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I got delivered to my house Wednesday and today,Gunsmoke season 19 on Wednesday. I got The Rifleman season 5 vol. one today. Today's package was delayed, it finally came today! Only one more season of Gunsmoke to go! Hopefully vol 2. of The Rifleman will come out later this year.
rm_s5v1_cvr_fr_400x512.png
512mzL0B8QL._SY445_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks